Morrissey A-Z: "Lifeguard on Duty"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Street composition, recorded during the Viva Hate sessions but not released until the 2010 reissue of Bona Drag.

What do we think of this one?

Lovely piece of jangle pop! I much prefer Happy Lovers...but there is no denying that this is a great little pop song about the trials and tribulations of life as a thin skinned introvert.

A nice jangle pop piece, with a great and clever hook attached to it. I’m not the biggest fan of the Bona Drag bonus tracks, but this is definitely one of my favourites from that group. Very listenable, but also clear to see why it perhaps was vetoed in favour of something else that was more creative and/or better.
6/10

From my point of view, one of the best songs from the the eighty seven/hate period. On the one hand, it really could have been a last magnificent Smiths b-side, on the other, it has that irresistible early Moz solo vibe. The song has the winning touch. Wonderful!

First time I've heard this one and it's rather jolly, isn't it? Am I the only one who hears hints of 'Back on the Chain Gang' in places?

There are a handful of tracks from the Viva Hate sessions that are lovely but about 75% written. This one, "Happy Lovers United," "Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness," "Treat Me Like a Human Being" and maybe some others. Treats for the diehards, but I can understand why they were locked in the vault for so long.

As usual, Morrissey advances the vocabulary of pop music with both "vestibule" and "phlegm."

like it,very funny lyrics."a baseball bat across the collarbone",dont know who else could write a line like this,answers on a postcard to.
8 lifes/10 guards.

It's another water-themed song with a light and uplifting tune, and the wordplay "Lifeguard safe me from life" is quite funny.
Being 75% finished holds back its potential a little, but certainly a worthwhile piece in the collector's corner.

To use a horribly outdated adjective, this song is kind of adorkable. It's just a really sweet throwback to that Smiths sound (I'm also picking up some early R.E.M. jangle in Street's composition) with some cute lyrics and one or two vocal melody parts that almost soar, but never quite do. And the whole concept of needing to be saved from life itself is quintessential Morrissey. Love it!

This is very lightweight and I think it was a sensible choice to not include it on Viva Hate. That said, it would have been a decent b-side and should have replaced the substandard Oh Well, I'll Never Learn.

Musically it is very amiable and undemanding and, despite a few moments of humour, lyrically it is rather on the nose.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 154th from 264 solo songs.

To use a horribly outdated adjective, this song is kind of adorkable. It's just a really sweet throwback to that Smiths sound (I'm also picking up some early R.E.M. jangle in Street's composition) with some cute lyrics and one or two vocal melody parts that almost soar, but never quite do. And the whole concept of needing to be saved from life itself is quintessential Morrissey. Love it!
The intro is Near Wild Heaven rip-off.

Life-guard, save me from life. Trying waaaaay too hard.

Vocal is lovely though.

I adore this track, especially how the bass kicks in on this lightweight, 'victim' focused tune; subject matter is very Moz.
I love his interpretation of 'life guard' (guard me from life), the clever lyrics (drenched in phlegm, baseball bat), & the Paresi drumming.
Not a masterpiece, but I never tire of hearing this one. It's delightful with its innocent, vulnerable & naïve sounding vocals. Love it.

I quite like it. I think lyrically it so perfectly sums up his style. Depressing and dark, yes, in a way, but with a lot of humour and silliness in there, and contrasting with the more upbeat musical backing.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom