Morrissey A-Z: "Ganglord"

BookishBoy

We kick off the G's with this, a B-side from "The Youngest Was the Most Loved" single and also included on the Swords compilation.

What do we think?

One of my favourites on Swords: a great vocal performance that lifts some of the less dynamic performances. The lyrics are simple, and don’t go into too much detail, but paint a clear-enough picture. The piano adds an extra texture that was missing on many Ringleader songs, although there’s a little too much high end in the production. Definitely should have secured a place on the album, as it is better than many of the lesser cuts placed on there. And Moz always knows how to pull out all the stops for a great ending...

This was one of the highlights of the shows when it was new along with "Life Is A Pigsty." I think the live versions are better but either way I really like this one.

Said it a thousand times: having a hard time grasping why this one is such a fan favorite. It’s musically sluggish, heavy handed and dull. No vocal melody and the lyrics are just ‘meh’. I can not believe it’s not a Jesse composition - he was basically churning out dull tracks like this one back then (admittedly, though, this would have been a bit more ambitious than his other efforts). I never feel the urge to listen to this one.

I like the line about the clock on the wall making fun of us all.

This was one of the highlights of the shows when it was new along with "Life Is A Pigsty." I think the live versions are better but either way I really like this one.
it was sung for the first time ever in my little home town so it will always be fondly remembered by me.ringleader tour was amazing,great days indeed.as for ganglord,great song love the at change at 3.44.

Just one of the best. Its relegation to a b-side was almost as criminal as our titular antihero. Must have been great live.

Not a personal favourite of mine, but I can recognize that it is superior to most b-sides. It is indeed a strong lead vocal and the production is solid, the combination giving the song a very full sound.

The Ringleaders tour was unquestionably great, but this song was not a highlight for me.

And while I don't love this song, we have some much worse tracks coming up within the next week. :)

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 34th from 264 solo songs.

Said it a thousand times: having a hard time grasping why this one is such a fan favorite. It’s musically sluggish, heavy handed and dull. No vocal melody and the lyrics are just ‘meh’. I can not believe it’s not a Jesse composition - he was basically churning out dull tracks like this one back then (admittedly, though, this would have been a bit more ambitious than his other efforts). I never feel the urge to listen to this one.
It's an interesting one, I agree. It's not particularly my cup of Morrissey-tea either - I much prefer pretty/sad/soft/pop Moz to the heavier/rock stuff but of its kind it's probably one of the best ones? I can't help thinking of Be Here Now era Oasis when I hear it!

Great music, but awful awful lyrics. The get back to the ghetto bit is just so cringe.

It's an interesting one, I agree. It's not particularly my cup of Morrissey-tea either - I much prefer pretty/sad/soft/pop Moz to the heavier/rock stuff but of its kind it's probably one of the best ones? I can't help thinking of Be Here Now era Oasis when I hear it!
You’re on to something regarding Be Here Now - but let’s not forget that that’s their worst album!

Not a personal favourite of mine, but I can recognize that it is superior to most b-sides. It is indeed a strong lead vocal and the production is solid, the combination giving the song a very full sound.

The Ringleaders tour was unquestionably great, but this song was not a highlight for me.

And while I don't love this song, we have some much worse tracks coming up within the next week. :)

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 34th from 264 solo songs.
theres also three decent ones in the next five days.would be boring if everyone liked everything.

You're not wrong there!
All guitar, no bass, almost every song is three minutes too long and the lyrics are absolute shite. 😁 Cocaine, huh?

A friend of mine, who is a Morrissey aficionado, but in no way a blind sheep follower; reckons that Ganglord is one of *Modern Morrissey's finest.

I can't hear what he hears. I think it's a tuneless dirge. I do like the clock on the wall line though. Where did he steal that one from?

*Post Maladjusted

A friend of mine, who is a Morrissey aficionado, but in no way a blind sheep follower; reckons that Ganglord is one of *Modern Morrissey's finest.

I can't hear what he hears. I think it's a tuneless dirge. I do like the clock on the wall line though. Where did he steal that one from?

*Post Maladjusted
Tell your friend that a fellow aficionado said that a song with as stupid lyrics as Ganglord can never be considered one of Modern Morrissey’s Finest.

I love the part where he says taunting me haunting want me as the me hits with the bass drum as it adds that feeling of the subject being pressure. I remember someone here once said that the piano overtop the electronics kinda offered a tale of two social worlds. A neat thought

Never understood why people think this should have been on Ringleader. It's a very personal album about love and guilt and desire and breaking free - how the hell would Ganglord fit on there?

I like the song and I think it sounds better than most of Ringleader, but I'm not crazy about it. It has a very 90s-alternative-feel to it and the Be Here Now comparison isn't flattering but not entirely wrong.

I can see why some people love it though and also why others don't. Always thought the intro was the best part, musically.

Never understood why people think this should have been on Ringleader. It's a very personal album about love and guilt and desire and breaking free - how the hell would Ganglord fit on there?

This. Preach!

Never understood its success: the music is interesting, especially for Morrissey, but his words, well no, but he will do worse with Who Will protect Us From the Police?.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom