Morrissey A-Z: "I Will See You in Far-Off Places"

In which case I doff my cap to the all-knowing genius of Bill Gates and his team. (But it might still be wrong.)
From my own perspective and not that of a book index, full titles in alphabetical order suits best.
Yes, that leads to lots of things called 'The...', but for visitors searching, wiki and general housekeeping - unaltered, full titles would have suited.
Possibly as I don't deal with things like: 'Edges Are No Longer Parallel, The' :)
It is what it is however - so not to worry.
Regards,
FWD.

A strong opener. I like the Middle-Eastern-vibe and the strong anti-Bush and Blair political vibe. He doesn't get enough credit for that.
And still - at its heart - a very spiritual song as well. His own We'll Meet Again, as het called it himself in those days.
Great song, though not one to play too often. A live-fave at the time definitely.

I'm not saying this is a fantastic song, though I like it a lot, just as much of "Ringleader". But I find it funny some complaining this as a bad album opener, considering it came straight after "America is not the world", to which this song is a piece of Mozart.

I, was taken aback when I Will See You In Far-Off Places washed ashore in early 2006. Just two years prior You Are The Quarry dragged Morrissey into the 21st century, the slightly less bequiffed Mozfather riding a new wave of popularity which one hoped would gain momentum. And then…

Ringleader of The Tormentors must be the Morrissey album which I hold the least affection for, and I feel this opening track is trying to do something special, but whatever that something is, not quite managing it. This is a 21st century middle Of the road Morrissey track for me: it is listenable, it is fine. Now now that I have mentioned Middle Of The Road, I truly would prefer to listen to Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.

I love this song and recall hundreds and hundreds of of people chanting along with the “If the USA doesn’t bomb you” line at a show. Not many artists generate such passion in this sanitised world. Is there one Johnny Marr song that is as potent, as musically interesting or as playful as this?

A pretty strong opener, but I can understand the comments that the sound of the track isn't the best.

It was nice to hear Morrissey starting an album fairly ambitiously and it was indeed very popular in concert that year.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 104th from 264 solo songs.

I love this one. If the USA doesn't bomb you is a great bit of shade.

I really like this song. The riff makes me think of stacking horizon lines and doesn’t sound anything like numetal. I loved the bigness of this when I first heard it and contrary to most here it made me excited to hear the album. It’s a great first track and then dear god comes on and I was impressed then the single and I said enjoyable but of course for me it went straight down from there album wise

I, was taken aback when I Will See You In Far-Off Places washed ashore in early 2006. Just two years prior You Are The Quarry dragged Morrissey into the 21st century, the slightly less bequiffed Mozfather riding a new wave of popularity which one hoped would gain momentum. And then…

Ringleader of The Tormentors must be the Morrissey album which I hold the least affection for, and I feel this opening track is trying to do something special, but whatever that something is, not quite managing it. This is a 21st century middle Of the road Morrissey track for me: it is listenable, it is fine. Now now that I have mentioned Middle Of The Road, I truly would prefer to listen to Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.
imagine driving chitty chitty bang bang whilst listening to chirpy chirpy cheep cheep.

After enjoying YATQ, that's pretty much how I felt about ROTT. It left me feeling so empty about his direction that I had no enthusiasm for YOR. I don't know what it is but it's almost like he tries so hard not to repeat himself - which is admirable - but then he (sometimes) gets into strange and muddled territory like this one.

Last edited:
I feel compelled to compare it to "What Kind Of People Live In These Houses?"
IWSYIFOP works, but is like a visit to a worthy but dull museum.
WKOPLITH is like one of those unplanned carefree teenage summer days with a new girlfriend.

imagine driving chitty chitty bang bang whilst listening to chirpy chirpy cheep cheep.
This is one of the greatest internet forum posts of all time. Log in to the main internet website now to claim your prize.

A breath of fresh air after Quarry and Refusal. This song and album
ROTT in spite of its faults.. still rises to the top, one of his best.

Viva Moz !!!

:cool:

ringleader had very good reviews,think it was the observer that called it the morrissey masterpiece,i think its a very good album.
pigsty,killed me.dear god,hero now,work of art,theres a few crackers right away.

This song (like much of ROTT) is hard work to listen to, and not in a good way!
The vibe is a bit like Istanbul but the latter is built on a cracking piece of music and has some really affecting lyrics - this isn't/hasn't.
Even the title of the song is duff - just an empty cliché.
Ringleader did have a few good songs on it but this isn't one of them.
Please can we have a better song to review tomorrow?!

This song (like much of ROTT) is hard work to listen to, and not in a good way!
The vibe is a bit like Istanbul but the latter is built on a cracking piece of music and has some really affecting lyrics - this isn't/hasn't.
Even the title of the song is duff - just an empty cliché.
Ringleader did have a few good songs on it but this isn't one of them.
Please can we have a better song to review tomorrow?!
(I fear tomorrow's song may be another one of these love/hate ones? But who knows...?)

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom