Morrissey A-Z: "Hairdresser on Fire"

I don't think I disliked DOYS. I just haven't listened to it in ages. I might actually do that later though.
I mostly associate it with the split, which is probably unfair.

Fair enough. I'd say I agree. Most people would probably say Heathen Chemistry, which I profoundly disagree with.
Would love to hear what you think about it now!

Bless you. That album has always been near and dear to my heart. I started to actively listen to Oasis back in 2001, when I was 15-16. Thusly, HC was the first new album they released. It was my soundtrack for a long while. And how can you not love an album that has songs like Songbird, Born on a Different Cloud, The Hindu Times and Stop Crying Your Heart Out?

What songs sing your life from the last couple of albums, KS?

I’m not gonna go through each song,lol. Even if I can’t directly relate, it doesn’t mean that I can’t connect. With a little imagination and empathy I can be moved by the situation of the character or place, fictional or not, just being human is enough to connect, if one allows oneself to be open.

There’s nothing wrong if you express that you don’t relate or enjoy Morrissey’s present day work.
I just took umbrage to you using ‘our’ and ‘we’ instead of I, in your post #25. Because surely not everyone feels the same way you do.

I’m not gonna go through each song,lol. Even if I can’t directly relate, it doesn’t mean that I can’t connect. With a little imagination and empathy I can be moved by the situation of the character or place, fictional or not, just being human is enough to connect, if one allows oneself to be open.

There’s nothing wrong if you express that you don’t relate or enjoy Morrissey’s present day work.
I just took umbrage to you using ‘our’ and ‘we’ instead of I, in your post #25. Because surely not everyone feels the same way you do.
That's fair enough but curiosity leads me to ask if you take similar umbrage at our subject matter when he makes assumptive sweeping statements on behalf of all humankind?

That's fair enough but curiosity leads me to ask if you take similar umbrage at our subject matter when he makes assumptive sweeping statements on behalf of all humankind?

To better understand your question, I would need an example from you.

And if it’s an answer he is giving to a question in an interview, I would like to see in what context he is giving that answer. So a link to that interview would be appreciated.

To better understand your question, I would need an example from you.

And if it’s an answer he is giving to a question in an interview, I would like to see in what context he is giving that answer. So a link to that interview would be appreciated.
Just as you weren't feeling the need to outline the songs you had connected with in recent times, I will simply signpost you to autobiography for the numerous examples of 'no-one' and 'anyone' being used as vehicles for his opinion alone.

Just as you weren't feeling the need to outline the songs you had connected with in recent times,

But there’s A LOT of songs! Lol and I’m lazy. :oops:
I will simply signpost you to autobiography for the numerous examples of 'no-one' and 'anyone' being used as vehicles for his opinion alone.

I just asked you for a single quote or line so as to better understand what you’re asking me. And a link would help to better understand how he’s saying something, I mean, I don’t think it’s fair to judge or form an opinion on something like this that’s been pulled out of context.

But there’s A LOT of songs! Lol and I’m lazy. :oops:

I just asked you for a single quote or line so as to better understand what you’re asking me. And a link would help to better understand how he’s saying something, I mean, I don’t think it’s fair to judge or form an opinion on something like this that’s been pulled out of context.
But that's a lot of potential quotes and I'm lazy too.

But that's a lot of potential quotes and I'm lazy too.

Ok fair enough.

I will simply signpost you to autobiography for the numerous examples of 'no-one' and 'anyone' being used as vehicles for his opinion alone.

Yeah, he should really say ‘I’ unfortunately he doesn’t post on here so to criticize him would be of little worth, actually none.

Would love to hear what you think about it now!

So, I listened to Dig Out Your Soul a couple of times over the last few days, including the bonus tracks and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I have to admit that it has also become very obvious to me now why didn't remember the album. There are no standout or signature songs on there. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, it has a very consistent album-feel to it.

I also repeatedly listened to all their post-Masterplan b-sides and you could easily make an excellent album out of those as well. Some are a bit lazy (like, Full On honestly just feels like a rehash on My Big Mouth. It's still interesting though because Noel sounds so different on it) and the covers are all crap, but especially those Noel acoustic-y ballads like Getting Older or Carry Us All never get old (... no pun intended).

Bless you. That album has always been near and dear to my heart. I started to actively listen to Oasis back in 2001, when I was 15-16. Thusly, HC was the first new album they released. It was my soundtrack for a long while. And how can you not love an album that has songs like Songbird, Born on a Different Cloud, The Hindu Times and Stop Crying Your Heart Out?

It was the first new release for me as well and I loved especially Little By Little at the time!

It was nice to revisit some of their stuff that I usually don't listen to. I'm a bit strange when it comes to bands that I love because I usually have about 2-3 records that I will listen to over and over again and neglect the rest. (Moz is an exception). With Oasis it's always been (WTS)MG and The Masterplan with the occasional SOTSOG and HC sprinkled in for good measure.

Last edited:
So, I listened to Dig Out Your Soul a couple of times over the last few days, including the bonus tracks and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I have to admit that it has also become very obvious to me now why didn't remember the album. There are no standout or signature songs on there. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, it has a very consistent album-feel to it.

I also repeatedly listened to all their post-Masterplan b-sides and you could easily make an excellent album out of those as well. Some are a bit lazy (like, Full On honestly just feels like a rehash on My Big Mouth. It's still interesting though because Noel sounds so different on it) and the covers are all crap, but especially those Noel acoustic-y ballads like Getting Older or Carry Us All never get old (... no pun intended).

It was the first new release for me as well and I loved especially Little By Little at the time!

It was nice to revisit some of their stuff that I usually don't listen to. I'm a bit strange when it comes to bands that I love because I usually have about 2-3 records that I will listen to over and over again and neglect the rest. (Moz is an exception). With Oasis it's always been (WTS)MG and The Masterplan with the occasional SOTSOG and HC sprinkled in for good measure.
Not even the gorgeous I’m Outta Time? I agree that it really is an album, though!

Agree on the b-sides. My favorites of that era: Let’s All Make Believe (f*** me if that isn’t one of their five greatest ever songs), You’ve Got the Heart of a Star and probably Carry Us All. Noel wrote some of his best lyrics ever during 1999/2000-2002. I really appreciate him delving deeper into the human psyche.

Nice! Maybe we’re kind of the same age, then?
SOTSOG is perhaps one of the most underrated albums of the last 25 years. It’s far from perfect, but it’s brave and very very interesting. Had stuff like Carry Us All and Let’s All...been included and some of the throwaway rock songs been relegated to b-sides, it would be even stronger.
I’m basically the opposite when it comes to bands/artists I really love. I obsess over them and go out of my way to listen to everything they’ve done.

Not even the gorgeous I’m Outta Time? I agree that it really is an album, though!

I'm Outta Time is indeed the only song I added to one or two different playlists 😅

Agree on the b-sides. My favorites of that era: Let’s All Make Believe (f*** me if that isn’t one of their five greatest ever songs), You’ve Got the Heart of a Star and probably Carry Us All. Noel wrote some of his best lyrics ever during 1999/2000-2002. I really appreciate him delving deeper into the human psyche.

Interesting choices. You've Got The Heart Of A Star has some very interesting instrumentation, but like so many of those 'grand' Oasis songs it becomes a bit repetitive towards the end.
I always like quirky little songs like Sitting Here In Silence (On My Own), (As Long As They've Got) Cigarettes In Hell, Pass Me Down The Wine etc...

Nice! Maybe we’re kind of the same age, then?
SOTSOG is perhaps one of the most underrated albums of the last 25 years. It’s far from perfect, but it’s brave and very very interesting. Had stuff like Carry Us All and Let’s All...been included and some of the throwaway rock songs been relegated to b-sides, it would be even stronger.
I’m basically the opposite when it comes to bands/artists I really love. I obsess over them and go out of my way to listen to everything they’ve done.

Yeah, I mean I did listen to all of their stuff at some point but those are the albums that I'll always play, at least on a weekly basis.
I always listen to a very strange mix of different types of music but Oasis has remained one of the constants over the years.

What do you think of their respective post-Oasis efforts?

I'm Outta Time is indeed the only song I added to one or two different playlists 😅

Interesting choices. You've Got The Heart Of A Star has some very interesting instrumentation, but like so many of those 'grand' Oasis songs it becomes a bit repetitive towards the end.
I always like quirky little songs like Sitting Here In Silence (On My Own), (As Long As They've Got) Cigarettes In Hell, Pass Me Down The Wine etc...

Yeah, I mean I did listen to all of their stuff at some point but those are the albums that I'll always play, at least on a weekly basis.
I always listen to a very strange mix of different types of music but Oasis has remained one of the constants over the years.

What do you think of their respective post-Oasis efforts?
Knew it!! :)

There’s some truth to that, no doubt. And Pass Me Down the Wine is f***ing great. It’s become somewhat of a cliche now, but my God - the swagger!

I adore Liam. Always have, always will. His comeback is the most impressive one I’ve witnessed since Moz 2004. AYW had some great singles, but it didn’t really work as an album. WMWN, however. Best post-Oasis Gallagher album, in my opinion. For its genre, it’s fantastic. Noel is a bit more hit and miss. Chasing Yesterday could very well be his best HFB album. That or WBTM. All of his albums have been quite uneven, though. And the EPs were all lackluster and dull. He lacks the fire that Liam seems to have in abundance - and it shows. What do you think?

Edit: forgot about Beady Eye. Underrated band! Loved DGSS when it came out. But as an album, I think BE is stronger. More daring and stronger songwriting.

Knew it!! :)

There’s some truth to that, no doubt. And Pass Me Down the Wine is f***ing great. It’s become somewhat of a cliche now, but my God - the swagger!

I adore Liam. Always have, always will. His comeback is the most impressive one I’ve witnessed since Moz 2004. AYW had some great singles, but it didn’t really work as an album. WMWN, however. Best post-Oasis Gallagher album, in my opinion. For its genre, it’s fantastic. Noel is a bit more hit and miss. Chasing Yesterday could very well be his best HFB album. That or WBTM. All of his albums have been quite uneven, though. And the EPs were all lackluster and dull. He lacks the fire that Liam seems to have in abundance - and it shows. What do you think?

I almost completely agree, actually. 🙂 I always say that I have no favourite but if I had to choose it would have to be Liam.

AYW had the better singles, Wall Of Glass was an incredible lead single, still the strongest song he's released up to this point. Agree about WMWN being the better album though.
Chasing Yesterday is the only HFB album I listen to semi-regularly but there are a couple of other songs I really, really liked. The last one was A Dream Is All I Need To Get By. That was a pleasant surprise.

It always seems like Noel doesn't really know what he wants, so he's trying to do a bit of everything, while Liam always just wanted to be a rock('n'roll) star.

I almost completely agree, actually. 🙂 I always say that I have no favourite but if I had to choose it would have to be Liam.

AYW had the better singles, Wall Of Glass was an incredible lead single, still the strongest song he's released up to this point. Agree about WMWN being the better album though.
Chasing Yesterday is the only HFB album I listen to semi-regularly but there are a couple of other songs I really, really liked. The last one was A Dream Is All I Need To Get By. That was a pleasant surprise.

It always seems like Noel doesn't really know what he wants, so he's trying to do a bit of everything, while Liam always just wanted to be a rock('n'roll) star.
😍

I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite song of his, but there is no denying its greatness nor its impact. Unbelievable. Blew us all away when it came out. I think Shockwave was almost as impressive as a lead single. It showed that the first time around was no fluke.

Totally agree about Noel. He seems almost directionless and with no real passion or fuel. But sure, he’s written some great songs since going solo. Each album has a few killers.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom