Morrissey A-Z: "Lover-To-Be"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Boorer composition which originally appeared on the deluxe edition of Low in High School and was then released as a 7-inch vinyl single.

What do we think?

I like the music. I have only listened to this a few times. Lyrics and vocal don't really do it for me but maybe if I played it more I'd start to like it. 5/10

His worst song.

A fine bonus track here, but it pales in comparison to the mighty “Never Again Will I Be A Twin”. It’s nice enough although, overall, it feels like they’ve thrown everything at something that isn’t really there. Every progression leads to a dead end, seemingly without the purpose to do so, at least on the surface. I don’t dislike it: I think the saving grace is Moz’s voice, switching between different timbres and ranges. Aside from that, it’s a bit of a mess.
5/10

it is what it is,a middle of the road song,not one of his best but certainly not one of his worst,its like they had an extra day in the studio and tried a few different things musically.his voice isnt really challenged on this as M can hit these notes all day.
7 peachy/10 keens.

I like the loose and seemingly unrehearsed feel of this one. Morrissey gives a very relaxed delivery and the lyrics seem quite spontaneous. Good to hear him doing something different and it sounds like he's having fun.

The highlight, for me, is the answer to the question, "What is money compared to love?"

I prefer this to several songs on Low in High School.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 145th from 264 solo songs.

I quite enjoy this, even though it never really goes anywhere. But of a Joe Jackson vibe at times, which is never a bad thing. But is it memorable? No, not really.

I also don't think it's worth mentioning, that Morrissey leaves his comfort zone and goes other ways. He clearly has trouble with it and is not a good improviser. The bonus tracks on LIHS are light years away from his best work.

A fine bonus track here, but it pales in comparison to the mighty “Never Again Will I Be A Twin”. It’s nice enough although, overall, it feels like they’ve thrown everything at something that isn’t really there. Every progression leads to a dead end, seemingly without the purpose to do so, at least on the surface. I don’t dislike it: I think the saving grace is Moz’s voice, switching between different timbres and ranges. Aside from that, it’s a bit of a mess.
5/10
I always love reading your comments. Very articulate. You use words I can never imagine using.

I love this track, one of my favourites. Moz takes us in a different direction yet again.
I love the way the drums & bass kick in at the start, and dominate throughout the track, plus the general 'Doorsy' keyboard funk feel is divine, all topped with a sprinkling of guitar emphasis in all the right places.
Oh oh ohhhh....might not be Thursday, might not be Friday, but Mozzy serves it my way!
Certainly more than OK by me.

reminds of this song, something in the groove, but nowhere as good as this shocking blue ...,

:cool:

Leftovers are often leftovers for a good reason.

Nah, leftovers are great! especially
restaurant leftovers, even cold the next day when you’re too lazy to cook something new.

Don’t tell me this has never happened to you?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom