Morrissey A-Z: "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday"

On the one hand, I agree, because imagine the transition when you hear this song and then you turn on Vauxhall and the next song you hear is Now My Heart Is Full. That would be just perfect. It would come full circle.

But on the other hand, I always liked Tomorrow as an album closer and of course he couldn't have known at the time that "it" was going to happen soon and his next album would be inspired by love fulfilled.
I just think that it has that Album Closer feel to it. Both in sound and in sentiment.

An explosion of desire, brilliantly delivered with a strong sensé of urgency.
it is wonderful to hear how much emotion his voice could express at this point.
And the Gods were listening too :) :)

The briefest of lyrics yet they seem to convey so much. What is the "it" that's gonna happen someday? While love seems like an obvious answer, it could be any number of things. You as the listener are left to fill that in - so well done. 10/10.
It’s the same with “ Pleas, please, please,let me get.what I want this time”

I agree. Tomorrow always felt like a bonus track to me.
Yeah. It sticks out and placing it at the end always felt off to me.

Yeah. It sticks out and placing it at the end always felt off to me.

Oh I disagree. Tomorrow is a fantastic ending. I Know is the end of the movie, Tomorrow is the rock song over the end credits as you're getting up to leave (I LOVE when albums do this.) It works perfectly for me and it fits the feel of the rest of the album really well. After all these up tempo rock songs with a lot of wit and character studies and distractions, we end on one about just how damn miserable he is with no bones about it, really. Also it's just an awesome song.

Hearing this and ‘You’re gonna need’ on a two song promo cassette before Arsenal came out, sealed the deal for me, chained and bound, I then knew I was in it for the long haul.

Beautiful would be an understatement. And the richness and the ambience of mood that Ronson’s production adds to it, perfection.

MOZ CLASSIC !!!

:thumb:

A great song and I think the truth has it right about the parring with tomorrow. This song always makes me think of large waves at night crashing against large rocks. When I think of this album I think of how morrissey must have felt with kill uncles reception after bona drag not working out and I often think of it as him making a stand (against fame and expectations and people laughing at your failures and profiting off your successes etc). The last three songs of Arsenal with someday as the crest give me this feeling when listened to in sequence

Shimmering & lush. Makes me feel 'it' must be love.

One can hope Nerak. As someone mentioned earlier - encouraging!

This song? Its my jam. My pajama-jammy-jam.

How can any self-respecting Moz-fan feel otherwise?

I’m sure I spotted a number of tears rolling down your face at one of the Quarry gigs - Brid, or even the MEN. :blushing:
M.E.N.! My first Morrissey gig.

And it's terrifying me that an anon account remembers my histrionics from a Morrissey gig seventeen years ago.

This is it - my #1 favourite Morrissey song. Sublime in every way.

Never really liked this song much, even when Your Arsenal first came out. It's okay, but nothing special. Lyrically, he seems to have come up with a title and that's about it. Musically, it's pretty boring. I never really listen to it.

What can one say, it's an absolute beauty and Mark E Nevin's finest compositional achievement to date.
Yes, even more perfect than 'Perfect'!

Last edited:
As much a fan as I am of Alain and Boz, the fact that Nevin wrote both this and 'You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side' definitely gives me the feeling that Morrissey dumped him as a co-songwriter far too quickly. Even if he only ended up contributing a couple of songs per album, we might still have got a few classics along the way.

This song is one of his absolute best. Seasick, This and Tomorrow, in this sequence, they are one of the iconic moments of his career.

Last edited:
As much a fan as I am of Alain and Boz, the fact that Nevin wrote both this and 'You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side' definitely gives me the feeling that Morrissey dumped him as a co-songwriter far too quickly. Even if he only ended up contributing a couple of songs per album, we might still have got a few classics along the way.
Yep, the term 'underrated' is overused, but I think Mr Nevin is pretty much Morrissey's most underrated songwriter. Trouble is, people mainly associate him with Kill Uncle which (let's face it) was a patchy affair. Although he didn't write all the songs on it, he wrote its standouts (Sing your life and Driving your g/f) but most of his best work wasn't even on the album e.g. Changed my plea, The loop, My lovelife, Tony TP, and his two brilliant contributions to Your Arsenal. Had he stayed in the song-writing team, we'd surely have got many more twinkling gems over the years.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom