Morrissey A-Z: "Blue Dreamers Eyes"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this one, "Blue Dreamers Eyes" - a so-called "lost track" that was uploaded to YouTube by SER in 2018.

What do we think of this one?

And is it just me, or is there a missing apostrophe in there, somewhere?

Snip...

And is it just me, or is there a missing apostrophe in there, somewhere?
That'll be down to who shared the song - they've got previous for grammar issues.

I find it an ear worm. The lack of details about it and the ambiguity of certain lyrics give way to a strong, crooning vocal and strings which are never a bad thing.
A decent Boorer track and one I like - which obviously means a decent quality version is out of the question. The general response here at the time of it appearing was positive.
Regards,
FWD.

(It dates to circa 2017, where it first appeared on the BMI site - which is the closest to accurate as it gets with Sam's unnecessary lack of clarity).

Is it me or are the vocals muted? I think it has greater promise if reworked.

Otherwise, it brings a smile to my face.

Oh man...This song hits me right in the gut. It really sums up why I (we?) love Mozzer and why I fell in love with him in the first place. The melody is superb, the lyrics are from the heart and the atmosphere is warm and melancholy. It's a crime that it never had a proper release. This is the type of song that people long to hear from Moz. This is the antithesis to World Peace, Who Will Protect Us, The Girl from Tel Aviv, Neal Cassady etc etc.

Nice track to start a new week with. It's a classic Boz / Moz composition: direct, catch and even cheerful. Never mind the self-depreciative lyrics "I am scum and I have always been scum", I'll happily sing along.

great song and the video always warms my heart,the fans from that part of the world seem really happy to be at an M concert,compare their enthusiasm with the usual suspects who loiter with intent on here,its like night and day.

Not bad - had forgotten how 'stringy' it is. If we were voting, I'd probably give it a 7/10. A spruced-up recording could push it to an 8.

I like it -- but surely Morrissey has written this vocal melody many times before? It's so familiar, it sounds like an early version of some other song. But it's a good lyric and a nice sentiment. If we're comparing this to LIHS, it's better than almost anything on the latter half (bar Israel).

Love this song and wish it would get a release somewhere aside from YouTube but at least we got that. Might hit familiar buttons but it’s welcome

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think it's slightly overrated. That's not to say I don't like it, I do and still play it regularly, but I'm afraid it's a bit too obvious and hackneyed and too sweet and sugary for my liking. I actually liked By The Time I Get To Wherever I'm Going and especially I Couldn't Understand Why People Laughed better.

I do love the "I'm scum and I've always been scum" line.

The quality is an absolute shame and no song should be released in such a way in this day and age.

The song sounds a little unfinished in terms of both the recording and the lyrics (particularly the "hands on your belly" line!), but it has a lot of charm to it.

The star, for me, is Morrissey's vocal melody and at times it feels like it is doing nearly all of the work. That's not really a slight against Boz's tune, but the vocal melody is often pretty detached from it.

Had it been recorded properly and given a slight lyrical rewrite, I could even imagine this being a single.

In the poll on the other board it ranked 200 from 264 solo songs.

Anyone else get 'Baby I Love You' when they hear this?
I confess to hating this song the first time I heard it. Listening to it again, it's not so bad but it's still a so-so lyric and melody line over a rather cliched harmonic sequence. It also sounds a bit high for M's voice - I think I'd be tempted to drop the key a tone or two.

great song and the video always warms my heart,the fans from that part of the world seem really happy to be at an M concert,compare their enthusiasm with the usual suspects who loiter with intent on here,its like night and day.

I don't know Gordy - me thinks I spotted the Asian-version of Julia up near the boundary center-stage!

Love this song and wish it would get a release somewhere aside from YouTube but at least we got that. Might hit familiar buttons but it’s welcome

I miss the days when he released EPs between the albums. This one, in a cleaned-up / finished version, plus "By the time I get to wherever I am going" plus "I couldn't understand why they laughed" would make up a nice EP.

I really like it. I concur that it needs a proper release. It’s definitely my favorite of these unreleased songs. And the video is wonderful, especially the behind-the-scenrehearsal footage!

I miss the days when he released EPs between the albums. This one, in a cleaned-up / finished version, plus "By the time I get to wherever I am going" plus "I couldn't understand why they laughed" would make up a nice EP.

Or a nice start to a rarities collection

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think it's slightly overrated. That's not to say I don't like it, I do and still play it regularly, but I'm afraid it's a bit too obvious and hackneyed and too sweet and sugary for my liking. I actually liked By The Time I Get To Wherever I'm Going and especially I Couldn't Understand Why People Laughed better.

I do love the "I'm scum and I've always been scum" line.

The quality is an absolute shame and no song should be released in such a way in this day and age.

I quite like the sweetness with the bleakness - a scummy failure heading to oblivion unsure if anyone will think he had any redeeming features.

He does use that theme quite a lot though.

Who does he want to have on the lawn!!

I absolutely love it. It brought me back on board (with Moz!) after years away, he lost me at "World Peace."

I quite like the sweetness with the bleakness - a scummy failure heading to oblivion unsure if anyone will think he had any redeeming features.

He does use that theme quite a lot though.
Yes, it's nice, it just didn't blow me away like it did most people. I enjoyed the complicated, bulky outlandishness of the arrangements on World Peace and Low In High School, so I didn’t feel like I needed this sentimental treat of a song. It's nice to read how much others love it though.

Who does he want to have on the lawn!!
See, that question is much more interesting, which is why I like BTTIGTWIG better.

Last edited:
This song got dropped after Moz said somethin' wild. Haha.
Can't remember what it was, but they gave it out and it was
funny because of the I'm scum stuff.
Always kinda thought that even though Moz gots blue eyes, the
blue eyes he's singin' about are some sad eyes and not the color.
A sad dreamer thinkin' just how much better things really could be.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom