Morrissey A-Z: "The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye"

Mark Nevin is a much underrated Morrissey song co-writer with a surprising number of really great compositions (e.g. The Loop, I know it's gonna happen, My love life, Changed my plea, Driving your g/f, Sing your life etc.) but there's no defending this one!

Actually this Nico song below with its piano and percussion made me think of The Harsh Truth in a way...

The dismissal of Popa Jack from the ill-advised Maladjusted remaster is one of the biggest scandals in Morrissey's back catalogue. Time will tell.
You misspelt Roy's Keen...

Depends on how you define ‘ambient noise’ but Morrissey did grow up on those Nico albums, The Marble Index, Desertshore and The End.. which are full of what can be
labeled ambient noise. Beautiful (& beyond words to describe these) records, if you’re not yet familiar with them.

Though I’m sure he welcomed Langer and Winstanley’s
added sounds, in a way, just an extension of laughter or samples used in some Smiths songs.

I posted a Nico song on the next page .....
I am familiar with Nico's first album, less so with the later ones (just listening now). It's indeed an entirely different but rewarding listening experience. You have an amazing taste for music, KS !

Can’t hear it my self Ket

The underlying piano rhythm & percussion are similarly paced, but the songs are quite different in the end. I think what Ketanine Sune wanted to point out is that the musical backdrop to Harsh Truth is very common in Nico's songs, which might explain Morrissey's attraction to it.

The underlying piano rhythm & percussion are similarly paced, but the songs are quite different in the end. I think what Ketanine Sune wanted to point out is that the musical backdrop to Harsh Truth is very common in Nico's songs, which might explain Morrissey's attraction to it.
Yes I understand the Nico sound to this track, as ket said,
But for me I didn’t hear it ..
moz has probably asked many musicians, producers for a certain sound, from his own influences , this probably one ...
I get what your both saying,
Unfortunately I can hear it ...

I’m not saying that I’m speaking for everyone, but I don’t think much of the music instrumental backings that Morrissey has sung on would be noticed or listened to much without his art slapped on top, and that includes The Smiths too.

Yes, they’re all fine and enjoyable on their own, but not repeated listens, not really.

Let’s be honest, those instrumentals, even Marr’s songs without Morrissey singing on them would not have produced the same reaction, fandom, love and continued longevity those songs have if Morrissey did not sing on them.
Obviously wouldn't produce the same reaction but many Smith songs stand up as instrumentals in their own right. Some I prefer as instrumentals. Harsh truth isn't one of them.

Obviously wouldn't produce the same reaction but many Smith songs stand up as instrumentals in their own right. Some I prefer as instrumentals. Harsh truth isn't one of them.

I agree, some instrumentals are more listenable than others.
But, the instrumental would never get the attention they have without Morrissey’s golden touch.

Yes, some Smiths instrumentals are really great, but I do believe we wouldn’t be here just for them.

I’m not saying that I’m speaking for everyone, but I don’t think much of the music instrumental backings that Morrissey has sung on would be noticed or listened to much without his art slapped on top, and that includes The Smiths too.

Yes, they’re all fine and enjoyable on their own, but not repeated listens, not really.

Let’s be honest, those instrumentals, even Marr’s songs without Morrissey singing on them would not have produced the same reaction, fandom, love and continued longevity those songs have if Morrissey did not sing on them.
That's just nature of pop songs! People much prefer songs with vocal than instrumentals.

True, the Smiths is one of the rare bands that instrumentals stand out themselves. I started to love the Smiths after listening the instrumentals on Youtube. They are just amazing.. Their soundcheck recording is also amazing and has different feeling when it's with vocal. I used to listen it again and again.

Never got into this song,I have no doubt that one day the penny will drop and I will listen to it constantly and wonder how I didn't realise how good it is.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom