Morrissey A-Z: "Certain People I Know"

Certain People I Know is one of the great "Ah-Ha" tunes.
That part at the end where Moz sings "Ah, Ha-Ha-Ha"
Another one would be the Huey Smith tune,
with the "Ahh,Ha,Ha,Ha".
Course, my guy Bob Wills has got plenty tunes,
with the "Aaaah Haaaa!".

Last edited:
I was happy with this being a single along with the other two, fatty , we hate it... then a poster mentioned about the above being unusual singles and then I thought about it. what else .... other than your gonna need... or seasick perhaps...

Kinda surprised this weren't a bigger hit for Moz.
It's got the catchy jangle tune and it's got the relatable relation
of how ya like certain folks and ya don't like certain others.
Maybe it would have been more successful if it had been the first single from the album instead of the last.

I originally heard the line 'they break their necks and cant afford to get them fixed' 'They break their necks and count to four to get their fix'

The Bolan connection wasn't widely made amongst fans at the time. It's only the advent of the internet that's means that 'everybody's clever nowadays'
I've agreed with (and really enjoyed) all your reviews to date but not this one!
There was actually plenty of talk of the Bolan connection at the time, although perhaps more T-Rex than Bolan. Several reviewers pointed out the similarity with Ride a White Swan - I hadn't heard of the song before this but the Certain People riff is so similar, it's almost a sample.
Anyway, a great song. Bright, breezy and tuneful. Love the final section with the multiple backing-vocal harmonies and Morrissey's oh-oh-woah-woas!
Yes, the song should have been the first single - would have gone much higher and might well have stopped the album from being a commercial flop. Despite much greater critical acclaim, Your Arsenal's still sold fewer copies than Kill Uncle in the UK and, along with Maladjusted, remains his only 20th century solo album not to at least go 'silver'.
Seem to recall Radio 1 playing it at the time (Simon Bates!) but, yes, the third single from an album is never going to do very well. Also recall a concert review at the time saying that Certain People had shed its 'coy Knopflerisms'!

Last edited:
I was happy with this being a single along with the other two, fatty , we hate it... then a poster mentioned about the above being unusual singles and then I thought about it. what else .... other than your gonna need... or seasick perhaps...

Tomorrow was the single in the US, and I quite liked that one.
National Front Disco is an incredible rocker and super catchy, but presumably ruled out because of the title?

National Front Disco is an incredible rocker and super catchy, but presumably ruled out because of the title?
I don’t think the dust had settled from Finsbury for National front disco to be a single, even Morrissey didn’t have the nerve to.....
Yes can recall Tomorrow being released in the U.S and a .
I can remember buying your Arsenal and loving it
The only arse that I’ve really loved😁😁😁

“We might release that as a single...do you think it would be a hit?”

Was reading a sociology book - for reasons - & came across this from 1978 -

To this end a Young National Front (YNF) was soon established, through which football tournaments and social events (National Front Discos) were organised in tandem with the dissemination of NF literature aimed specifically at young people.

Which does make the assertion about Panic a bit ridiculous.

I've agreed with (and really enjoyed) all your reviews to date but not this one!
There was actually plenty of talk of the Bolan connection at the time, although perhaps more T-Rex than Bolan. Several reviewers pointed out the similarity with Ride a White Swan - I hadn't heard of the song before this but the Certain People riff is so similar, it's almost a sample.
Anyway, a great song. Bright, breezy and tuneful. Love the final section with the multiple backing-vocal harmonies and Morrissey's oh-oh-woah-woas!
Yes, the song should have been the first single - would have gone much higher and might well have stopped the album from being a commercial flop. Despite much greater critical acclaim, Your Arsenal's still sold fewer copies than Kill Uncle in the UK and, along with Maladjusted, remains his only 20th century solo album not to at least go 'silver'.
Seem to recall Radio 1 playing it at the time (Simon Bates!) but, yes, the third single from an album is never going to do very well. Also recall a concert review at the time saying that Certain People had shed its 'coy Knopflerisms'!
I should add for context Mike, the average age of a Moz fan around then was not massively familiar with Bolan's work. Pre-internet, you'd have had to known Ride A White Swan AND remembered it AND noticed its similarity. People were not that observant.

I should add for context Mike, the average age of a Moz fan around then was not massively familiar with Bolan's work. Pre-internet, you'd have had to known Ride A White Swan AND remembered it AND noticed its similarity. People were not that observant.
Ummm, it was literally everywhere. If anyone thinks they are clever for pointing out the similarity then the reality is they are 30 years late to the party. It is like claiming Oasis sound like the Beatles and expecting people to think you are a genius for it.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom