Morrissey A-Z: "Oh Well, I'll Never Learn"

A simple straight forward song with no thrills, yet supports Suedehead
Very nicely as a neat package...
Not a song I listen to regularly but enjoyed hearing it again this morning

This is a superb song,the fantasy vocals and the music are magnificent.I would go as far to say that this was a perfect cd single,every song pure quality.

There aren't that many Morrissey b-sides that genuinely seem like filler, but this is one.

It feels incredibly underwritten in the same way that the discarded Treat Me Like a Human Being and Safe, Warm Lancashire Home were.

In the poll on the Hoffman board this ranked 251st from 264 solo songs.

not a terrible song,just doesnt grab me the way others do,reminds me of i couldnt understand why people laughed.
7 doesnt grab me /10 doesnt grab me.

A nice little song, this. Very Velvet Underground-esque (something off of the self-titled), especially with the tambourine and intricate fingerpicking. The lyrics are thin, but they fit the short format: in comparison with "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name," though, they pale by comparison. The vocal performance is also nice, elevating it slightly - I even hear a bit of Brett Anderson in the phrasing of the first line. A fine b-side, that is a confusing paradox: on the one hand, you wish he might have developed it a bit more, but, then again, there's something special about the track that slots nicely into a concise form.
7/10

It's a sweet little ghost of a song, there's something spectral and defeated about it. I pick up on that VU (Sunday Morning?) vibe, too, and it also sounds like 61% of the songs released on the Sarah Records label.

It's a sweet little ghost of a song, there's something spectral and defeated about it. I pick up on that VU (Sunday Morning?) vibe, too, and it also sounds like 61% of the songs released on the Sarah Records label.
Yes, I see what you're getting at with the "Sunday Morning" comparison. More so, actually, I thought that the arrangement sounded similar to something like "Candy Says" or "Jesus", with the tambourine and the hushed feel.

It's a common thread running through many Moz songs, but it always amazes me, with simplistic, basic lyrics, just how much he is able to add to 2 minutes of wistful, dreamy music through the clever use of vocal tone, the stretching of notes, & perfectly positioned pause.
This is delightful.

Given that this was allegedly written in the interim between the end of the Smiths and the beginning of Morrissey's solo career, I think it's likely that the line "Chapter one again, here I go again" holds some significant relevance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention that although it will never happen I would love Morrissey to do an orchestral album and I would love this to be one of the tracks.I used to play the cello as a child and I can hear it accompanying.

A fine b- side that closes the fantastisch Suedehead EP. It is not a track that I return to for its own sake, except now as it takes its turn in the A to Z thread on a Sunda morning (as it should be).

Never been a huge fan, but it’s sweet and chock full of that innocence and wistfulness that permeated those early solo recordings.

I really like this one. Definitely a b-side and Suedehead didn't really need any support to be a great single, but it doesn't really feel underwritten to me, just simple. Call it minimal.
7/10

Less is more. PERFECT from beginning to end, wouldn’t change a thing about it.

and original, to say the least.

A perfect little b-side. Who else could write "I found the fountain of youth and I fell in"? Spiritually related to this, no doubt:

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom