"Low In High School" reviews (Louder Than War, Metro, The List, Spiegel Online)

‘Low in High School’ in-depth review by Fergal Kinney - Louder Than War. Link posted by fergal_41 (original post).

Music reviews: Bigmouth flops again (2 of 5 stars) - Metro. Link posted by an anonymous original (original post).

"Low In High School" review by David Pollock (3 of 5 stars) - The List. Link posted by an anonymous person (original post).

"Low In High School" review by Andreas Borcholtes (6.5 / 10) - Spiegel Online (German). Link posted by an anonymous person (original post).

Related item:

"unrewardingly hard going" - You know, where was THIS IDIOT back in the dark days ?

Make your own mind up. As you will.

Enjoy The Tour !

Hazard
x

First one says double vinyl?

Morrissey’s ‘Low in High School’: a boy and his dogma by Terence Cawley - Boston Globe

".... “Low in High School” might be the most explicitly topical album Morrissey’s ever made, and while that isn’t exactly welcome news for most listeners, his evident passion for the subject matter has him sounding more inspired than he has in quite a while......

....It’s enough to make you wish that the old crank would stop trying so hard to say something important and let himself be this relaxed for the length of a whole album (a fun Morrissey album — can you imagine?). Until then, we have “Low in High School,” which is sometimes brilliant, sometimes infuriating, and 100 percent Morrissey."

Morrissey – Low in High School: The Smiths' frontman returns with an 11th solo album that's by turns overwrought and underdeveloped (2 stars) by Lewis Wade - The Skinny

"Morrissey's 11th album arrives as patience with the man himself wears thin. While he's always been, to put it mildly, a divisive figure, the scales seem to now be tipping out of favour with the former Smiths man....However, Morrissey is usually forgiven (or at least tolerated) thanks to a steady flow of solid, though not impeccable, solo releases and the seemingly endless fountain of goodwill still left over from his Smiths days. His latest album, Low in High School, does little to replenish the well of empathy as it meanders lazily through topical material (the army, the police, Israel, etc) with typically caustic indifference."

Last edited:
Morrissey’s 11th solo LP is assured, salacious and not without problems by Michael James Hall (7 out of 10) - Line of Best Fit

"...Morrissey’s voice is at times remarkable here; his sense of melody finely tuned but more inclined to passing moments of beauty than the broad sweep of hits like “Suedehead” or “Irish Blood, English Heart”; the ingenuity of his band and producer is exceptional; there is an intellect and an intuitiveness to almost the whole record that resonates more and more deeply with each listen. While there are certainly moments where seemingly incomprehensible lyrical and thematic choices are made, there are many more where there’s a sense of communion and comradeship...."

I guess Norman Records didn't like it then...

https://www.normanrecords.com/recor...vtCh3r7QViEAQYAiABEgIhg_D_BwE#reviews_content

"Following his gruesome comments regarding UKIP's leadership contest, I re-read Morrissey's 2013 autobiography - a book which perfectly mirrors his musical career. It begins as a fascinatingly literate, darkly comic tomb full of kitchen sink dramas, it ends a bloated, deluded, endless gripe about chart positions and perceived injustices. Rarely has a former hero gone down in my estimation. Most people just get steadily less interesting over the years. Morrissey, however has metamorphosized, from hero to twat in front our very eyes.

Talking about Morrissey's music these days is a little like discussing Nigel Farage's oratory skills. It doesn't really matter how it's presented, there's something so terribly unsavoury behind it that not even his long learned skills can save it. His previous record 'World Peace Is None of Your Business' had it's moments, particularly when Morrissey gave up the meat and potatoes chug he's been content to peddle for the last 20 or so years to delve into subtly created torch songs. But as usual Morrissey fell out with his label, blaming all and sundry for the records failure without having the humility to acknowledge that he himself...you know... might be part of the problem.

'Low In High School' is even worse than Morrissey's most leaden moments, it's resolutely awful throughout. A ham fisted slog through a series of listless compositions that take the Smiths blueprint and hammer it into the grave. Guitars are played with boxing gloves, horns are added lasciviously, sweeping strings are plonked on top in a desperate attempt at emotion. It's full of utter tripe - 'Home Is a Question Mark' is like 'I Know It's Over' played by Embrace, opener 'My Love, I'd Do Anything For You' is performed as if by a herd of oxen and single 'Spent the Day In Bed' is as smug as any Piers Morgan thought piece. Overleaf 'The Girl From Tel Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel' is a hopeless piano led Flamenco ditty and 'All The Young People Must Fall In Love' is a sub Sweet tuneless, vapid nothing of a song. Over it all the familiar whinny of a man with so little left to say that his only hope of piquing interest is acting like some kind of Daily Mail columnist.

Again Morrissey will point the finger of blame for this records failure at everyone but himself. Publicists, record companies, the press, the fickle public will all get it in the neck. But only one person is to blame - the man who once claimed ludicrously that his success was all down to himself with no help from others. Morrissey - it's you. You are a fool man. Move on, everyone... move on."

I guess Norman Records didn't like it then...

https://www.normanrecords.com/recor...vtCh3r7QViEAQYAiABEgIhg_D_BwE#reviews_content

"Following his gruesome comments regarding UKIP's leadership contest, I re-read Morrissey's 2013 autobiography - a book which perfectly mirrors his musical career. It begins as a fascinatingly literate, darkly comic tomb full of kitchen sink dramas, it ends a bloated, deluded, endless gripe about chart positions and perceived injustices. Rarely has a former hero gone down in my estimation. Most people just get steadily less interesting over the years. Morrissey, however has metamorphosized, from hero to twat in front our very eyes.

Talking about Morrissey's music these days is a little like discussing Nigel Farage's oratory skills. It doesn't really matter how it's presented, there's something so terribly unsavoury behind it that not even his long learned skills can save it. His previous record 'World Peace Is None of Your Business' had it's moments, particularly when Morrissey gave up the meat and potatoes chug he's been content to peddle for the last 20 or so years to delve into subtly created torch songs. But as usual Morrissey fell out with his label, blaming all and sundry for the records failure without having the humility to acknowledge that he himself...you know... might be part of the problem.

'Low In High School' is even worse than Morrissey's most leaden moments, it's resolutely awful throughout. A ham fisted slog through a series of listless compositions that take the Smiths blueprint and hammer it into the grave. Guitars are played with boxing gloves, horns are added lasciviously, sweeping strings are plonked on top in a desperate attempt at emotion. It's full of utter tripe - 'Home Is a Question Mark' is like 'I Know It's Over' played by Embrace, opener 'My Love, I'd Do Anything For You' is performed as if by a herd of oxen and single 'Spent the Day In Bed' is as smug as any Piers Morgan thought piece. Overleaf 'The Girl From Tel Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel' is a hopeless piano led Flamenco ditty and 'All The Young People Must Fall In Love' is a sub Sweet tuneless, vapid nothing of a song. Over it all the familiar whinny of a man with so little left to say that his only hope of piquing interest is acting like some kind of Daily Mail columnist.

Again Morrissey will point the finger of blame for this records failure at everyone but himself. Publicists, record companies, the press, the fickle public will all get it in the neck. But only one person is to blame - the man who once claimed ludicrously that his success was all down to himself with no help from others. Morrissey - it's you. You are a fool man. Move on, everyone... move on."

It took a small boy at the side of the road to say that the Emperor was naked.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom