Morrissey Central "Mamma Lay Softly" (August 15, 2020)

"The flowers of solace, comfort and consolation that have arrived at Beechmount - my mother's home for over 30 years, and now, her premature place of rest, are all so Hindu sundar; so beautiful; so expensive; so lavish; so glamorous; so much more than I ever expected that anyone anywhere would bestow on my mother. For my own life I don't care anything, but how my worldwide friends have regarded my mother with such great respect and faithful love is a gift to me that no success, triumphs or riches could match.

I send you what remains of my love, and I hope that we all survive so that one day, one way, the halls of music and free expression will never again hold the power to exercise their malicious deception that keeps us apart."

Morrissey
14 August 2020.

Update:
Central add some more floral tribute images:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know voodoo , it’s now on the butcher... curse, curse, curse on his front door step, mr best , sometimes it’s best to leave things alone that you have nothing to do with.... are you getting my vibe????

Have a nice day!

It's an oddly worded sentence by any stretch of the imagination. It does seem to be referring to the current pandemic - although it's possible the 'malicious deception' could be death itself? He has alluded on several occasions to Hindu philosophy which views the birth / death cycle as an 'illusion'. But the more probable interpretation is that he simply can't wait for live concerts to be on again so he can feel the love of his fans. Singing on a stage is clearly when he feels most alive.

The malicious deception could be the idea that performers & audiences are separate things?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very touched that in the midst of his grief, Morrissey has reached out to his fans. I also posted on social media when I lost both of my parents close together. Moz was there for me. I am here for him.

Interesting. Or that we are all separate things?

Yes - something like that. It would even tie in with Mamma lay softly on the river bed because the children are going to join her.

(The song blames civil servants & bailiffs for the mother's situation & is also yet another suicide song, but that's a bit alarming to dwell on).

The real odd thing in his post was the reference to her death being “premature.” I understand he’s grieving, but one can hardly call the death of someone who’s 82 or 83 ”premature” in any reasonable sense of the word.

If you truly love a person, you always want him / her to be with you for as long as possible, so death will always be perceived as "premature", coming too early.
We also know very little about the causes and circumstances, so we need to keep an open mind.

Even now - even now - he can't help being Alex Jones with his 'malicious deceptions'. Just stop.

Not the time, you f***. The man is grieving. He's essentially saying he cant wait to see fans again at gigs. He probably thinks lockdowns are excessive or whatever, you don't have to agree with him there, I don't. But who the f*** cares? Take your own god damn advice and JUST. STOP. You are seriously unhealthily obsessed and you need to move on.

🖤🌺🌺🌺
lady flowers.jpg

When my parents died within months of each other social media was my saviour. The love and support I received from people I knew, friends I hadn't met in person and complete strangers was one of the things which got me through.

Morrissey, deepest condolences and all love to you and your family. God bless you all.

I can't work out that end paragraph at all - halls of music & free expression?????
i took it to mean venues opening back up and getting back to his day job.could be wrong.

i took it to mean venues opening back up and getting back to his day job.could be wrong.

yeah - it's tortuous - but I think it means something like - he hopes we stay healthy & that the venues open & never have to close again because we're really the one thing.

He is always saying where we go, he goes & he said this in 2007 about performing - I think it's the only time in my life I feel right. I'm not sure if I even exist off-stage.

As many others have stated, I also think that the last paragraph, though incoherent, aims to express his hope of going back on stage and seeing his "friends" (as he's often called fans in the past) again.

Perhaps it was supposed to be something like this:

"I send you what remains of my love, and I hope that we all survive so that one day, one way, the halls of music (will open again) and free expression (will be possible again) (and whoever is responsible for the current restrictions) will never again hold the power to exercise their malicious deception that keeps us apart."

That's the way I understood it before realising the structure was messed up and the paragraph didn't make sense the way it was written.

It was very nice (and frankly, unexpected) to hear from him and it is comforting to know that he may find a small grain of solace in the gestures of love and appreciation sent by us.

Last edited:
As many others have stated, I also think that the last paragraph, though incoherent, aims to express his hope of going back on stage and seeing his "friends" (as he's often called fans in the past) again.

Perhaps it was supposed to be something like this:

"I send you what remains of my love, and I hope that we all survive so that one day, one way, the halls of music (will open again) and free expression (will be possible again) (and whoever is responsible for the current restrictions) will never again hold the power to exercise their malicious deception that keeps us apart."

That's the way I understood it before realising the structure was messed up and the paragraph didn't make sense the way it was written.

It was very nice (and frankly, unexpected) to hear from him and it is conforting to know that he may find a small grain of solace in the gestures of love and appreciation sent by us.

Yeah - but I still don't think it's about the restrictions though - the obvious target would be the ones around illness & funerals & it's effusive rather than pointed.

But I expect we'll know by Central's updates. At the moment it's flowers & a quote from My Hurling Days Are Done.

Yeah - but I still don't think it's about the restrictions though - the obvious target would be the ones around illness & funerals & it's effusive rather than pointed.

But I expect we'll know by Central's updates. At the moment it's flowers & a quote from My Hurling Days Are Done.

The last paragraph could be a reference to the whole BLM movement, which primarily was a good thing for equality but in some quarters has gone way too far and has sown real divisions between people.

I do believe it is about the restrictions. About the whole messed up situation in general. He's not thinking clearly, he just points at some vague idea of "malicious deception" and I think he's referring to the Covid situation.

I also think that it doesn't really matter what exactly he was trying to say. The important things I took from this post were that he's still thinking about the future and realises that people care - both for Elizabeth and for him.

I do believe it is about the restrictions. About the whole messed up situation in general. He's not thinking clearly, he just points at some vague idea of "malicious deception" and I think he's referring to the Covid situation.

I also think that it doesn't really matter what exactly he was trying to say. The important things I took from this post were that he's still thinking about the future and realises that people care - both for Elizabeth and for him.

it's the 'their' rather than 'this' that makes me think it's something more metaphorical - but, like you say, he's not thinking clearly.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom