Morrissey A-Z: "Because of My Poor Education"

:thumb:

Interesting....

‘Irish: Americanized form of Ó Muirgheasa ‘descendant of Muirgheas’, a personal name apparently derived from muir ‘sea’ + geas ‘taboo’, ‘prohibition’.

Morrissey is the forbidden sea?

makes sense, like that.

“all the things I need
and the things I receive
is an ancient ocean
wide, wild, lost, uncrossed”

:cool:

Spell or curse is the more usual translation... but forbidden sea does suit him.

Spell or curse is the more usual translation... but forbidden sea does suit him.

Maybe it’s why this is one of his faves ....

Maybe a truly underrated song. I am fond of it and I always listen this song all the time I put Swords on my CD player.

Great vocal performance, but lyrically just too self-pitying.

All those swooning 'ooooo's are amazing. But the rest of the song does get slightly wearing, in its relentless "woe is me, look at how crap my life is" sentiment. When Moz does this stuff well, it really gets you in the heartstrings, but something about this track just edges it into bringing out a "oh stop whining, you insufferable git" response in me.

I really love the piano on this, but the lyrics never quite add up to much and Morrissey's vocal melody (although his voice sounds lovely here) just has no hook to it at all, like he's literally making up the tune on the spot.

I totally share your view. It is really B-side stuff imo. Nothing really bothers me about this song, but nothing stands out either. It's a tune that passes pleasantly but doesn't hold you.

I was at Brixton in 09, I think this was its live debut. I quite like this and think it could have easily made Refusal.

Poor song in general but I love the way he sings "Reality is not real to me". His voice is beautiful.
It reminds me of "Crashing Bores".

Hadn't listened to this in quite a while, probably never on its own.

The music is quite bland and I don't like the guitar. Would have worked better with just simple piano.
The lyrics also don't do much for me, but I really like the last part

Once I was sure I had found my hero
And I allowed myself to think so
Reality is not real to me

Think there could have been a more interesting way to deal with this topic.

His voice is very beautiful and I love the clear, distinct enunciation, but it's a shame that it's drowned somewhere in the mix...

A somewhat pleasant piano melody that ultimately doesn't go anywhere for me. It's forgettable songs like this where I wish Morrissey would spend more time on his music (instead of bragging that he can't be bothered to do more than 1-2 takes). With some time and effort, could this have risen in stature to something like "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty"?

Last edited:
It is a melodramatic "orchid song", and as it is the case with all rare orchid songs, they need devoted and experienced admirers of their beauty in order to thrive, or else they'll wither away at the drop of a hat.
The melodramatic orchid song in particular is in a terrible plight, as by nature it is a tearjerker, but, on the other hand and as we all know, overwatering is the biggest threat to its existence, it will make its lil root balls ('orchis' -> testicle) rot.

The melodramatic orchid song is pathetic in excess, unscrupulously trying to trigger feelings of pity in us, combined with its high need for care, it will be a trial of patience to every music lover. But, nevertheless, when it feels that it has our full attention and the world is listening, it will raise its lil orchid head, brace itself and look at us with tears in its eyes to sing its beautifully plaintive lament for two or three minutes, before it sinks down again, all exhausted.

The struggle in this particular song is one between the life and death force, with the lyrical I clearly personifying the second one. The "you" seems to be someone (the hero) who has a lot of fun partying or seeing people, and belonging to a well-educated class of population. There is a social distance. Because of her lack of education, the lyrical I does not even know what the "indendation" below inbetween her legs is. It is all unrealistic in its language and also heightened in its emotionality, like melodramas are, but also kind of funny, if we remember that the tearjerkers of the 19th century are sort of impotent nowadays facing a calloused audience out of touch with their own sensibilites, which makes it all even harder for the orchid songs to find their niche and devoted adorers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor song in general but I love the way he sings "Reality is not real to me". His voice is beautiful.
It reminds me of "Crashing Bores".
I quite liked the early live plays of Crashing Bores. You can hear a suede influence on guitar, although a pub rock type

Suggestion
Maybe have a whole section for these Morrissey A toZ , it's actually one of the better idea's

I quite liked the early live plays of Crashing Bores. You can hear a suede influence on guitar, although a pub rock type

Suggestion
Maybe have a whole section for these Morrissey A toZ , it's actually one of the better idea's
Oh, I like Crashing Bores! Lovely. Just not keen on this one.

I remember it being performed at Sheffield City Hall in 2010 - an otherwise great gig - and it being met with a collective sigh of indifference. Morrissey said something along the lines of, "You didn't like that...I don't care". It's a half-listenable b-side...the fact that he put it into a setlist confirms his contrary nature...which is what appeals to most of us, I guess.

I remember it being performed at Sheffield City Hall in 2010 - an otherwise great gig - and it being met with a collective sigh of indifference. Morrissey said something along the lines of, "You didn't like that...I don't care". It's a half-listenable b-side...the fact that he put it into a setlist confirms his contrary nature...which is what appeals to most of us, I guess.
Probably the best of the UK Swords ones. It was the Friday after he collapsed at Swindon.

Probably the best of the UK Swords ones. It was the Friday after he collapsed at Swindon.
You are dead right, October 2009...where have those 11 years gone? Excellent night, great crowd, great setlist - with a couple of exceptions, obviously. Happy days.

You go Moz !!! :rock::lbf::cool:

This is a beauty, what is wrong with YOU people?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom