Morrissey A-Z: "My Dearest Love"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Whyte composition, a B-side on the "All You Need Is Me" single and rounded up on the Swords compilation.

What do we think of this one?

I remember this one getting a warm reception as it was initially making the rounds. Didn't much like it then and feel just about the same now. I think there's a pretty decent song hidden underneath the stiff production and the dull performance. Would be nice to remix a song like this, I think it could really benefit from less of a "rock" treatment and lean a little closer to a clubbier atmosphere in the same vein as "How Soon is Now?"

Sounded great just now. Especially after having the company of my friend Ken earlier today, who asked me some probing questions about how I feel about Morrissey.

I remember this one getting a warm reception as it was initially making the rounds. Didn't much like it then and feel just about the same now. I think there's a pretty decent song hidden underneath the stiff production and the dull performance. Would be nice to remix a song like this, I think it could really benefit from less of a "rock" treatment and lean a little closer to a clubbier atmosphere in the same vein as "How Soon is Now?"
Yeah lay off the percussion, Alain!

One of the best 2000s b-sides, for sure. The ominous piano mixed with the melismatic vocals make for an intriguing start which builds into a sixties-type song. Organ dominates and adds another interesting texture, while, as per the norm, Moz’s vocal soars, especially in the thrilling climax. Guitars skyrocket as Moz scats, making for a truly underrated gem.
8/10

I was never keen on this song until we had a discussion about swords on here about 6-8 months back.
I think it was Hovis that said this was his fave song on swords.

So I dusted the CD down and played this song to death very loudly in the car...
It’s fandabbydozy....

stripped back this could be a bond theme,always loved this.great music and his voice is great on this.
10 grotesquely lonelys/10 grotesquely lonelys.VIVAMOZZ ON A TUESDAY MORNING.

Yeah, this ranks among his very best post-comeback b-sides. Heartfelt and dramatic, ominous and melancholy. Always loved it.

For me, this is as close to perfection as it gets.
An unusual start as the beautifully dark & melancholic tone of the forceful piano (Michael Farrell?) kicks off the track, accompanied by wonderfully powerful drums (Matt Walker), both of which dominate the track throughout for me & give the song a strong heartbeat. The strength of these seem at odds with the sentiment of the song, but it all works so very, very well & add to the full emotion of the song. Even the scything guitar as the song reaches its final crescendo, again at odds with the beautiful lyrics, works so well.
Moz's voice is utterly, & outrageously superb. The track is that good, I can even forgive the ba-da-bap-bows.
Perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, this is as close to perfection as it gets.
An unusual start as the beautifully dark & melancholic tone of the forceful piano (Michael Farrell?) kicks off the track, accompanied by wonderfully powerful drums (Matt Walker), both of which dominate the track throughout for me & give the song a strong heartbeat. The strength of these seem at odds with the sentiment of the song, but it all works so very, very well & add to the full emotion of the song. Even the scything guitars as the song reaches its final crescendo, again at odds with the beautiful lyrics, works so well.
Moz's voice is utterly, & outrageously superb. The track is that good, I can even forgive the ba-da-bap-bows.
Perfect.
Ba da bap bow

I truly do love this one.

Not sure what Santolalla brought to the table on this track, but there's something about the yearning in Morrissey's voice that's quite compelling.
Played 10 times live and luckily caught it once myself.
One of my most played B's.
Regards,
FWD.

Not sure what Santolalla brought to the table on this track, but there's something about the yearning in Morrissey's voice that's quite compelling.
Played 10 times live and luckily caught it once myself.
One of my most played B's.
Regards,
FWD.
Wiki states: "The B-side of the Decca (#4780964) single "My Dearest Love" was written by Morrissey along with Alain Whyte, the two being responsible for lyrics and music respectively. The song was recorded in Los Angeles and produced by Oscar and BAFTA winning composer Gustavo Santaolalla, responsible for Brokeback Mountain, Babel and The Motorcycle Diaries. The song received additional production by Jerry Finn, the man behind 2004’s You Are the Quarry."

Wonder if Chiccarelli engineered this one as well. Seems quite likely since he is credited for the other Santaolalla-produced track, Children In Pieces.

Edit: Yes, he did. It helps to read the credits correctly.

One of the best 2000s b-sides, for sure. The ominous piano mixed with the melismatic vocals make for an intriguing start which builds into a sixties-type song. Organ dominates and adds another interesting texture, while, as per the norm, Moz’s vocal soars, especially in the thrilling climax. Guitars skyrocket as Moz scats, making for a truly underrated gem.
8/10
'Underrated Gem' sums this one up perfectly.

Wonder if Chiccarelli engineered this one as well. Seems quite likely since he is credited for the other Santaolalla-produced track, Children In Pieces.

Edit: Yes, he did. It helps to read the credits correctly.
Yes, usual suspects with him.
My wondering about Santolalla was simply based on how lauded he is.
I just can't hear anything to indicate an Oscar-Winning producer has 'twiddled' with the song to warrant his use.
Love the song though.
FWD.

It didn't do much for me at first.
Then, (re)discovered it during its brief appearance on the setlist in 2015.
Love ot now.

Quite a good song but feels unfinished. I think it needs one more verse. From 2:47 - 3:54, it just goes nowhere.

A superior b-side and it has a nice moody quality to it. I don't think there's a huge amount of substance, but it's well executed by everyone concerned.

Morrissey's assured vocal helps.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 78th from 264 solo songs.

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom