Morrissey A-Z: "Dear God Please Help Me"

Somewhat comforted to see that I share the same sentiments as many people in this thread. I think this is one of the most overrated songs in Morrissey's career, surely done a great disservice by having been so hyped-up before the record came out. I wanted to like this so badly, but there's just practically nothing there. I'm always rooting for the acoustic (or at the very least non-rocking) tracks on a new Morrissey record, as it seems like there's always a little more possibility in restraint. But this one just feels like a missed opportunity.
in this thread we have done A,B,C and are now onto D,have you liked anything yet.there is hard to please and theres impossible to please,think you could be the latter.

Oh, nice one! Eccleston is a big fan, of course.

Love the whole idea of Moz set against the dramatic backdrop of a slate-grey Victorian sky. A vengeful Messiah, not a redeemer.

Had this one as my phone wallpaper for a long time.

View attachment 68779

Being as still ill as wot í am, í can truthfully remember, like yesterday, walking into my local fragrant Newsagent, Confectioner & Stationer in that Autumn of 1990, to set my first sight on that Gino Sprio image, seen for the first time on the cover of "Time Out" ~

Morrissey Gino Sprio TO 1990.jpg

{* í had forgotten that "Time Out" reversed the image? Or did they? Which is the 'proper' soccer Moz?}

In those 'funny little singles' daze it was a rare event {for some of us} to see M. on the cover of a magazine.
"Vox" had appeared a few weeks previously, but with a dull cover and a year old Cummins shot.
The quantum solace of the questionnaire in the "Sunday Correspondent" had appeared to a tiny delirious few the previous weekend, with, again, another old Cummins promo shot.

And Morrissey 'going up for a header', in 1990, was a pretty queer thing to see on my middle shelf. This was in the wake of the seismic Italia '90 and "The Guardian" classes suddenly wanking lyrical about 'footy', the beautiful game, 'Nessun dorma' and all that shite. Had Moz gone hard? Or soft in the head?

My atria hadn't been this fibrillated since stepping into the same Newsagent eight months prior and catching sight of that face on "The Face", and shot by my shutter idol Anton Corbijn ~

Morrissey The Face Anton Corbijn cover March 1990.jpeg

And, incidentally, that "Time Out" article, by Nick Coleman, remains one of my most favourite pieces of writing on Morrissey. It's barely an interview, and yet seems to express M. better, at that particular moment, than his own words. Coleman doesn't seem to even be a particular fan, but writes beautifully for all that.

4 weeks later, Moz popped onto Jonathan Ross's teatime TV show, and my fate was sealed.

Being as still ill as wot í am, í can truthfully remember, like yesterday, walking into my local fragrant Newsagent, Confectioner & Stationer in that Autumn of 1990, to set my first sight on that Gino Sprio image, seen for the first time on the cover of "Time Out" ~

View attachment 68788
{* í had forgotten that "Time Out" reversed the image? Or did they? Which is the 'proper' soccer Moz?}

In those 'funny little singles' daze it was a rare event {for some of us} to see M. on the cover of a magazine.
"Vox" had appeared a few weeks previously, but with a dull cover and a year old Cummins shot.
The quantum solace of the questionnaire in the "Sunday Correspondent" had appeared to a tiny delirious few the previous weekend, with, again, another old Cummins promo shot.

And Morrissey 'going up for a header', in 1990, was a pretty queer thing to see on my middle shelf. This was in the wake of the seismic Italia '90 and "The Guardian" classes suddenly wanking lyrical about 'footy', the beautiful game, 'Nessun dorma' and all that shite. Had Moz gone hard? Or soft in the head?

My atria hadn't been this fibrillated since stepping into the same Newsagent eight months prior and catching sight of that face on "The Face", and shot by my shutter idol Anton Corbijn ~

View attachment 68789

And, incidentally, that "Time Out" article, by Nick Coleman, remains one of my most favourite pieces of writing on Morrissey. It's barely an interview, and yet seems to express M. better, at that particular moment, than his own words. Coleman doesn't seem to even be a particular fan, but writes beautifully for all that.

4 weeks later, Moz popped onto Jonathan Ross's teatime TV show, and my fate was sealed.

I have learnt that the only way to figure out if a picture of Morrissey at this stage of physical perfection is flipped or not is to look for his earlobe piercing, which is on his right side.
I don't think it would be visible here but the Time Out picture somehow feels more "right way round" than the other one, which was also used for the fabulous Kill Uncle ads.

I'm not quite sure why I find the football imagery so appealing. I think it has something to do with the suspense that is created by the question what will happen if his immaculate, seemingly unshakeable quiff ends up meeting the ball

in this thread we have done A,B,C and are now onto D,have you liked anything yet.there is hard to please and theres impossible to please,think you could be the latter.
There’s plenty, feel free to go through my posts until you feel satisfied.

I have learnt that the only way to figure out if a picture of Morrissey at this stage of physical perfection is flipped or not is to look for his earlobe piercing, which is on his right side.
I don't think it would be visible here but the Time Out picture somehow feels more "right way round" than the other one, which was also used for the fabulous Kill Uncle ads.

I'm not quite sure why I find the football imagery so appealing. I think it has something to do with the suspense that is created by the question what will happen if his immaculate, seemingly unshakeable quiff ends up meeting the ball

That Tango Classic would surely melt into oblivion, like any other physical object with any taste, in the face of such oncoming armageddon perfection?

That cover certainly gasted my flabber at the time, as the last thing one expected to see Morrissey doing in 1990 on a cover shoot was a header. It's lost a little of that effect now, given how we would get to see Butch Moz within a few short years of those Sprio snaps.

Checking my archive í see that, when í contacted Gino in 2005 to enquire about prints, he only had the black & white parts of the Hook End shoot, no colour. We got to the stage of sizes & prices for archival fibre based silver bromide prints of the French Doors "wobbily walk" shots, Moz in Smiths T sitting at the mic in studio, Etc. He offered to make contact sheets of 10-15 rolls, scan those and e-mail them, so í could choose my shots. And then...it stopped. í can't work out whether í got cold feet or he did. Maybe word came down from Beechmount? ;)
This was over a period of about 4 months. í was set to buy a 16"x20" print for £160. It would probably be double that now. Maybe í should try again..?

That Tango Classic would surely melt into oblivion, like any other physical object with any taste, in the face of such oncoming armageddon perfection?

That cover certainly gasted my flabber at the time, as the last thing one expected to see Morrissey doing in 1990 on a cover shoot was a header. It's lost a little of that effect now, given how we would get to see Butch Moz within a few short years of those Sprio snaps.

Checking my archive í see that, when í contacted Gino in 2005 to enquire about prints, he only had the black & white parts of the Hook End shoot, no colour. We got to the stage of sizes & prices for archival fibre based silver bromide prints of the French Doors "wobbily walk" shots, Moz in Smiths T sitting at the mic in studio, Etc. He offered to make contact sheets of 10-15 rolls, scan those and e-mail them, so í could choose my shots. And then...it stopped. í can't work out whether í got cold feet or he did. Maybe word came down from Beechmount? ;)
This was over a period of about 4 months. í was set to buy a 16"x20" print for £160. It would probably be double that now. Maybe í should try again..?

I think I already told you, it's never too late to chase your dreams and invest a ridiculous amount of money in a [beautiful] piece of cardboard.

This time without divine (or messianic?) intervention, hopefully.

Just make sure to resume the conversation as if it hasn't been over 15 years since your last contact. ;)

I think I already told you, it's never too late to chase your dreams and invest a ridiculous amount of money in a [beautiful] piece of cardboard.

This time without divine (or messianic?) intervention, hopefully.

Just make sure to resume the conversation as if it hasn't been over 15 years since your last contact. ;)

"So, Gino, as í was saying..."

"So, Gino, as í was saying..."

"... about those contact sheets you mentioned..."

I'm sure he'll remember.

(If he doesn't you might be able to beat down the price.)

"... about those contact sheets you mentioned..."

I'm sure he'll remember.

(If he doesn't you might be able to beat down the price.)

He remembered Moz calling it his "wobbily walk" 14 years after the fact, so maybe he has good recall.

One of his most underrated 21st century tunes for me - the production is beautiful, wistful and the lyrics (yes even “explosive kegs) are fantastic.

“And I am so very tired, of doing the right thing”

who hasn’t ever felt like that?

He remembered Moz calling it his "wobbily walk" 14 years after the fact, so maybe he has good recall.

Frankly, I can't imagine anyone forgetting a conversation with Morrissey that includes the words "wobbily walk". Seems like a very memorable thing.

That's not to say that your exchange was any less remarkable, of course. But you know how it is, a large part of the charm is lost when communicating via electronic mail.

Somewhat comforted to see that I share the same sentiments as many people in this thread. I think this is one of the most overrated songs in Morrissey's career, surely done a great disservice by having been so hyped-up before the record came out. I wanted to like this so badly, but there's just practically nothing there. I'm always rooting for the acoustic (or at the very least non-rocking) tracks on a new Morrissey record, as it seems like there's always a little more possibility in restraint. But this one just feels like a missed opportunity.
Totally agree. I feel like I must be missing something tremendous in not 'getting' this song because everyone else seems to love it, but I just find it.. dull and meandering? It doesn't go anywhere. The fact that the Press latched onto it as a 'coming out' song meant it got more attention than it deserved, I think - but for me it just demonstrated that they'd never paid much attention to Moz' lyrics before. Not a song I replay.

One of my top ten Morrissey songs,it has to me at least a soulful gospel feel and it's a great song live.As I have said before it was a great album and great tour.Plus as a school boy I played cello and I adore its sound.

Last edited:
Whereas I like the production of most of the album, I really believe they missed something with this song, which could have been amazing.

View attachment 68788

View attachment 68789

THE FACE : One of the best Moz's interviews ever (along with one or two Inrockuptibles ones).At that time , Fiona Dodwell wasn't born yet and Morrissey was still on this planet.

Just worked out that "Time Out" reversed the Gino Sprio header shot for the cover. It's all about the buttons! Unless he's wearing ladies casuals... :unsure:

Just worked out that "Time Out" reversed the Gino Sprio header shot for the cover. It's all about the buttons! Unless he's wearing ladies casuals... :unsure:

Smart!

Wouldn't be the first time though.

He has his ear pierced? Is there an earring picture?

He has his ear pierced? Is there an earring picture?

You can spot it here.

(The Smiths' last live performance and he and Johnny are wearing matching earrings 🥲)

The piercing hole can, to this day, be seen in many close up pictures but this is the only occasion I'm aware of where he actually wore any jewellery in it.

You can spot it here.

(The Smiths' last live performance and he and Johnny are wearing matching earrings 🥲)

The piercing hole can, to this day, be seen in many close up pictures but this is the only occasion I'm aware of where he actually wore any jewellery in it.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom