Morrissey A-Z: "(The) Operation"

Southpaw Grammar is easily Morrissey's worst album.
It's the only album that doesn't have a single genuinely great song, just 3 or 4 quite good ones including this (well, the main section at least). But even the main section has a very obvious/predictable chord sequence (basically the same as Panic/Metal Guru/His Latest Flame).

Last edited:
Lol, Mavis Vegan has no idea what it is, no clue whatsoever.
Which is the same amount of knowledge she has about Morrissey. Every answer the same generic response
Using quotations marks, but makes the shit in the quotations marks up. One weird creature indeed.
Reckon she listens to the Meat Puppets or similar whilst quaffing burgers.

Wildly underrated, but spoiled a little by the ridiculously long intro and I suppose to some extent by his vocals, but that was normal for that period.

But I still like it a lot, especially the lyrics.

It's the only album that doesn't have a single genuinely great song, just 3 or 4 quite good ones including this (well, the main section at least). But even the main section has a very obvious/predictable chord sequence (basically the same as Panic/Metal Guru/His Latest Flame).

Yep. The only thing which comes close to "genuinely great" from the entire Southpaw Grammar sessions is the b-side Nobody Loves Us.

Great as a showpiece for Spencer, otherwise I think it’s the weakest track on Southpaw.

I count myself among those who think the closing track is up there with the very, very best music that any pop artist has ever made.

I definitely agree about SG not having a single truly great song (Southpaw is quite close) ... but IMHO neither does LIHS.

Last edited:
I loooove the drum intro with all those messy noises. So confused, so energetic, so punk. I love the atmosphere it generates. To you all who don't appreciate it: you just don't understand :LOL:

Cut out "fantastic bird" and add in "you must please remember" to the new version of Southpaw and you finally have the album how it should have been since the beginning.

How short is your attention span if the drums at the beginning of this song bother you? Go listen to "Moby Dick" and this will seem quite concise.

I think the point here is that Southpaw Grammar is kind of a 70's arena rock sort of record and a drum solo is part of the overall setting. The classical sample in "teachers" is kind of Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

really good tune and lyric when you eventually get to it

Cut out "fantastic bird" and add in "you must please remember" to the new version of Southpaw and you finally have the album how it should have been since the beginning.
And add Nobody Loves Us.

Yes, Nobody loves us, You must please, You should have been and Honey.
12 tracks album
Do you mean Honey as it is or as a finished track? To me it's a half decent demo at best. It sounds like an afterthought and then it just trails off into nothing. What do you like about it? The two demos to my ears don't even sound like the same session.

I think you can tell that I'm not a huge fan of clunky demos appearing on albums, especially albums that have burned their way into my consciousness. Those two SG B sides are so strong that I think they should've been on the album.

Last edited:
I love the drums at the start, the anticipation of what the song is going to turn into.

Do you mean Honey as it is or as a finished track? To me it's a half decent demo at best. It sounds like an afterthought and then it just trails off into nothing. What do you like about it? The two demos to my ears don't even sound like the same session.

I think you can tell that I'm not a huge fan of clunky demos appearing on albums, especially albums that have burned their way into my consciousness. Those two SG B sides are so strong that I think they should've been on the album.
I agree, a better studio version of Honey would be nice, but I like it, I find it light but pleasant, a better song than Do your best and don't worry, if you ask me. And I love You should have been nice to me.

I agree, a better studio version of Honey would be nice, but I like it, I find it light but pleasant, a better song than Do your best and don't worry, if you ask me. And I love You should have been nice to me.
I guess I'm so used to the eight songs as they play out on the album that I find the new demos tough to fit in. Do you know if they're actually from that era?

I guess I'm so used to the eight songs as they play out on the album that I find the new demos tough to fit in. Do you know if they're actually from that era?

I'm not sure, but I think so. The only song that has nothing to do with Southpaw Grammar is Fantastic Bird.
I sequenced my personal version of the album, including the 3 new songs and You must please remember, and I think it flows very well. A lot better than the official expanded version in my opinion.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom