Morrissey’s image post the Smiths breakup

He's stopped wearing that horrific white tracksuit thing from 2014 and, frankly, we should all be grateful for that.

Personally I’m glad he’s evolved in his image and isn’t trapped in one. When I saw soul asylum the music was fantastic and so were the new songs but David came out in what superficially it looked like a costume of his grunge self with tears in his pants made by scissors. Just saw a pic of a new guns and roses show and slash looks alike an old man dressed up as slash almost exactly from previous eras. I guess the point is can you imagine what it’d feel like if you had to go up on stage wearing the same clothes from when you were twenty

It's not as a drastic difference as some folks want to see it here. He started the double denim in 1987 already (Shoplifters TOTP and some photo sessions that era, with the Elvis denim jacket etc).

The expat British gangster look of Quarry era was cool too, but he hasn't really taken on a new image after that, has he? I think ageing is not a easy process for Morrissey -- he gives the impression that he's fighting a losing battle instead of feeling comfortable in his skin.

The expat British gangster look of Quarry era was cool too, but he hasn't really taken on a new image after that, has he? I think ageing is not a easy process for Morrissey -- he gives the impression that he's fighting a losing battle instead of feeling comfortable in his skin.
I never had that impression
i mean, i feel like he's one of the few celebrities that is ageing gracefully, he never had any job done to his face and he's not into forcying himself to gym sessions.
He long accepted that he's not 20 anymore.

About his style...it's not that i expect him to dress like he was 20 and with flowers in his pockets at 60, of course, but i don't like the gangster agressive weird look on him, i see him as a gentleman so that agressive look is weird , i don't think it suits him(personal opinion- i'm aware that fans and him may be fond of it).

For me, the biggest change was between early 90s Moz and mid 90s Moz.

This was from 1990:

And this was from 1995:

Clearly, he was heavier by 1995. Certainly not overweight however. In my opinion he looks much healthier there than in 1990, where he looks underweight quite frankly.

I don't know whether this was just his body changing naturally, or whether he changed/improved his diet, or took up exercise. But the change is clear.

Also, he certainly appeared less effeminate by the mid 90s. Maybe it was around the time he started becoming interested in boxing. Perhaps it inspired him to adopt a more macho image. I don't know.

His voice seems deeper and more masculine on Vauxhall and Southpaw than it does on the likes of Bona Drag and Kill Uncle.

This was from 1990:

And this was from 1995:

Clearly, he was heavier by 1995. Certainly not overweight however. In my opinion he looks much healthier there than in 1990, where he looks underweight quite frankly.

I don't know whether this was just his body changing naturally, or whether he changed/improved his diet, or took up exercise. But the change is clear.

Also, he certainly appeared less effeminate by the mid 90s. Maybe it was around the time he started becoming interested in boxing. Perhaps it inspired him to adopt a more macho image. I don't know.

His voice seems deeper and more masculine on Vauxhall and Southpaw than it does on the likes of Bona Drag and Kill Uncle.

Yeah - a lot of the joy goes out of him after the Smiths split - he gets quite glacial - then there's a weight gain & he's more snarly.

He said this in 95:

In the last years I tried several times to find advice with doctors, psychoanalysts. I first tried antidepressants - which don't work on me - then I attended a few therapies... but there again it wasn't a great success.

I was thinking it was a combination of age & the side-effects of medication.

This was from 1990:

And this was from 1995:

are you saying he had a sex change?

Back
Top Bottom