Morrissey A-Z: "I Knew I Was Next"

This is my definition of a great Morrissey 'deep cut'. OK, it's not a radio friendly track for casual fans, but give it time and enough spins and it worms it's way into your very soul. In my Top 10 of Moz songs.

Rhianna singing 'I Knew I Was Next...and I didn't mind' ? Now that's bullshit.

Wake up? Why? Because my opinion differs from yours or that you can't handle an opinion different to yours?

The song is insipid crap, musically barren and melodically mediocre.

The Truth About Ruth is also crap. He's produced a large volume of it in recent years.
I agree there was a sort of period of adjustment as the current band configuration came to be but this song and "The Truth About Ruth" are both very good in my opinion. Which ones do you like from the past few years?

Just for the way he sings "I didn't miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind" this is a classic.

And that little crack in "... any debts you're duuuuuuee"

I agree there was a sort of period of adjustment as the current band configuration came to be but this song and "The Truth About Ruth" are both very good in my opinion. Which ones do you like from the past few years?
If I had to pick a top 3 since World Peace it would be:

1. I'm Not A Man
2. My Hurling Days Are Done
3. Once I Saw The River Clean

For me these three are up there with the very best of his work.

If I had to pick a top 3 since World Peace it would be:

1. I'm Not A Man
2. My Hurling Days Are Done
3. Once I Saw The River Clean

For me these three are up there with the very best of his work.
I love Once I Saw the River Clean, my favorite on the last album. I find myself listening to Home is a Question Mark, I Wish You Lonely, and Never Again Will I be a Twin from Low in High School a lot as well.

This one has even less of a tune than that other one, and it's about nothing.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom