Morrissey A-Z: "(The) Operation"

I guess I'm so used to the eight songs as they play out on the album that I find the new demos tough to fit in. Do you know if they're actually from that era?
They are from the Miraval sessions and, in some ways, I prefer those sessions to how the finished album turned out. Ideally they would have been included on a second disc on the reissue:

Cut out "fantastic bird" and add in "you must please remember" to the new version of Southpaw and you finally have the album how it should have been since the beginning.

I think Morrissey messing with the running order did it no favours at all, though.

They are from the Miraval sessions and, in some ways, I prefer those sessions to how the finished album turned out. Ideally they would have been included on a second disc on the reissue:

I think Morrissey messing with the running order did it no favours at all, though.

Yeah a second disc was warranted on a few of those reissues for sure.

I'm not sure, but I think so. The only song that has nothing to do with Southpaw Grammar is Fantastic Bird.
I sequenced my personal version of the album, including the 3 new songs and You must please remember, and I think it flows very well. A lot better than the official expanded version in my opinion.
I'll do the same now and see how it flows.

Just checked and I don't have You Must Please Remember. It's in storage :(

Last edited:
I'll do the same now and see how it flows.

Just checked and I don't have You Must Please Remember. It's in storage :(
This is mine:

Teachers
Reader
Boy racer
Nobody loves us
The operation
Dagenham Dave
Do your best
You must please remember
Honey
Best friend
You should have been nice
Southpaw

Masterpiece.

The fan edit ("QNox") that's been available for several years reveals that this could have been a single-worthy song. The melody is pleasant, the lyrics on point and the sentiment came from a heartfelt place of hurt & disappointment. I like the drum solo and the jam at the outro - which essentially replicates how they'd gin up "That's Entertainment" during the Kill Uncle tour - but it effectively buries the song and impels the more casual listener to hit the skip button. Bloody-mindedness overruled business sense.

The live treatment in fall 1995 (segue directly into the melody from the end of "Dagenham Dave") worked well, too.

Am excellent track.
The main part of the song bounces a long nicely, the lyric raises a smirk and the lads unleash a magnificent fury at the end.

The drum solo is just a bit too long, mind.
8/10

Definitely one of the best tracks on Southpaw. The hook is compliments the heavy guitar masterfully. The lyrics are gorgeous as always! Never doubt Moz, 10/10.

When Morrissey was using the drums for the Operation as his intro music before he walked on stage I really think he should've had Matt Walker who I think was the drummer at the time to play it live and then as it finishes out walks Morrissey and the rest of the band.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom