Morrissey A-Z: "Glamorous Glue"

its about glue sniffing,long time ago if you couldnt afford or get drugs you would sniff glue to get a buzz,its about paranoia as in everyone lies.i thought it was really obvious.

its about glue sniffing,long time ago if you couldnt afford or get drugs you would sniff glue to get a buzz,its about paranoia as in everyone lies.i thought it was really obvious.

but, how is it glamorous?

I had my mind set on thinking that 'glamorous glue' was a reference to cum, but now I feel I may have overlooked the very very very obvious inference that it is simply glue.
Sniffing a jar full of cum? Do people do this? :sick:

but, how is it glamorous?
its always been seen as glamorous especially where money flows,in fact police dont check banknotes in the uk for illicit drugs anymore because just about every banknote is contaminated within weeks of entering circulation.

its always been seen as glamorous especially where money flows,in fact police dont check banknotes in the uk for illicit drugs anymore because just about every banknote is contaminated within weeks of entering circulation.

Sniffing glue is seen as glamorous where money flows?

Put down that jar, my son.

Sniffing glue is seen as glamorous where money flows?

Put down that jar, my son.
no dont talk mince, sniffing glue was an 80s thing where hard drugs were hard to get unless you went to the big cities so glue was a substitute where you would take what you could get.

no dont talk mince, sniffing glue was an 80s thing where hard drugs were hard to get unless you went to the big cities so glue was a substitute where you would take what you could get.
If you’re comparing coke to sniffing glue. Glue really isn’t that glamorous.

If you’re comparing coke to sniffing glue. Glue really isn’t that glamorous.
its not, but you would need the answer from M himself,remember he said years ago he likes his titles to roll off the tongue so the two gs help with that.

its not, but you would need the answer from M himself,remember he said years ago he likes his titles to roll off the tongue so the two gs help with that.

Yeah, I think he just liked the title, but I don’t think it has much to do with the songs lyrics.

Unless of course you believe that the jar in the song is a jar, and a jar of glue, I’m not entirely sold on that idea, yet.

Last edited:
Yeah, good song. I’m sure Sweet was influenced by Bowie too, at least with the Jean Genie riff there.
Bowie's was written after but recorded first. He's a slippery one.

Bowie's was written after but recorded first. He's a slippery one.

Now that’s in depth! thanks. :thumb:

So I guess we can safely say there was something in the air courtesy of Bo Diddly.

Never heard that Stooges jam.

“Interestingly, Iggy Pop and The Stooges also recorded a version of ‘I’m A Man’ during the sessions for the Raw Power album in early 1972. Bowie was involved in remixing this album and although ‘I’m A Man’ doesn’t appear on the album, he would certainly have been familiar with the Stooges cover version. Could this have had an influence on Bowie’s ‘The Jean Genie’ later that year?”

that really sounds the closest.

For what it's worth... I always thought the lyrics were about someone on a heavy drinking spree. It's one of those stream of consciousness lyrics and the whole song reflects the idea of Arsenal being a more physical record perfectly and I agree that it should have been the lead single.
So the title would be more or less unrelated to the content, except that it sets the scene in a way - we're in a working class setting and sniffing glue is about as glamorous as it gets.
It's a fantastic title nonetheless, very Morrissey-esk of course, as 'glamorous' is one of his signature words and can have a variety of nuanced meanings in his personal vocabulary.

Regarding the lines 'We look to Los Angeles/For the language we use/London is dead', he gave a very detailed explanation.

GG1.jpg

GG2.jpg

(Taken from Rogan's The Albums, original interview was published in Alternative Press, February 1993. Please note, the last quote attributed by Rogan to 1992 is actually from NME, February 1989 (so not related to Glam Glue), but I left it in because it shows that this particular issue had been on his mind for a while. I also think it explains why for him it wasn't necessarily a contradiction to move to LA in the late 90s. He doesn't dislike the culture, he's just afraid of it killing other cultures elsewhere etc. It's always been the same kind of thinking, really.

And I love you / I just wish you'd stay where
you is)

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom