Morrissey A-Z: "Art-Hounds"

I like the lyrics but have never taken to this song. I don’t know why as on paper it seems to contain a lot of the things I ask for

The drums on the recorded version are too much - incessant
I love the intensity and the drama of the chorus - a showcase for his amazing voice
The lyrics are a bit disjointed - with great moments
This song has some truly great elements and was a in my humble opinion a missed opportunity - there is a absolute classic song in there somewhere
The Brixton performance was electric - great vocal

It seems to be a term he was using circa the song being written (although unhyphenated here), 'coincidentally' in an interview with Linder in 2010:

"LINDER: I have always treated myself as a found object.

MORRISSEY: So, you walk out of the Tate St. Ives [the Tate museum recently acquired several pieces of Linder’s work for its collection] having displayed your wares to the art hounds, and suddenly you see fat Christine Cowshed on the seafront tucking heartily into cod ’n’ chips. How do you relate it to your work at the Tate? How can both worlds possibly meet?

Nowadays, boys with enormous . . . record collections describe me as the “muse” to this circle in manchester. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. . . .
But you were my muses too. Linder"

Regards,
FWD.

It seems to be a term he was using circa the song being written (although unhyphenated here), 'coincidentally' in an interview with Linder in 2010:

MORRISSEY: So, you walk out of the Tate St. Ives [the Tate museum recently acquired several pieces of Linder’s work for its collection] having displayed your wares to the art hounds, and suddenly you see fat Christine Cowshed on the seafront tucking heartily into cod ’n’ chips. How do you relate it to your work at the Tate? How can both worlds possibly meet?

Nowadays, boys with enormous . . . record collections describe me as the “muse” to this circle in manchester. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. . . .

Regards,
FWD.

Great article - thanks!

MrShoes

Regards,
FWD.

I'm sad now that his phrase "your very ample headlamps" hasn't made it into a song. Yet...

Last edited:
It seems to date back even further. From a TTY statement from March 2008:

"I will take Hyde Park like a flea inhabits a dog. Art-hounds and people with badly cut hair are very welcome. I shall do my utmost not to pull a sour face."

My happiness will return once the phrase "people with badly cut hair" makes its way into Morrissey's next single. <sigh> a boy can dream...

MrShoes

My happiness will return once the phrase "people with badly cut hair" makes its way into Morrissey's next single. <sigh> a boy can dream...

MrShoes
Mine will return as soon as he takes any stage "like a flea inhabits a dog" again.

Like most, I prefer the 2011 live version. But still, it’s a great song. Witty lyrics delivered with fervor and urgency, and the music is both melodic and aggressive. But yeah, the studio version is in comparison a bit pale and tame. Too polished?

Live version is amazing - studio version less so. The guitars and energy are gone from the music, and changing the line "when you cannot stand the real world" to "if you cannot stand this fake world" is a mistake - the original version fits much better the idea of losing oneself in art.

This and 'Mexico' are the two songs that suffered most from 'great live - turned out a bit shit in studio' syndrome.

You are right about the lyric change: his first idea (if you cannot stand the real world) was better. After 4 years of Trump, I don't want to hear the word "fake whatever" anymore. To Morrissey's credit, the song was written and recorded before that time.

Last edited:
It's certainly unique. Written closer to Years Of Refusal than to the rest of World Peace (as it was played live in 2011), it wouldn't really have fit with either album.

Unlike many other songs we've already discussed I really like the music here, one of Boz's more interesting tunes.

I love the bombast and orotundity of it. It's mean and caustic and reflects Morrissey's contempt for critics and anyone who doesn't fully commit their life to the arts. It kind of reminds me of that flippant comment he made on The One Show, that unemployed people should try painting or writing instead 😆

This could have been a minor hit, had it been slightly streamlined.

My favourite parts are

Art-hounds see the Greek ideal
and gaze on what they'll never feel

The opera bit; the pills bit

And

If you cannot stand this fake world
Take my hand

...which would sound trite if anyone else were to sing it but expresses one of the main reasons people turn to Morrissey's music.

One and only live performance, August 7, 2011:

I have to disagree here lady. Despite YOR hitting the shelves in Feb 09, it shovel have been on the shelves in 08, but was delayed. The songs were all bar a few, penned in 06/07 and premiered in 07. So, makes 4 years (2007-2011) against 2011-2014.
But, I get what you’re saying, that aside
Sorry, I’m bored x

Anyone else think it was called Our Towns when first hearing it live? No? Just me then!
I remember the big debate at the time, was around the line "My life is opera". A huge number of folks here (probably a majority if memory serves) swore blind that it was 'my life is a book', and the argument rumbled on for years!

in my opinion, art hounds is an overrated song and not as good as what other posters in this thread think it is.

is that better, soft lad?
thats a lot better,well done.

Like most, I prefer the 2011 live version. But still, it’s a great song. Witty lyrics delivered with fervor and urgency, and the music is both melodic and aggressive. But yeah, the studio version is in comparison a bit pale and tame. Too polished?

Or music too bombastic? It seems like they were going for this HUGE sound and GRAND FINALE. I quite like it personally. It really showcases the strength and agility of his voice.

It's certainly unique. Written closer to Years Of Refusal than to the rest of World Peace (as it was played live in 2011), it wouldn't really have fit with either album.

Unlike many other songs we've already discussed I really like the music here, one of Boz's more interesting tunes.

I love the bombast and orotundity of it. It's mean and caustic and reflects Morrissey's contempt for critics and anyone who doesn't fully commit their life to the arts. It kind of reminds me of that flippant comment he made on The One Show, that unemployed people should try painting or writing instead 😆

This could have been a minor hit, had it been slightly streamlined.

My favourite parts are

Art-hounds see the Greek ideal
and gaze on what they'll never feel

The opera bit; the pills bit

And

If you cannot stand this fake world
Take my hand

...which would sound trite if anyone else were to sing it but expresses one of the main reasons people turn to Morrissey's music.

One and only live performance, August 7, 2011:

very hard to sing live just because there is so much going on.

Flawed but still quite good IMO. It has the energy and bite of an older era Moz song. Actually I thought most of the WPINOYB bonus material was quite strong.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom