Morrissey A-Z: "Kit"

BookishBoy

Our penultimate K-song is this Morrissey/Boorer composition, from the Maladjusted sessions but never officially released.

What do we think?

Pretty amazing this wasn't developed into a finished song, as it's very encouraging even at this stage. It's also slightly odd this demo version never got an official release as an extra track somewhere along the line. Mind you, neither did 'Striptease with a Difference', so who knows how these things are decided?

an absolute favourite,the music in this is fantastic,wish i was KIT,gets his drinks bought all night,gets picked up and dropped back home,sounds like a perfect night.
10 kits/10kits. VIVAMOZZ.

Last edited:
It's a real shame that this song wasn't completed as it had the potential to be much better than several songs that made it onto the very patchy Maladjusted. I don't consider it a work of genius or anything, but it has a mature theme and is an interesting Boz tune.

Morrissey didn't nail the vocal though and some more work would have been required before it could have been released.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 207th from 264 solo songs.

A recovered treasure. I thought I remembered a version of this where it's Boz as a guest at an Alain Whyte appearance. You can find Boz singing it on youtube but this was a live show somewhere.
Here's Boz but a demo I guess?

This is from Maladjusted-era sessions? It reminds me of Sunny/Boxers-era. Anyway, I'm not knowledgeable about all of this. I just remember when it was one of those things you could find in the days of soulseek filesharing and that adds to the nostalgic value, too. I think it's probably the best of the unreleased songs or songs that used to take some effort to hear. This and "Honey, You Know Where To Find Me" are near the top of the list anyway,

A mystery!
I read somewhere, that they tried very hard to finish this song. This demo version doesn't yet have the punch (especially Morrissey's unsecure voice) that you might hope for, on this song. Still, it absolutely has the patina and grandezza that Maladjusted surrounds and is a late 90s classic in terms of potential. It's unclear whether this version is the final one, but in the end they weren't entirely satisfied with it.
Maybe (God willing) we'll find out the truth on the 40th anniversary remix boxset and I hope my hearing aid will be close by then.

Shows endless promise and definitely deserved to have been completed.

Would have made a great b-side. Wonder why Morrissey decided not to use it. Boz with his moody compositions, the verse the guitar picking and chorus effect sounds almost goth-Banshees and love the second part of the chorus. But, I don’t think the grandiose like parts and the driving march drumming really match well with the subject matter of the lyric. Love the part when Morrissey sings higher though. Could have been, should have been ... a good piece of kit. Poor Boz :(
Shows endless promise and definitely deserved to have been completed.

Would have made a great b-side. Wonder why Morrissey decided not to use it. Boz with his moody compositions, the verse the guitar picking and chorus effect sounds almost goth-Banshees and love the second part of the chorus. But, I don’t think the grandiose like parts and the driving march drumming really match well with the subject matter of the lyric. Love the part when Morrissey sings higher though. Could have been, should have been ... a good piece of kit. Poor Boz :(

"Poor Boz" is synonymous with the entire Maladjusted period. After managing a mere two co-writes in the Southpaw Grammar era after his impressive contributions to Vauxhall, he was now forced to complete with Spencer (as well as Alain) for co-writing credits and witnessed "Kit" go unfinished and the glorious "I Know Who I Love" scrapped altogether. Not to mention his only single co-write, "Satan Rejected My Soul," was a massive dud in the 1997 charts. Poor Boz (and Moz) indeed.

"Poor Boz" is synonymous with the entire Maladjusted period. After managing a mere two co-writes in the Southpaw Grammar era after his impressive contributions to Vauxhall, he was now forced to complete with Spencer (as well as Alain) for co-writing credits and witnessed "Kit" go unfinished

and the glorious "I Know Who I Love" scrapped altogether.

How do you know it was ‘glorious’ ?

Is this you Boz? ;)
Not to mention his only single co-write, "Satan Rejected My Soul," was a massive dud in the 1997 charts. Poor Boz (and Moz) indeed.

"Poor Boz" is synonymous with the entire Maladjusted period. After managing a mere two co-writes in the Southpaw Grammar era after his impressive contributions to Vauxhall, he was now forced to complete with Spencer (as well as Alain) for co-writing credits and witnessed "Kit" go unfinished and the glorious "I Know Who I Love" scrapped altogether. Not to mention his only single co-write, "Satan Rejected My Soul," was a massive dud in the 1997 charts. Poor Boz (and Moz) indeed.
A massive dud? Well, not a huge success but it made the top 40 at least unlike the previous single (Roy's Keen).

A recovered treasure. I thought I remembered a version of this where it's Boz as a guest at an Alain Whyte appearance. You can find Boz singing it on youtube but this was a live show somewhere.
Here's Boz but a demo I guess?

This is from Maladjusted-era sessions? It reminds me of Sunny/Boxers-era. Anyway, I'm not knowledgeable about all of this. I just remember when it was one of those things you could find in the days of soulseek filesharing and that adds to the nostalgic value, too. I think it's probably the best of the unreleased songs or songs that used to take some effort to hear. This and "Honey, You Know Where To Find Me" are near the top of the list anyway,

This recording is from a solo acoustic set that Boz played while opening up for Jimmy Gnecco of the band Ours. I believe the show happened in New York sometime in 2002 before the wheels of Morrissey's comeback really started turning. As usual, @Famous when dead probably remembers better.

It's an interesting song and, like @The.Truth., holds some mystique and nostalgic value for me in the way that it brings to mind some early memories of file sharing. It's kind of a distant musical cousin to "Wonderful Woman," with that evocative, gothic riff. I always wanted Morrissey to explore that sound a little bit more.

This recording is from a solo acoustic set that Boz played while opening up for Jimmy Gnecco of the band Ours. I believe the show happened in New York sometime in 2002 before the wheels of Morrissey's comeback really started turning. As usual, @Famous when dead probably remembers better.

It's an interesting song and, like @The.Truth., holds some mystique and nostalgic value for me in the way that it brings to mind some early memories of file sharing. It's kind of a distant musical cousin to "Wonderful Woman," with that evocative, gothic riff. I always wanted Morrissey to explore that sound a little bit more.
I imagine @Famous when dead might have the live version done at Alain's show unless I'm misremembering. I used to have it myself but just an mp3 on a hard drive and I don't think I could find it again. The way I remember they're both playing guitar and the crowd is really into it.
It is a nice riff and definitely would lend itself to that sort of gothic treatment.

Morrissey has released demos (and even finalized songs) where the instrumentation was more embryonic and the tune much less carved out than here, so I suppose Morrissey being unhappy with his own vocal performance was the main reason for keeping it on the shelves. Such a shame.

Morrissey has released demos (and even finalized songs) where the instrumentation was more embryonic and the tune much less carved out than here, so I suppose Morrissey being unhappy with his own vocal performance was the main reason for keeping it on the shelves. Such a shame.

To me the music is too driving and grandiose for the lyrics subject, doesn’t really fit. Maybe he felt the same way too?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom