Morrissey A-Z: "Israel"

As others have noted, there's something very pretentious about this one. The music is meh, the lyrics are low-effort, and his vocals sound forced. I am, however, of the opinion of Armond White that "Israel" isn't a geographical place at all, but rather a personification of sexual liberation. Ultimately, the song is too sermonizing (and clumsy at that) that it fails to pack any emotional punch, and that almost spoken-word style just doesn't work for Morrissey.

Great song in a show tune/ballad style,it seems to me that the music doesn't match the lyrics but I still enjoy this song 8/10.

It's my first listen. ☺️ I like the expressiveness of his voice, and the way he uses it in the song with the music being ideal for emphasizing it. It reminds me of his early solo work. Theatrical, dramatic, yes and similar in that way to songs on Bona Drag. He does it well.

I won't attempt to say what the lyrics may mean although it seems like a gay themed song yet it could be about Israel itself or why not both of those. It's Israel that lends the forboding atmosphere so the song would be nothing without it. It feels especially dark today with the repression that's happening to Israel's people.
Yes; the extraordinary thing about this song is that Morrissey relates his sexuality to a state. It’s quite a proclamation. And like Dear God (a similar torch song, which is ultimately reaching out to one’s own dismissed/challenged identity) it seems to lend itself to the live context—but has rarely been performed for a crowd.

Given it’s one of the most lyrically startling songs in Morrissey’s entire repertoire, it easily gets in my all time top ten: It’s perhaps as bold and musically accomplished as anything he has ever said/done.

There’s a rumour this song is polarising, but personally I can’t believe that.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of his few truly unlistenable tracks.

Heavy handed, tuneless, overbearing. Over the top pretentious and dull.

I absolutely despise this "song."

One of his few truly unlistenable tracks.

Heavy handed, tuneless, overbearing. Over the top pretentious and dull.

I absolutely despise this "song."
I'm with you on this one. I had tears in my eyes when I first listened/subjected myself to this turgid mess. It's a relief that he has reclaimed his mojo. A bit 🤗

Yes; the extraordinary thing about this song is that Morrissey relates his sexuality to a state. It’s quite a proclamation. And like Dear God (a similar torch song, which is ultimately reaching out to one’s own dismissed/challenged identity) it seems to lend itself to the live context—but has rarely been performed for a crowd.

Given it’s one of the most lyrically startling songs in Morrissey’s entire repertoire, it easily gets in my all time top ten: It’s perhaps as bold and musically accomplished as anything he has ever said/done.

There’s a rumour this song is polarising, but personally I can’t believe that.
has Dear God been done live much?

Seen this at kings hall Blackburn
If I remember correctly he got heckled and then had a bit of a pet lip for the duration...
I’ve just seen that he played it at the GMex, December 2006, which I attended. That was a long day Caz Baz.

I’ve just seen that he played it at the GMex, December 2006, which I attended. That was a long day Caz Baz.
I demand the gory details 😂
Morrissey concert days do tend to go on for ages, all the travelling, and the standing ( I’m always seated nowadays) for about 4 hours....
And then after the concert the mad clambering to get out the Venue to the nearest bar... and hopefully a seat

I demand the gory details 😂
Morrissey concert days do tend to go on for ages, all the travelling, and the standing ( I’m always seated nowadays) for about 4 hours....
And then after the concert the mad clambering to get out the Venue to the nearest bar... and hopefully a seat
I was in the Perveril of the Peak all day I think; got to the GMex about 30mins before Morrissey came on and (naturally) managed a further couple of pints. I almost certainly dashed to the bar once more when Anybody’s Hero Now began. And can anyone listen to See the Boy Happy without being driven to drink?

Oh, and it was Christmas. 🍻

It was touch and go for a while Hovis ..
But at them prices, I didn’t carry myself on
Friday was the better of the two Barry
Our boy had run out of steam by the Saturday. I caught him in Mexico the month previous and a few European and British dates. The last week or two was going through the motions for many. Some great nights bad though Barry/

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom