Morrissey A-Z: "Cosmic Dancer"

BookishBoy

The song for today in the A-Z is "Cosmic Dancer" - first released as a live b-side on the "Pregnant for the Last Time" single. And then of course recently resurrected as a "single" with Bowie, recorded live in LA.

What do we think of this / these?

And tomorrow, we start on the "D" songs...

Strangely heart-tugging for a wee singalong.

Maybe it's making me imagine him all alone at those gigs when he was 12, staring at the stage, yet to be disillusioned.

Along with that's entertainment it is imho his best cover version,Morrissey and a acoustic guitar is near perfection.

its okay but doesnt really go anywhere.

A decent cover, but doesn’t do much for me. I rarely listen to it. I’m not that big on covers full stop, really. That’s Entertainment is probably Mozzer’s best ever cover.

I like it. There is something crispy in his voice here and there which I find quite fetching.

Give me Tony the Pony over this any day.
Due to it only being in the 12’ of Pregnant (vinyl wise) I never listen to it, save for the times I dedicate a whole day to playing a all my Morrissey 12’s (which if not often)
I also feel is has no place of Buggery Years

I’ve ordered the 7’ with Bowie, but only for collector purposes. Nothing to be excited about.

Sorry Moz x

Nick Cave's recent cover of this same song is far superior for me than this one, although I don't think the comparison is fair; Cave's version actually being a recording to be included on an album, Morrissey's version just being a good live song-along. Unfortunately, the band wasn't capable of anything better than that at the time.

Nick Cave's recent cover of this same song is far superior for me than this one, although I don't think the comparison is fair; Cave's version actually being a recording to be included on an album, Morrissey's version just being a good live song-along. Unfortunately, the band wasn't capable of anything better than that at the time.

I guess one would need to be a fan of Nick Caves voice, and I love low voices, and was excited to hear Nicks version of it. But unfortunately when I heard it, well it just doesn’t work for me, his version of Cosmic Dancer that is.

Though I wish Morrissey did do it in the studio, maybe he felt that he couldn’t really do it or didn’t want to do anything different with it, and thought it best to just leave it as a live song, and spread a little Marc love in 91, even if eventually it was cut short by disappointment.

Strangely heart-tugging for a wee singalong.

Maybe it's making me imagine him all alone at those gigs when he was 12, staring at the stage, yet to be disillusioned.

I think most people/fans don’t (or don’t care to) put themselves in Morrissey’s shoes and try to understand why he does the cover songs he does. I imagine the 12 year old Morrissey dreaming enraptured as he sits cross legged between his stereo speakers
listening to the strange cosmic warbling voice and music of T Rex in his room. And what is he dreaming of? maybe that one day he too will ride the white swan of stardom, just to be on stage singing his own words, and sharing his created world with others out there that may feel the same way he does.

These weirdos on plastic, gave him hope that there just might be a reason for him to stick around.

‘Is it wrong to understand
The fear that dwells inside a man?
What's it like to be a loon (alone)
I liken it to a balloon

I danced myself out of the womb
I danced myself out of the womb
Is it strange to dance so soon?
I danced myself into the tomb
But then again
Once more
.. ‘

reincarnation, baby.

:cool:

Last edited:
Though I wish Morrissey did do it in the studio, maybe he felt that he couldn’t really do it or didn’t want to do anything different with it, and thought it best to just leave it as a live song, and spread a little Marc love in 91, even if eventually it was cut short by disappointment.
This recording certainly captured an era in Morrissey's career, a time when he was into punk rock with minimalistic backing (and the band still learning). It offers a good flashback to those days, and it was well received at the time. So I rate it as a collectors item more than anything else. That's entertainment is a recorded cover with a similar vibe. I also feel more love for that one.

This recording certainly captured an era in Morrissey's career, a time when he was into punk rock with minimalistic backing (and the band still learning). It offers a good flashback to those days, and it was well received at the time. So I rate it as a collectors item more than anything else. That's entertainment is a recorded cover with a similar vibe. I also feel more love for that one.

Yeah Entertainment is a good one, how ‘bout Skin Storm? not bad too.

I feel that Morrissey covered Cosmic Dancer for personal reasons without
caring really what fans or anyone thinks about it or wants to hear (which usually is the case).

It is his gift to us, a little peak into his heart showing us what he loves and what/who he’s made up of, and why he’s on the stage at all.

‘I was dancing when I was twelve ..’

:)

"I'm your cosmic dancer, a dancer for money
I'll do what you want me to do
I'm your cosmic dancer, a dancer for money
And any old music will do..."

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom