Morrissey A-Z: "There Speaks a True Friend"

its a jaunty little number,a bit of fun,not going to change anyones lives.think we have a corrupt youtube video with an abrupt ending.
7 true friends/10 friends for life.

An okay b-side that wears its 50s influences on fluorescent coloured sleeves. It ambles its way through some intriguing, more chromatic chord sequences but the listener ends up feeling short changed by the track’s close, with little development to this initial idea. Moz’s vocal also doesn’t completely gel with the backing, so everything feels pretty disconnected, all things considered.
5/10

I like the picture of him on the video. A fitting look on his face.

A very slight number, I played it frequently nonetheless around the time of its release. Wasn’t there a harmonica solo outro that was cut, hence the abrupt end to the song?

Well there isn’t much going on with this bizarre oddity, musically and lyrically it’s just so weak.
The usual self pitying Moz songs are always wonderful (slate grey Victorian skies) ECT
But this actually made it to a B side
And the ending ..... Well
I bet whilst in the studio someone shouted “ it’s ten to 4king three, nearly last orders down the dog and duck”and all instruments were dropped....

If anyone calls this a Moz Masterpiece today
Then I shall eat hay with a horse...

Well there isn’t much going on with this bizarre oddity, musically and lyrically it’s just so weak.
The usual self pitying Moz songs are always wonderful (slate grey Victorian skies) ECT
But this actually made it to a B side
And the ending ..... Well
I bet whilst in the studio someone shouted “ it’s ten to 4king three, nearly last orders down the dog and duck”and all instruments were dropped....

If anyone calls this a Moz Masterpiece today
Then I shall eat hay with a horse...
Very sensitive Moz Masterpiece, surrrrrley?

On a serious note, a catchy little ditty as someone else alluded to. I can’t think what other song this can be likened to from the M catalogue, which offers this some uniqueness, if nothing else.

Yes, a delightful little number.
Re; the abrupt ending, I've read previously that people were returning to record shops with their vinyl, concerned they'd bought a duff copy. :lbf:
'You listed all the things
That people cannot stand about me'

Marvellous!

This is such a cute little song. It seems to revel in its own simplicity, and in a way it sounds like some of the more basic stuff from a few of the C86 bands like Mighty Mighty or The Brilliant Corners. Jangly and kind of adorable and so obviously lightweight.

Impossible not to love this one. Musically frivoulous, sure, but certainly some weight to the lyrics. Back when I first heard it (in the mid 2000's), I thought I had a corrupt MP3, because of the ending...

Ah this little heart-tugger, difficult to keep a dry eye, joyful, silly, but so true.

a wonderful sound Ronson created for this one, the choice of reverbs, especially on the guitar solo breakdown, and keeping M’s voice close with a friends intimate directness, perfect! It’s Mr Whyte meets Herman’s Hermits, the playful whistling, the abrupt ending, what’s not to love!

🙃💜💚💙

You say I don't know how to live

(And that's true)

You say I don't deserve to live

Oh where would I be

without my friends to help me?

I just can't imagine where I'd be,

can you?

NO! “

Lyrically boring, tuneless and tinny-sounding guitars make this only slightly less unlistenable than anything included on his last four albums; a pointless effort.

(y)

another ❤️ tugging Moz Masterpiece💕
peeps, Moz holds the Masterpieces world record

:hammer:

I seem to equate the b-sides from this era as fairly equal in terms of quality ... songs like this one, Pashernate Love and Let The Right One Slip In. I liked them at the time but not much to revisit now. 6/10.

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom