Morrissey A-Z: "Reader Meet Author"

Good

Southpaw G is easily Morrissey's worst album - it's the only album that doesn't have at least one great song.
It's got two or three pretty good ones though including this, probably the best one on the album.
Love the guitar sounds and melodies, and the strings are nice too. Bit of a 'classic rock' feel about it which isn't usually my cuppa tea, but I like it here.
Can you mention a great song on Kill Uncle? Much worse in my opinion. Of course you may not like it, but Southpaw is fun, rock, energetic at least. The poor production is what ruins Kill Uncle for me, because if treated better, some songs could have shown.
That said, Kill Uncle is and always will be, Morrissey's worst album.

Last edited:
Can you mention a great song on Kill Uncle? Much worse in my opinion. Of course you may not like it, but Southpaw is fun, rock, energetic at least. The poor production is what ruins Kill Uncle for me, because if treated better, some songs could have shined.
Mute Witness and Our Frank I love. The rockabilly version of Sing Your Life is absolute banger.

Mute Witness and Our Frank I love. The rockabilly version of Sing Your Life is absolute banger.
Driving Your Girlfriend Home is very understated, but I'd still call that a great track. It really represents Morrissey at his most sensitive and ambivalent best in all respects.

Driving Your Girlfriend Home is very understated, but I'd still call that a great track. It really represents Morrissey at his most sensitive and ambivalent best in all respects.
Ahh yes I knew I was missing one more. I'd LOVE to see him dust this off live. In fact I'd love to see him dust off 3 or 4 Kill Uncle tracks.

Well Mute Witness I love it too... ;)
Who can go past the ABC live version, sends shivers down the spine. I have this somewhere on much better quality on video, now all I need is to find a video player so I can watch it, LOL.

EDIT: Just rewatching this for the 1str time in ages and thinking about Alain returning to the band. back in '91 playing to these types/sizes of audiences The Lads must have felt like they were living in some type of bizarro dreamland. The hysteria around Moz in America in '91 and '92 was insane. In-f***ing-sane.

Last edited:
I don’t remember who said it, but Morrissey was suffering bad colds at the time.
Steve Lilywhite and he blamed it on Moz's bad (dairy-heavy) diet.

Can you mention a great song on Kill Uncle? Much worse in my opinion. Of course you may not like it, but Southpaw is fun, rock, energetic at least. The poor production is what ruins Kill Uncle for me, because if treated better, some songs could have shown.
Sing Your Life and Driving Your G/F are two brilliant songs.
There's 4 or 5 more on Kill Uncle that I enjoy listening to.
Other than Reader Meet Author, there's nothing I would choose to listen to on Southpaw Grammar (apart from maybe Southpaw).
It's just a joyless slog. The Dagenham Dave b-sides are great though.

Part of me thinks Asian rut is maybe the best song musically on kill uncle

Ahh yes I knew I was missing one more. I'd LOVE to see him dust this off live. In fact I'd love to see him dust off 3 or 4 Kill Uncle tracks.

Yes, it would be good, now that he has keyboard in the band.

Maybe Morrissey got wind of Alain’s love for ‘Our Frank’ and will make a Vegas appearance?

Yes, it would be good, now that he has keyboard in the band.

Maybe Morrissey got wind of Alain’s love for ‘Our Frank’ and will make a Vegas appearance?
He's had a live keyboardist for seventeen years, now.

I'd be very surprised if we see a Kill Uncle track live again.

He's had a live keyboardist for seventeen years, now.

Really?! I didn’t know that ! :rolleyes:
I'd be very surprised if we see a Kill Uncle track live again.

I mean, now that he has keyboards
also, those KU songs would be fuller sounding live, than the sparse versions back on the 91 tour.

I was making the half serious connection with Alain liking that song, and now that he’s back, that
it might be played again. Of course it most likely won’t be.

Southpaw Grammar may not be the greatest Morrissey album, per se, as he probably appears on less than half of it, but to me it's the sound of his best band (line up) having the time of their life, thrashing away to their heart's content. I particularly love the flirtation with prog rock and consider opener and closing tracks stunningly beautiful and hypnotic pieces of music. I do think as a whole, the concept (boxing, rough, violence) is flawed, just like Morrissey is, which makes SG even more attractive to me. A fine example of a perfect imperfection if you will. With time, it became one of my favourite Moz albums but I can understand why so many fans dislike it.

Last edited:

The first of our three R's is this Morrissey/Boorer composition from Southpaw Grammar.

What do we think?

A wonderful song about class war- squarely aimed at The Guardian types, i'd guess.
Some say its about Julie Burchill , though I think its more about Suzanne Moore, Julie still mixies with the roughs of the world, which M is still aware off. I expect Journalists Who Lie is about Julie though, in part.
The trouble, is the song suffered, hugely, by Pulp beating M to the punch with Common People. though in reality they were both penning them in parallel (I think)
Class was very much an issue in London at the time, it still is but, as usual, the working class lost
The early 90s started with London being an English Capital city, it ended by being an interchangeable international hub, which it remains today . Its own little country which despises the country that surrounds it.
As nice as Reader is , it has none of the scathing attack of Common People. Sad to say it, but Jarvis out powered him at this point. I think "weed" may have been around at this time for the band and maybe the second hand fumes (or first) got to M . He needed to key into the kind of kick and scratch he had in Hand In Glove or I Wish You Lonely . A mark of how god the song is , it works well in demo , live and on the LP .

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom