Morrissey A-Z: "Hairdresser on Fire"

BookishBoy

We start off the H's (of which there are 12) with this song, a B-side from the "Suedehead" single.

What do we think?

This one always used to go down well at "Moz nights" in LA.

I love the "Oye Esteban" tour version.

"Where is London? So much for London!"

Everything in the right place. Love the string section and the strong melody. Moz had no problems (then not now) delivering b-sides that should have been a-sides. Still sounds totally (british) late 80s to me. Stephen, please come back. Pure kitchen sink drama!

Last edited:
(I have to confess that when I first heard this song on the 12-inch of "Suedehead" I thought it was stupid, and beneath Morrissey to write and sing about such trivial matters. Now, of course, I think it's one of the most Morrissey songs of all...)

I love this one. A classic. Full of great lines and the music never gets old. I just noticed the part where it sounds like bells when he sings "hairdresser on fire," and it sounds familiar. I think I should know what it is.

Simply perfection... music spot on and lyrics that are brilliant and a bit absurd at the same time.

I sense the power
In the fingers
Within an hour the power
Could totally destroy me
Or, it could save my life

What can anyone say about this song - its the best! No doubt one of his tops.

Last edited:
Only Morrissey can write such eloquent lyrics about the troubles of getting a hair appointment. Brilliant lyrics. And the music, bombastically 80's yet completely indie, is gorgeous. And the vocal melody...just listen to what magic he can create in that department when given a strong composition to work with.
However, I think my favorite version of this song is the live version from 2004. Then it really came alive. If I have any qualms about the studio version from 1988, it's that it sounds a bit restrained.

Out of all of Morrissey's frivolous, silly pop songs, this one might be number 1.

An absolute classic: great instrumentation, frivolous lyrics that contrast (and somewhat aid) the drama unfolding in the music. Oh, and Vini’s guitar solo: the cherry on the already delicious cake. Still great even after countless plays: newer live versions are good too, with some different, more comedic (and therefore less ambiguous) lines (“psychologically shave me”).
10/10

B-side perfection. In the top-5 best songs on Bona Drag, which means that it’s better than some A-sides of its age. Never will I tire of this song.

Superb

great song,never get bored listening to it over the decades,so many great lines in it.
theres actually a video game called busy scissors,wonder if they got the title from the song.

Any other connotation to ‘on fire’ other than busy/frantic?

Love this very much, why Morrissey decided not to include this when tampering with Viva Hate baffles me

Simply, truly – beautiful; Hairdresser On Fire is up there with the very best of Morrissey’s work. Tucking this song away as a B-side was a simultaneous act of pure madness & pure Morrissey. In the words of André Gide, “Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again.”

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom