Morrissey A-Z: "Dear God Please Help Me"

I don't like the album cover - but I'd redo all his solo album covers. His solo career needs repositioned anyway & someone's bound to get round to it. Hopefully this century.

I don't like the album cover - but I'd redo all his solo album covers. His solo career needs repositioned anyway & someone's bound to get round to it. Hopefully this century.
Sadly it's most likely Moz himself, who will redo all these solo covers too. In my opinion Ringleader and Refusal covers are fine -- and redoing covers is pointless away, especially if the remakes are worse like Morrissey's usually are.

Perhaps I am a design snob, but what I hated the most - then and now - was the fonts used on "Ringleader" related-products. Bump up that font-size as well Moz - your fans aren't getting any younger!

Brilliant. Morrissey torn between lust and sin in the Holy City, but finding liberation and happiness in the end ("The heart feels free"). The music is reverent and solemn, as it should be. The song will always be testimony to a period spent in Rome.

Sadly it's most likely Moz himself, who will redo all these solo covers too. In my opinion Ringleader and Refusal covers are fine -- and redoing covers is pointless away, especially if the remakes are worse like Morrissey's usually are.
If Moz would only consider a non-fiction project and put forth a follow-up to 'Peepholism'. He and Jo Slee could reflect on his newer works (good, bad, otherwise) and comment on the large picture of his design sense over the years.

I'm thinking of proper team, coming in, cleaning it up & relaunching the lot - he's had a such a weird career, but he's a cult artist, it's a great core product, perfect for a 'rediscovery'. Maybe on the back of a documentary or something.

I'm thinking of proper team, coming in, cleaning it up & relaunching the lot - he's had a such a weird career, but he's a cult artist, it's a great core product, perfect for a 'rediscovery'. Maybe on the back of a documentary or something.
:sick:

Perhaps I am a design snob, but what I hated the most - then and now - was the fonts used on "Ringleader" related-products. Bump up that font-size as well Moz - your fans aren't getting any younger!

Yeah - he's been very visually confused since the Smiths ended.

Your Arsenal is pure filth (love it), Bona is him at his most Imperial Camp.. then there's the 60s parodies like Ringleader, which I don't think read well enough as parodies. Ringleader keeps reminding me of a line I once read about a star looking like he was in a shitkicker's idea of a monkey suit.

But I expect the budgets have been terrible, he's dragged his heels, deadlines loomed.

He is high/low culture - but it needs more care.

The only interesting thing about it to me is that the "explosive kegs between my legs" line could be the obvious but could also be about a terrorist driving a fully loaded car bomb to deliver it to its destination.
I know it's not but it was more interesting that way, especially followed by the title line and coming after "I Will See You In Far Off Places," with it's sympathetic tone towards those who might be bombed by the US and it's sort of Middle Eastern melody.
It's not his worst song by far and at least he seemed to be trying to do something and seemed kind of inspired but I just don't care for it.
I'm going to listen to it after I take out the toters aka "wheelie bins" and see if I've changed my mind.

It makes me wonder whether the Italian police found explosive kegs in his car when they stopped him in 2017 (for driving too fast & in the wrong direction as you might expect from a terrorist).

Like Bookie and Eldritch mentioned, something is missing in the song that doesn't quite push it over the edge for me.

When it comes to Moz, my expectations are always high, and admittedly perhaps unfair. All the components are there but the sum of it all leaves some of us lacking...

:thumb:

Yeah - he's been very visually confused since the Smiths ended.

Your Arsenal is pure filth (love it), Bona is him at his most Imperial Camp.. then there's the 60s parodies like Ringleader, which I don't think read well enough as parodies. Ringleader keeps reminding me of a line I once read about a star looking like he was in a shitkicker's idea of a monkey suit.

But I expect the budgets have been terrible, he's dragged his heels, deadlines loomed.

He is high/low culture - but it needs more care.

40s, actually. And it's not supposed to be a parody but a sincere tribute.

true-to-you Q&A 19 June 2007:

"The picture of you holding the violin on the cover of Ringleader Of The Tormentors is brilliant! What was the inspiration for it?

Michelle
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

There is an American film from 1946 called "Humoresque" in which Oscar Levant holds up a copy of a magazine with John Garfield on the front playing the violin, as he does throughout the film. I thought the Garfield picture was so touching, so I tried to copy it. Interestingly, my right hand is cupped on the European version, but is straight on the US version."

Humoresque1946.jpg

While I agree that some solo covers are flawed (Ringleader is not one of them though) the thought of anyone except Moz overseeing re-designs gives me the creeps. It was when he stopped being so involved with the artwork when the first failures were released (most notably Maladjusted).
I really don't care for anyone else's input into his visual art, as it would dilute the message - even if that means I have to put up with atrocities like the CS and Doggo cover (and those are the only ones that should be changed anyway. Southpaw and Maladjusted already got a makeover and the rest is somewhere between fine and great).

It makes me wonder whether the Italian police found explosive kegs in his car when they stopped him in 2017 (for driving too fast & in the wrong direction as you might expect from a terrorist).
I suspect that explosive kegs were involved in some way, but not necessarily of the terrorist kind.

Last edited:
I'll never settle for anything less than quality... And you shouldn't either Special K! Viva Dagenham Dave!

Seems people’s expectations of what they expect from Morrissey and what Morrissey wants for himself don’t mix very well.

Artistically I too would like to see him do this that or the other thing
(most just want him to write the same as if he was still in his 20’s and early 30’s forever) but in spite of peoples criticisms, opinions and expectations of what Morrissey should do or should have done, he ultimately is the captain of his own ship. Even if others falsely perceive it as sinking, he, as always, mistakes and all, can at least say that he does it his way, as all true artists should, a rarity that should be appreciated.

:cool:

Last edited:
40s, actually. And it's not supposed to be a parody but a sincere tribute.

true-to-you Q&A 19 June 2007:

"The picture of you holding the violin on the cover of Ringleader Of The Tormentors is brilliant! What was the inspiration for it?

Michelle
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

There is an American film from 1946 called "Humoresque" in which Oscar Levant holds up a copy of a magazine with John Garfield on the front playing the violin, as he does throughout the film. I thought the Garfield picture was so touching, so I tried to copy it. Interestingly, my right hand is cupped on the European version, but is straight on the US version."

View attachment 68763

While I agree that some solo covers are flawed (Ringleader is not one of them though) the thought of anyone except Moz overseeing re-designs gives me the creeps. It was when he stopped being so involved with the artwork when the first failures were released (most notably Maladjusted).
I really don't care for anyone else's input into his visual art, as it would dilute the message - even if that means I have to put up with atrocities like the CS and Doggo cover (and those are the only ones that should be changed anyway. Southpaw and Maladjusted already got a makeover and the rest is somewhere between fine and great).

It's like a 1960s Mantovani album cover, despite the film inspiration.

Maybe a less glossy version...

It's too borderline kitsch.

Artistically I too would like to see him do this that or the other thing
(most just want him to write the same as if he was still in his 20’s and early 30’s forever) but in spite of peoples criticisms, opinions and expectations of what Morrissey should do or should have done, he ultimately is the captain of his own ship. Even if others falsely perceive it as sinking, he, as always, mistakes and all, can at least say that he does it his way, as all true artists should, a rarity that should be appreciated.

It's crap, I know...

But at least it's his crap :LOL:

(so back off, SER!)

It's crap, I know...

But at least it's his crap :LOL:

(so back off, SER!)

As an artist, and as important as the art is to Morrissey, eventually there should come a time when even the artist becomes tired of caring so much, too much, and just wants to relax and focus on other things in life that may have not been a part of their earlier life.

Morrissey has really given his listeners/fans enough, anything extra is a pleasant surprise and should be appreciated as is given, simply because it’s given at all. Appreciate the growth and changes, hear it new, rather than approaching each new work of his with expectations and comparisons to earlier work which just
get in the way of actually hearing the music in the first place.

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom