Morrissey A-Z: "Sister I'm a Poet"

Very diplomatic. You say 'different arrangement' I say 'butchered'.

I should get a job as Moz's guitarist. I can't play either and have very different 'arrangements' to offer.
One is pop, one is rockabilly. Two different takes, two different arrangements. If you prefer one over the other, that’s fine. But to say one is butchered just because it’s obviously a completely different and a much rougher take on the song is ignorant. It wasn’t ever meant to sound like the studio version. Same goes for Sing Your Life, King Leer and The Loop.

Joyous youth ! romantic youth !
rush to danger ! wind up nowhere, and happy to be so.

And I wonder, Does anybody feel the same way I do?”

such a simple line that at the time
cemented my devotion, never to look back !

VIVA MOZ !!!

💙 :)

Love this song in all of it's incarnations, even the 2007/2008 outings which many felt were just another Jesse chop job.

One is pop, one is rockabilly. Two different takes, two different arrangements. If you prefer one over the other, that’s fine. But to say one is butchered just because it’s obviously a completely different and a much rougher take on the song is ignorant. It wasn’t ever meant to sound like the studio version. Same goes for Sing Your Life, King Leer and The Loop.
'Rougher' is right.

Love both these versions, whether 'pop' or 'rockabilly'; it's an absolutely brilliant, lively number, & definitely uplifting. Especially love the general 'twang', & the double bass is amazing in the rockabilly version. My fave part of the lyric is:
"And is evil just something you are
Or something you do?"

Simply brilliant.

Can't access PJLM, but there's a limited entry on Google stating "This is very likely the song that had the working title "Sisterama"."

Last edited by a moderator:
Love both these versions, whether 'pop' or 'rockabilly'; it's an absolutely brilliant, lively number, & definitely uplifting. Especially love the general 'twang', & the double bass is amazing in the rockabilly version. My fave part of the lyric is:
"And is evil just something you are
Or something you do?"

Simply brilliant.

Can't access PJLM, but there's a limited entry on Google stating "This is very likely the song that had the working title "Sisterama"."
I had a couple of setlists with “sisterama” on them.

I had a couple of setlists with “sisterama” on them.
I mentioned it simply because a couple of years ago there was some question as to whether 'Sisterama' was an unheard/unreleased track, or whether it actually was SIAP itself. There was a picture on here of a cassette tape with 'Sisterama' written on it by the sound engineer at the time. All adds to the history as far as I'm concerned.

I mentioned it simply because a couple of years ago there was some question as to whether 'Sisterama' was an unheard/unreleased track, or whether it actually was SIAP itself. There was a picture on here of a cassette tape with 'Sisterama' written on it by the sound engineer at the time. All adds to the history as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, I remember that . It made me laugh, as at the time it was quite common knowledge that the song was Sister I'm a...

this is a song about lesbians. thanks!
Yes, if you consider M is a lesbian, then it is.
I guess you were joking,..
Its about his own influence on Manchester (or wherever) , under the guise of a conversation about his sister

On another note it has his best philosophical reduction since, "Does the mind rule the body or does the body rule the mind, don't know"
With his " Is evil something you are or something you do "

'Rougher' is right.
Actually, I think M even admitted the band weren't that good live in terms of musicianship
It was a lack of ability, as to why the songs sounded different,a lot of the time. It was awful what they did with the Suede cover. M's voice was great but the band were a bit shite.

They still made good studio records but live it became more of a rougher, NY Dolls kind of "event" rather than polished gigs, great gigs mind.
I myself enjoyed the shows, but I could understand the fans not liking it. Its often been the case post Smiths , that M could do way better, if only he had a better band and thats what annoyed people, the frustration of underachievment

Yes, if you consider M is a lesbian, then it is.
I guess you were joking,..
Its about his own influence on Manchester (or wherever) , under the guise of a conversation about his sister

On another note it has his best philosophical reduction since, "Does the mind rule the body or does the body rule the mind, don't know"
With his " Is evil something you are or something you do "

As I said: This is a song about lesbians!

As I said: This is a song about lesbians!
As I said, "Yes" If M is about lesbian" (this could go on, all day. Thus, I will stop it here)

I do hope you are joking, I do. I do. I do (said in the voice of an Irish builder)

Its about lesbians, because...? Surely ( "Don't call me Shirley") it's not because it has the word " sister" in it, that would be a bit sad
If you really do think its a song about lesbians, would you show the class your working out sheet?

You know, on its most basic level its about a conversation about himself and his influence etc , but what makes you think it doubles up as a lesbo stomper?
Because if it is , that is brilliant, I missed it, which is rare but I would be thrilled if it was about dykes, I usually get M's stuff off the bat (not boasting, I expect a number of people get it off the bat, so to speak), but happy to admit when Im wrong and learn new things.

OR is this "its a song about lesbians" merely an awful attempt at being amusing?
At this point, I hope for your sake , you were being serious and have good reason. As if it was meant a bit, a jap, a joke, a funny . Then its really a case of , as my friend says at these points " Oh dear"

Now come to the front of the class, pick up your chalk and show the class your workings out, please

As I said, "Yes" If M is about lesbian" (this could go on, all day. Thus, I will stop it here)

I do hope you are joking, I do. I do. I do (said in the voice of an Irish builder)

Its about lesbians, because...? Surely ( "Don't call me Shirley") it's not because it has the word " sister" in it, that would be a bit sad
If you really do think its a song about lesbians, would you show the class your working out sheet?

You know, on its most basic level its about a conversation about himself and his influence etc , but what makes you think it doubles up as a lesbo stomper?
Because if it is , that is brilliant, I missed it, which is rare but I would be thrilled if it was about dykes, I usually get M's stuff off the bat (not boasting, I expect a number of people get it off the bat, so to speak), but happy to admit when Im wrong and learn new things.

OR is this "its a song about lesbians" merely an awful attempt at being amusing?
At this point, I hope for your sake , you were being serious and have good reason. As if it was meant a bit, a jap, a joke, a funny . Then its really a case of , as my friend says at these points " Oh dear"

Now come to the front of the class, pick up your chalk and show the class your workings out, please
im on the spectrum :)

You’re arguing with (yet) another of the Solo comedians. Another one with his very own schtick. Try not to kill yourself laughing.

Absolute classic, poppy and something constantly stuck in my head. Certainly an underrated gem.

Love this song in all of it's incarnations, even the 2007/2008 outings which many felt were just another Jesse chop job.

I completely forgot about the "Greatest Hits" tour version. Just revisited the Hammerstein Ballroom 2007 version and found it lacking.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom