Market gap: Album lyric booklets

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
thank you. enjoy it actually when there is no pressure.

i personally think that all vinyls should come with the new and amazing album lyric booklet from now on. they would also make nice collectors' items esp. if the song lyrics were curated by morrissey himself.

there could also be a presentable hardcover bookshelf edition for those who want it all nicely bound together, anthology-like, like those 700-page, 10 kilo- bob dylan lyric anthologies covering decades of his song writing.
i see penguin classics publishing colorful album lyric collections in hardcover too, all insightfully curated by morrissey.

as i said, momentarily, i dont want another item for the bookshelf but a handy and slim booklet in BIG FONTS that doesnt break my nose when it falls on my face and can easily be found in the vinyl jacket.

I'd love that.

Morrissey should do it.

Not bought Dylan's. I will though. I f***ing love his lyrics.

Do you like Bob Dylan, lanterns?

Here is an idea to fill a gap in the music market and earn a million dollars!

The new and amazing album lyric booklet!

Question: are you sick of looking up lyrics online while listening to your fav music, or even worse, try to read miniature lyrics on album covers until you collapse vomitting your eyes out?

My two thoughts:

1) The current way of printing the lyrics is fine...

2) I think that once this corona inferno is over... one of the first doctors you will need to visit will be an ophthalmologist... Could it be that you need to use glasses or replace the current ones you have?

Tried the eco-stapler on a second cs prototype...
Had to separately eco-staple two parts as the stapler was not strong enough to go through all pages.
View attachment 55747
Some pages looked quite okay from the inside, but the binding margin has to be wider
View attachment 55748
Otherwise, lots of squeezin and back-pushin necessary to be able to read the beginnings of the lyric lines. Most punch-holes were subsequently torn apart.
View attachment 55749
Looks all shaky and slack.
View attachment 55750
Had to use cellotape again to prevent the punch-holes from unravelling and falling apart. Doesnt look that good, esp in the middle.
View attachment 55751
Outside okay though...
View attachment 55752
View attachment 55753
The end result. Scratch-risk limited to cat claws.
View attachment 55754
View attachment 55755

Resumé: the outside looks better and is safer than the first prototype with clip staples. The inside looks, compared to the first one, kind of loose-fittingly assembled and will collapse any second.

Great work!

I'd love that.

Morrissey should do it.

Not bought Dylan's. I will though. I f***ing love his lyrics.

Do you like Bob Dylan, lanterns?
i find him interesting. listened to two of his albums yesterday while cleaning the bathroom.

some of the songs still sound fresh, others defo need to be revived musically, partly lyrically.

he should release an album with some of the old songs on side a, and a modernized version of them on side b.

these monster 10 kilo lyric compilations are atrocious, with the lyrics printed in the smallest letters and the book crushing your nose when falling onto your face while you are trying to read it lying on your sofa.

plus, they shouldnt try to compete with the importance of the bible in our bookshelves.

only the words of our God should be printed in such enormous volumes. i hope, you also fckng love the God Almighty's words?

Last edited by a moderator:
My two thoughts:

1) The current way of printing the lyrics is fine...

2) I think that once this corona inferno is over... one of the first doctors you will need to visit will be an ophthalmologist... Could it be that you need to use glasses or replace the current ones you have?
1. thanks
2. a neverending story. for further information: post #1 , par. 1.

Those look great, Lanterns. I'm really fascinated by that stuff; I've done quite a few DIY chapbooks myself and it's always been a pain in the ass because I am totally uncoordinated and not even remotely artistic but it's definitely a labor of love, and to have the finished product in my hands always makes up for the swearing and kicking and throwing of supplies across the room in frustration that it took to get there.
thanks. interesting term, "chapbook". wiki: chapbook
seems as a type of "street literature" they existed from the 16th century onwards, so there is a long tradition of them.

i am more of a flimsy utilitarian chapbook-person myself, and not so much interested in presentable hardcover anthologies for the bookshelf, which is more of a bourgeois tradition, i guess, i.e. materializing your inner world into a durable item to store it, present it to others and then bequeath it to your many sons and daughters.

Third prototype of the new & amazing album lyric booklet exceeded all expectations today!

I followed @Mozmar 's advice and used the din a4 format for stapling. I only needed one clip to bundle up all pages nicely as you can see here,

20200415_175753_Burst01~2.jpg

1)
Thats the problematic lyrics collection on the shin's album jacket. Of course, it looks cool but nobody can seriously be expected to read that.
20200415_173533~2_copy_512x1024.jpg

2)
First i had to develop a plan on how to order the flow of all lyrics on the pages, so that they could be printed in the correct order. Was a bit complicated, but i prefer to think about things a bit longer and then come up with a realistic concept to needlessly wasting resources (paper and ink) in a trial-and-error fashion.
20200415_173805~2.jpg

3)
First print job worked perfectly...
20200415_172639~2_copy_1227x960.jpg

4)
Middle section,
20200415_172725~2_copy_1054x640.jpg

5)
I then had to pod one clip out from the stapler, which ruined a fingernail, and press it through the middle of the pages, so that the clip's legs, still open, would emerge on the other side. With 5 pieces of paper it is only just possible...
20200415_172955~2.jpg

6)
Squeezed legs from the back...
20200415_173001~2.jpg

7)
I then used the unyielding force of a pair of iron scissors to close 'em legs properly and decently. Looks nice now.
20200415_173104~2_copy_1604x960.jpg

8)
That's all i needed to bundle up the package... As you can see, i only applied the smallest piece of sellotape to cover up the clip. Everything looks safe and orderly.
20200415_173140~2_copy_1026x640.jpg

9)
The full package! (Headphones are not included)
20200415_173735~2_copy_792x499.jpg

10)
A look inside,
20200415_174032~3.jpg

11]
And outside...
20200415_174205~3.jpg

12]...
20200415_174239~4.jpg

Résumé: even without the clip, the folded pieces of paper hold together nicely. Traditionalist that i secretly am, i felt i had to penetrate and thus conjoin the separate papers, firstly, to befit their rank and protocol, and secondly, to make it a longterm affair.
Scratch-risk has been reduced to almost zero.

10)
A look inside,
View attachment 55907

11]
And outside...
View attachment 55908

12]...
View attachment 55909

Résumé: even without the clip, the folded pieces of paper hold together nicely. Traditionalist that i secretly am, i felt i had to penetrate and thus conjoin the separate papers, firstly, to befit their rank and protocol, and secondly, to make it a longterm affair.
Scratch-risk has been reduced to almost zero.

Or you could use a pocketmod style design. Maybe a bigger one if you prefer bigger fonts. I like tiny ones.

Or you could use a pocketmod style design. Maybe a bigger one if you prefer bigger fonts. I like tiny ones.
that's an interesting concept. i tried their folding method on a smaller piece of paper and it worked. disadvantage is, that only one side of a piece of paper can be printed on, so the booklet would need many more pieces of paper and thus turn out pretty big, especially if i want to print the lyrics in a larger font.

that's an interesting concept. i tried their folding method on a smaller piece of paper and it worked. disadvantage is, that only one side of a piece of paper can be printed on, so the booklet would need many more pieces of paper and thus turn out pretty big, especially if i want to print the lyrics in a larger font.

It's true. Anyway, if you didn't know it, maybe you can use it for something else. I used pocketmods to print easy knitting patterns during my knitting era.

It's true. Anyway, if you didn't know it, maybe you can use it for something else. I used pocketmods to print easy knitting patterns during my knitting era.
So, you had a knitting era. That sounds charming. What did you knit?
I remember that i had to knit an egg cosy at primary school once but never made it any further. My late grandma was a knitter and she knitted socks non-stop for everyone in the family. I still have two pairs which are slowly falling apart but i wear them fondly, cherishing her memory and enjoying my warm feet. The blue ones can be seen in one of the photos.

So, you had a knitting era. That sounds charming. What did you knit?
I remember that i had to knit an egg cosy at primary school once but never made it any further. My late grandma was a knitter and she knitted socks non-stop for everyone in the family. I still have two pairs which are slowly falling apart but i wear them fondly, cherishing her memory and enjoying my warm feet. The blue ones can be seen in one of the photos.

They look great. I knitted two pair of socks for my mother. She says she likes them. My knitting era ocurred when and concurred with the discovery of audiobooks, and it lasted until I listened the ones that interested me the most. I knitted a few things, mostly socks, and one (1) blue cardigan for Morrissey. I never gave it to him (of course). It's inspired by Morrissey and I call it "el cardigan de Morrissey". Once purchased all the good and expensive knitting needles in all the available sizes I lost my interest in knitting. I knew I couldn't last :blushing:

They look great. I knitted two pair of socks for my mother. She says she likes them. My knitting era ocurred when and concurred with the discovery of audiobooks, and it lasted until I listened the ones that interested me the most. I knitted a few things, mostly socks, and one (1) blue cardigan for Morrissey. I never gave it to him (of course). It's inspired by Morrissey and I call it "el cardigan de Morrissey". Once purchased all the good and expensive knitting needles in all the available sizes I lost my interest in knitting. I knew I couldn't last :blushing:
he should wear your cardigan on stage during your fav song and then send it back to you, unwashed, of course. nothing else would make sense, imho. do you still have it?
my experience with interests and hobbies is that they come and go like all lovers should. with regard to interests, i'd call myself multisexual. but i can only concentrate on one or two at the time. sometimes they come, go and then never return, which is okay too, but i know they helped me to get something out of my system.
i find nothing more depressing in life than people having only one or no interest at all besides the tedious and vague "spending time with family and friends". how boring and uncultivated life feels like when you have to share time with such folks, not for them, of course, as they can fully immerse into their mental vacuum with you or whoever.

Back
Top Bottom