Morrissey A-Z: "Sing Your Life"

One bit of confusing info however re; this song: Paresi is credited as drummer on this track (& the KU album) on wiki, whereas it's clearly Spencer in the video, & on the KROQ image. PJLM seems to be down atm. Can anyone clarify?

Last edited by a moderator:
One bit of confusing info however re; this song: Paresi is credited as drummer on this track (& the KU album) on wiki, whereas it's clearly Spencer in the video, & on the KROQ image. PJLM seems to be down atm. Can anyone clarify?

Well, studio version came first with Paresi on drums. Spencer chosen for the video (maybe because he looked the part, if he wasn’t by then chosen to make up the touring band) and then played drums on the other versions, live and KROQ recorded on the first part of the American KU tour.

Lyrically it is actually strangely hilarious at times, but I think a lot of his songs of this era were just a bit forgettable, a bit throwaway, and this is perhaps one of them. But I still quite like it.

This song was named after a Morrissey fanzine from America.

;)

Regarded as a musical insult to the Smiths hook heavy musical legacy at the time.

For me this is gorgeous.

I even like the 'Senior Life' parody of it in the early 2000s.

So lacking in confidence and purpose, during which he somehow found the courage to get a band together and plan a tour to conquer the world.

So lacking in confidence and purpose that he wasn't sure that he even wanted to release Kill Uncle, and thought about recording a different album entirely.

Don't let the facts get in the way though, eh...

So are you saying that he didn’t have enough confidence and purpose that
it disabled him to the point where he couldn’t put a band together and face a world tour?

These are ALSO the facts.

:tiphat:
We are discussing the studio recordings and a song on Kill Uncle. He did have a lack of confidence in the studio and in Kill Uncle.

We are discussing the studio recordings and a song on Kill Uncle. He did have a lack of confidence in the studio and in Kill Uncle.

Yes but we need to take into consideration all facts. That, yes he
he may have not have had confidence in the material, but he had enough confidence and purpose
to put a band together and face a world tour.

One of the sweetest songs Morrissey ever wrote. It's really unlike anything else in his oeuvre. It's a serious injustice that it was never elevated to "standard" status ala "My Way" or "Cheek to Cheek" or something. Tony Bennett should be crooning this at a Palm Springs lounge show with an audience full of geriatrics.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom