Morrissey A-Z: "Seasick, Yet Still Docked"

Most likely on my Moz solo Top 5. Very near perfection, this one. I can still remember being 19, discovering it for the first time. Soundtrack to my life.

What a song this is! 8 short verses, undulating from utter despair to dark humour and back again. Beautiful music, great production, gorgeous singing. For those of us who are prone to self-loathing, this is one of the most soothing, comforting things in the world. Magical.

It’s not one of my personal faves but peeps. It does qualify as a Moz Masterpiece
Very nice ballad, all the same :hammer:

so relaxing,goes along at a snails pace.words and music are great.is this a ten,a frayed knot but a nine at least.
9 sharps/10 needles.

It seems like I rocked the boat yesterday with my interpretation of Scandinavia, so it is fitting that today we are Seasick, Yet Still Docked.

A beautiful, melancholic plod - not one of my all time favourites, but a very strong song nontheless. I want to spend the day listening to 'Beethoven Was Deaf' now, but my colleagues would surely hound me out of the office...

One of his greatest pieces. Out of time with great lyrics. Gary Day's double bass is the icing on the cake. And then people seriously claim he can still do this since WPINOYB. Maybe now that Alain Whyte is active again!

Arsenal is his best album, and this sorrowful lament ranks with his best songs. A warm acoustic strum, coupled with the sounds of waves crashing and the tender, delicate soloing that invites its way to Moz’s lyrical sorrows. Some lyrical crackers here: “I’ve got no charm...” especially, somewhat blackly comically, accepts his presumed fate with a whisper. When it was played at Wembley, everyone was spellbound - as they should have been.
10/10

Arsenal is his best album, and this sorrowful lament ranks with his best songs. A warm acoustic strum, coupled with the sounds of waves crashing and the tender, delicate soloing that invites its way to Moz’s lyrical sorrows. Some lyrical crackers here: “I’ve got no charm...” especially, somewhat blackly comically, accepts his presumed fate with a whisper. When it was played at Wembley, everyone was spellbound - as they should have been.
10/10
He often looks so utterly bereft when he sings this, doesn't he? Like it's reminding him of particularly painful memories.

Pure perfection.
Every single line hits the nail while the ship sets sai.
The desolate accoustic strum provides the perfect backbone.

Alain and Mick Ronson both deserve a huge amount of credit here, and it was songs like this that helped the album to secure good reviews after the critical drubbing that the first two singles had received.

The lyrics are sometimes inspired, but sometimes veer perilously close to self-parody. I recall that when the NME reviewed Beethoven Was Deaf, they were heavily critical of, "No one has even given me anything". You can understand why, as a man with millions of pounds and millions of fans shouldn't really be singing that line.

Lyrically I much prefer the optimism of I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday over the self-pity that Morrissey exhibits here, but I understand why it is so popular.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 25th from 264 solo songs.

I can remember getting YA and just played it to death.
After everything died down about two weeks later I realised that this song was probably one of the best on that album..
The lyrics were meaningful at the time as well

This song has a really great verse melody and instrumentation.
But ... there's no other section to the song. It needs another musical bit.
That's why it always falls a bit flat. It feels like a half-written part of a brilliant song.

EXCELLENT! SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,ONE OF MY FAVORITES THAT ARE MANY MANY MANY!!! 10/10,y MOZ HERMOSOO VIVA MOZ!!!!!❤️💖💖💖❤️❤️❤️❤️

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom