Low In High School: What do you think of it?

I nominate “See the effects of sexual neglect” in Jacky as one of the best lines, especially with the way it’s constructed melodically. As a survivor of ten years of sexual neglect, that spoke to me because the effects on one’s sanity are palpable.

Yeah, I agree. Particularly with My Love and I Wish You Lonely. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's no good lines. There's no line that jumps out at me though, and makes me think "wow, that's brilliant". Which is unusual for a new Morrissey album. Perhaps it's because he's set the bar so high.

There's a lot of duff lines in there that grate, however. The repetition of "that's not the job I loved", "Venezuela" etc. I really hate the line "presidents come, presidents go, and nobody remembers their name two weeks after they go." Ehm, yes they do...

Some people do remember presidents but many couldn’t name a great many of them and a lot of them only know a name and not a damn thing they did. Reagan in the u.s for example gets named a lot but most don’t know hardly anything about his administration. Also while it might not be the most poetic line it’s sentiment is meaningful as I think it’s saying that the effects of president and things outside of your control will change and change again and that sometimes the most important things and the most long lasting is to look after yourself. I don’t particularly enjoy the way he sings the line but then comes the chorus and all is forgiven. I really disliked the vocal to wwpuftp and the lyrics were some of my least fav on the album

His band is playing grandfather rock. Boring! No originality. Get a new band Morrissey.
The lyrics are lazy and cringe worthy by Morrissey standards. It has been going downhill for a while now.
This album is rehashed vocal melodies of old through and throughout. Home Is A Question Mark uses the same melody from Lost.

Many of us have been listening for the best part of two days now and one thing is patently clear, this album is undoubtedly divisive.
Even some of his most loyal, life-long fans are struggling to defend some of the material on offer.
That cannot possibly be a good thing, it can only mean that at the very least some of it is simply not very good, never mind relative to past glories, just not enjoyable in its own right.
I personally happen to like about 50% of the album, and I can't say any of the remaining songs have got any better since first listen, with one possible exception.

Then of course we will always have the deaf, the dumb and the partially blind, who just so happen to believe that this album is the best thing since slice bread.
All of it, from the very first note to the last. Genius.

Many of us have been listening for the best part of two days now and one thing is patently clear, this album is undoubtedly divisive.
Even some of his most loyal, life-long fans are struggling to defend some of the material on offer.
That cannot possibly be a good thing, it can only mean that at the very least some of it is simply not very good, never mind relative to past glories, just not enjoyable in its own right.
I personally happen to like about 50% of the album, and I can't say any of the remaining songs have got any better since first listen, with one possible exception.

Then of course we will always have the deaf, the dumb and the partially blind, who just so happen to believe that this album is the best thing since slice bread.

Yes. Maybe. Probably.
But.
Considering music, after Wagners Tristan und Isolde - nothing is perfect/genius anyway.
But new Morrissey LP is much more interesting than current Bono, Cave, Brett, The National, Arcade Fire...

Spot on! Album starts of well, but really gets bad after the first few songs. Some of the lyrics are like Morrissey singing the ideas for a song rather than actual lyrics. Known for smart lyrics, very disappointing. The music is blasé at best.

Yes. Maybe. Probably.
But.
Considering music, after Wagners Tristan und Isolde - nothing is perfect/genius anyway.
But new Morrissey LP is much more interesting than current Bono, Cave, Brett, The National, Arcade Fire...

Wrong!

Nick Cave's last 3 albums are way ahead of Morrissey's last 4....easily!

Wrong!

Nick Cave's last 3 albums are way ahead of Morrissey's last 4....easily!
Dear AnonIP Hash: 19da9eb441,
Cave albums are total vacuum, since departure of Mister M. Harvey.
Also, he as person is ghastly: hair transplant (born 1957) during deep crisis of his young son. Ghastly.

Dear AnonIP Hash: 19da9eb441,
Cave albums are total vacuum, since departure of Mister M. Harvey.
Also, he as person is ghastly: hair transplant (born 1957) during deep crisis of his young son. Ghastly.
Hair transplants are ghastly. Yes?
fpbc46.jpg

Back
Top Bottom