Morrissey A-Z: "Get off the Stage"

I can't believe that those songs are even more maligned than the worst stuff on WPINOYB and LIHS.
Kids a f***er and People are the Same between them downgraded the 2011 tour, which would have been even better without their inclusion. At least Kid hasn’t saw the light of day since. I think PATSE stayed for a couple of years, vanished in 2014 (thankfully) but returned the next year the odd time (unfortunately)

Do I smell the next titled single from Moz being called, "Misguided Trousers" ? He's done worse!
“MISGUIDED TROUSERS”

Indeed you do, perhaps a limited run 7” for the upcoming 2021 Record Store Day, with an alternative take of Get Off The Stage on the A side, and a Morrissey cover of Short Shorts by The Royal Teens on the reverse! ;)

“MISGUIDED TROUSERS”

Indeed you do, perhaps a limited run 7” for the upcoming 2021 Record Store Day, with an alternative take of Get Off The Stage on the A side, and a Morrissey cover of Short Shorts by The Royal Teens on the reverse! ;)

Ah CJM - a man after my own heart.

And with that song in particular, I also envision a promotional tie-in with Nair products. Anyone remember the commercials for "who wears short shorts?"

and yet.... NO ONE does it like Morrissey.

Thumbing his nose at the rest of the world is all I see when listening to the songs that make up the Palare single. And tucked away as a b-side it speaks volumes on the position Morrissey takes as outsider
to the musical tastes of the general public, and going that route even though you know it probably won’t go down well? maybe he thought Piccadilly could be a hit and it’s b-sides are what the world needs!? Gotta love him.

Guess it’s just me, but going to the record store back in the day and buying this when it was just released and hearing those b-sides for the first time, not much at that time sounded like that to my ear.
Those 3 songs that make up Piccadilly?
Strange and wonderful times!

Makes me wish Morrissey and company explored this sound more, and that Bona Drag was not the compilation it became, but rather this crazy ass Cajun camp epic hoedown!

And to think when it was released,
wasn’t the Madchester fad going strong at this time? just Morrissey being his natural (against the grain) self, and being a part of that as a fan at that time was like being in a secret club, that even most of your friends didn’t want to join!

Anyway, I love this song!

:cool:

and yet.... NO ONE does it like Morrissey.

Thumbing his nose at the rest of the world is all I see when listening to the songs that make up the Palare single. And tucked away as a b-side it speaks volumes on the position Morrissey takes as outsider
to the musical tastes of the general public, and going that route even though you know it probably won’t go down well? maybe he thought Piccadilly could be a hit and it’s b-sides are what the world needs!? Gotta love him.

Guess it’s just me, but going to the record store back in the day and buying this when it was just released and hearing those b-sides for the first time, not much at that time sounded like that to my ear.
Those 3 songs that make up Piccadilly?
Strange and wonderful times!

Makes me wish Morrissey and company explored this sound more, and that Bona Drag was not the compilation it became, but rather this crazy ass Cajun camp epic hoedown!

And to think when it was released,
wasn’t the Madchester fad going strong at this time? just Morrissey being his natural (against the grain) self, and being a part of that as a fan at that time was like being in a secret club, that even most of your friends didn’t want to join!

Anyway, I love this song!

Piccadilly Palare is one of my favourite Moz songs ever. I love it dearly.

Ah CJM - a man after my own heart.

And with that song in particular, I also envision a promotional tie-in with Nair products. Anyone remember the commercials for "who wears short shorts?"

I had never seen that particular advert but, now I have, will never forget it. It seems they don’t make adverts, or comely models for that matter, like they used to :hearteyes:. The waiter looked very happy with himself, as I would have been. The promotional tie-in is a stellar idea, but would Morrissey permit the overdubs required for “Nair-dresser on Fire” and Nair Apparent”?

I had never seen that particular advert but, now I have, will never forget it. It seems they don’t make adverts, or comely models for that matter, like they used to :hearteyes:. The waiter looked very happy with himself, as I would have been. The promotional tie-in is a stellar idea, but would Morrissey permit the overdubs required for “Nair-dresser on Fire” and Nair Apparent”?

You are tapping my inner zeitgeist there, CJM. And bordering on intellectual theft of my entire "Smooth Jazz, Moz" themed album compilation.

You are tapping my inner zeitgeist there, CJM. And bordering on intellectual theft of my entire "Smooth Jazz, Moz" themed album compilation.
Mr. Shoes, perhaps I missed it, as I’m just passing through here, on my way to somewhere civilised. A “Smooth Jazz, Moz” compilation. Pray tell…..

Kids a f***er and People are the Same between them downgraded the 2011 tour, which would have been even better without their inclusion. At least Kid hasn’t saw the light of day since. I think PATSE stayed for a couple of years, vanished in 2014 (thankfully) but returned the next year the odd time (unfortunately)
I dunno, I don’t mind those songs. He did much worse in the following years.

I started to buy Morrissey singles when they were out at the time of The Last of the Famous; Picadilly Palace was the first single being a real disappointment. With time, I learned to enjoy the song, but until now, I consider both B sides among his worst.

There's something to be said about a song that doesn't even attempt to disguise how bad it sucks. In that, "Get Off the Stage" becomes charming because the stakes are set so low from the start. For whatever reason the lyric "as a verse drags on like a month drags on / it's very short, but it seems very long" appear in my mind fairly often. It's fun to listen to and it's essentially about Morrissey now (who was worn some incredibly misguided trousers). Funny how that works.

In any case, he has far worse songs. At least this one has a melody.

‘Get off the stage’ is easily one of his finest moments.

"Get Off the Stage" becomes charming because the stakes are set so low from the start.
That was my sentiment exactly way back when. Then unfortunately the bar kept moving, and many other songs also filled the space under that bar...

But I got older and so did he. And now I am grateful for the ride it has been and the many songs I do enjoy.

How do you feel about the modern renditions of "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?" It's a pretty Cajun vibe there.

How do you feel about the modern renditions of "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?" It's a pretty Cajun vibe there.
Interesting. I never heard it in that light. Imagine Moz full-on singing along with a steel guitar, washboard, accordion, fiddle and triangle!

That's it - I am throwing down the gauntlet to Boz!

I missed that one, or simply can’t remember. He also did something funny with First of the gang.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom