Morrissey A-Z: "Get off the Stage"

There was a time when a lampshade on one's head meant a party was in effect.
there was a time when a lampshade on your head meant their was a straight jacket with your name on it.

there was a time when a lampshade on your head meant their was a straight jacket with your name on it.
We may be of different generations I'm afraid, for you may be confusing a tinfoil hat for that jacket!

1615495706914.png

Yeah, heard this one a few times. Not my favorite rendition, a little too understated.
I like it better than the original version actually. Though ‘First of the gang’ is a good pop song, it’s not one of my favorites.

I listened to it about five times in a row this morning for the first time in a long time and it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Probably the worst from that era, but that's not saying much. The bar was just extremely high at that time.

Cause I've given you enough of my time
And the money that wasn't even mine

... is a reasonably funny line.

The cajun influence doesn't really work. I'd love to know how that was communicated between Moz and Andy because it must have been M's idea.
Apparently, he originally wrote the lyric for a Street tune in 1988.

It's like the annoyingly camp little brother of Frankly, Mr. Shankly and Vicar In A Tutu.

It's pretty high on my list of songs I'd love for him to include on future setlists.
Above and beyond!

No, it's so bad that claiming something is "better" is the ultimate death by faint praise. Well done, sir!
I was simply comparing it with two other songs of the same kind. But hey, you keep being snide to strangers on the internet. Very charming.

I was simply comparing it with two other songs of the same kind. But hey, you keep being snide to strangers on the internet. Very charming.

I think "Kiss Me A Lot" is one of the worst songs Morrissey has done and I think it's funny to call another bad song "better." I was joking. When you read something online written by a stranger try to imagine that the tone you're reading may not be the way it was intended. That might also sound snide but I don't mean it that way. It's just that you've misread my meaning twice and I'd gladly take the blame if it didn't come with an admonishment.

I think "Kiss Me A Lot" is one of the worst songs Morrissey has done and I think it's funny to call another bad song "better." I was joking. When you read something online written by a stranger try to imagine that the tone you're reading may not be the way it was intended. That might also sound snide but I don't mean it that way. It's just that you've misread my meaning twice and I'd gladly take the blame if it didn't come with an admonishment.
Fair play!

I think that 'Get Off the Stage' is the perfect sort of track for a B-Side. It would be unconscionable to have this taking up time on an LP, but as a disposable flipside it's great fun. This is exactly what B-Sides are for.

Most of you are idiots. If you don't like this song then I don't think you actually like music. You probably listen to Radiohead and jackoff while thinking it's the shit. Journalists Who Lie and Girl From Tel-Aviv are 'bad' songs?

Try listening to Frank Zappa and you'll realize that anything on a Pitchfork list was paid to be there.

Morrissey's my No. 1, but in all reality a song like Everyday is Like Sunday is only baaaaarely better than Get Off the Stage, which is great.

Ethel Merman Disco - now THAT's music.

Me loves this song. Always have always will. Call it sentimental or whatever. It’s along the same lines as Passionate Love - love that era so much.

I again agree with The Truth!

Our song for today is this one, originally a B-side on the "Piccadilly Palare" single, and co-written with Andy Rourk?

The fact that so many left this song alone and the general feeling from most of those that did was highly negative tells me that they became fans after songs became a dime for 3 dozen. I have not been an avid Morrissey follower for 2 decades now. I have no idea what his new songs sound like or what most of their titles are. However, there was a time when almost every song played in my presence when I had control of the music was a Morrissey or Smiths songs. I could tell you any song from even the most obscure random set of lyrics even ones that only made their way to bootlegs and if not for that would have remained unheard. You couldn't google lyrics back then and not every jacket included ALL the lyrics. It was a painstaking process to discover what was being said. By the time you knew all the words of it the song and it's lyrics were a part of you. You could identify with them because of the hours spent listening to the lyrics and having them trigger your own 'I can identify with that' memories.' How dare any of you write off any of his work off as not worth your time without putting in the time to truly listen to it? Perhaps he was describing Mick Jagger but I doubt it. He was probably thinking of his greatest fear if his career didn't have staying power. Being the 'has been' opening act that no one wants to listen to. God knows he saw plenty of the brush off treatment that his opening acts received (I know the entire crowd made the opening act inaudible with our chants of "Morrissey!!! Morrissey!!!" when I saw him for the first time in '92. I'd have to look at the ticket stub to tell you the band's name and there's not a single set of lyrics or melody that I remember of them. For that I am ashamed. They were musicians that deserved recognition for their work). The line "and the song that you just sang it songs exactly like the last one and the next one I bet you it will sound like this one." Can no one else see his fear that no one sees each of the songs he sings as unique? So many times I have been told that "all his songs" sounds the same. Yes there are those that truly stick out 'Speedway' 'Alsatian Cousin' 'Jack the Ripper' 'We'll Let You Know' 'That's Entertainment' 'Whatever Happens I Love You.' Each one of these songs has a stand out quality but to someone who just hears a song and know nothing of the efforts put into each recording they just hear the same voice singing the "same depressing lyrics." So I find it ironic that so many of his "fans" shove to the side a song in which he saying "please don't let this be who I might become."

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom