"Low In High School" reviews (first on French site Gonzaï)

Chronique non autorisée du « Low In High School » de Morrissey - Gonzaï

It's in French, and Google gives a ropey translation. The last paragraph seems to suggest it's either a spoof, or one member of staff has a copy of the album. Any French speakers able to help?

Reviews will be added to this post as they come in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean AN honest, happy hYpocrite? :p:p

Yes, sorry for ruining your language.
I have taken notice.
I really do try to be as punctual as I can.
The auto correct system of my tablet is not helping me but making things worse.
Thanks, I really appreciate it to be corrected. :thumb:

Yes, sorry for ruining your language.
I have taken notice.
I really do try to be as punctual as I can.
The auto correct system of my tablet is not helping me but making things worse.
Thanks, I really appreciate it to be corrected. :thumb:

Haha, 'twas but a joking jab in the ribs - you had after all declared yourself carefree! ;)

Gonzaï said:
Note à l’attention du label français : le service juridique de Gonzaï déclinera toute responsabilité pénale en cas de poursuite par le label français pour la publication anticipée de cette chronique fictive, et invoquera les dons de medium du chroniqueur (ou la démence) quant à l’écoute de ce « Low In High-School » qui n’a pas été envoyé à la rédaction. Bisou.

OK, translated in my best schoolgirl English using my best schoolgirl knowledge of French:

"Note to the French [department of Morrissey's] record company: the legal department of Gonzaï denies all responsibility in case of legal action by the French label for the advance publication of this fictitious chronicle and refers to the gifts as a medium of the chronicler (or the lack thereof) with regard to this [record] "Low in High-School" which has not been sent to the editorial staff. Big kiss."

Seems to be a tongue-in-cheek disclaimer to deny any knowledge of LIHS and at the same time admit they have heard it...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, but no more reviews for me until I have listened the full album. They cause me too much anxiety. Even more when I don't agree with some of those people's reviews of released tracks. One month seems a lot of time...
Oh you're so right. I'm having a hard time avoiding the new Star Wars trailer. I'm thinking of wearing a wheelie bin the next time I go to the cinema (Blade Runner Tues night).

Yeah I liked that too, for the fist few listens. Then I just got bored ;)
I could not agree with you more on that. Morrissey did cut it on I'm not a man....I like the imagery you were able to conceive upon listening to the intro...
Conceiving your own imagery? That blank 1 minute at start of I'm Not A Manc is the equivalent of those tosser bands who get the bloody audience to sing their songs. Twat heaven. Me, I prefer to live in limbo.

that review is incredibly cruel... this guy don't like anything : all is cheap (cheap jacket, cheap mastering in France : of course sorry, etc.) but at least... he likes almost 2 or 3 songs maybe 4 (hypocrite !!) and very important : he don't like the "MEXICAN touch" because it's obvious, Moz want to please his mexican audience... WTF ??
you can not take seriously this kind of bullshit !
I think he wanted an album written and composed in 80s with a producer from 80s...
and I forgot, lyrics of "Spent the day in bed" are so naïve...
sorry for my bad english but this review is just wicked and was drafted in a typical ironic french style.

Conceiving your own imagery? That blank 1 minute at start of I'm Not A Manc is the equivalent of those tosser bands who get the bloody audience to sing their songs. Twat heaven. Me, I prefer to live in limbo.

Yes, enabling to conceive imageries as a response to sound stimulation is exactly what the intro to I'm Not a Man did to many fans, me included.

I think of a large industrial facility building in ruins after a nuclear war, with some machinery still working while surviving workers wander in rags in search of food, all men.

Yes, enabling to conceive imageries as a response to sound stimulation is exactly what the intro to I'm Not a Man did to many fans, me included.

I think of a large industrial facility building in ruins after a nuclear war, with some machinery still working while surviving workers wander in rags in search of food, all men.
I like it. Reminds me a little bit of the new Blade Runner movie.

From depeche-mode.com poster Eldritch

It's a very curious album. The first five tracks we know now and they all sound much better on the record, bigger and bolder, especially I Wish You Lonely. Jackie Is Only Happy is much improved too and the refrain "exit, exit, exit" makes more change on the recorded version as the end fades into white noise. And Home Is A Question Mark is just lovely. But then it gets very odd.

The centrepiece, the epic I Bury The Living, is not only anti-war and anti-military but also anti-soldier with lyrics like "Don't blame me, I'm just a sweet little soldier" and "Give me an order and I blow up the border / Give me an order and I blow up your daughter" and "hatred of humanity". Since I have had relatives killed in the Second World War and have served in the military myself, I don't think it's really proper to suggest that soldiers enjoy fighting wars. The music is good though.

In Your Lap however is a rather tuneless piano-led plodder, in which Morrissey lists world events and wars only to say that he wants to put his face in your lap instead. The Girl From Tel Aviv sounds like a chanson -- the rhythm might be from polonaise -- from a post-war era as Moz lists the troubles of being in independent Arab woman. (Yes, I said that this is an odd record)

Who Will Protect Us From The Police is a rockier song but low on melody too. Thankfully it's about Venezuela and not about Italian traffic cops, but still.

Israel starts "If you're feeling happy / Jesus will send you to hell" and continues in that fashion cursing the Christian faith in making us feel ashamed about sexuality, happiness and freedom. The six-minute tune is backed with ominous pianos, sound effects and faintly Arabic flavours. It's rather beautiful and sounds like it's about to burst into something really beautiful, but somehow never does.

So it's a mixed bag, but no other pop artist really has the nerve to even try to pull off something like this. Let's hope he won't fall out with the record company this time, so this won't be his swan song.

Edit: And it needs saying once again, that he really needs better co-writers. But it's a pipe dream, if anything.

From depeche-mode.com poster Eldritch

It's a very curious album. The first five tracks we know now and they all sound much better on the record, bigger and bolder, especially I Wish You Lonely. Jackie Is Only Happy is much improved too and the refrain "exit, exit, exit" makes more change on the recorded version as the end fades into white noise. And Home Is A Question Mark is just lovely. But then it gets very odd.

The centrepiece, the epic I Bury The Living, is not only anti-war and anti-military but also anti-soldier with lyrics like "Don't blame me, I'm just a sweet little soldier" and "Give me an order and I blow up the border / Give me an order and I blow up your daughter" and "hatred of humanity". Since I have had relatives killed in the Second World War and have served in the military myself, I don't think it's really proper to suggest that soldiers enjoy fighting wars. The music is good though.

In Your Lap however is a rather tuneless piano-led plodder, in which Morrissey lists world events and wars only to say that he wants to put his face in your lap instead. The Girl From Tel Aviv sounds like a chanson -- the rhythm might be from polonaise -- from a post-war era as Moz lists the troubles of being in independent Arab woman. (Yes, I said that this is an odd record)

Who Will Protect Us From The Police is a rockier song but low on melody too. Thankfully it's about Venezuela and not about Italian traffic cops, but still.

Israel starts "If you're feeling happy / Jesus will send you to hell" and continues in that fashion cursing the Christian faith in making us feel ashamed about sexuality, happiness and freedom. The six-minute tune is backed with ominous pianos, sound effects and faintly Arabic flavours. It's rather beautiful and sounds like it's about to burst into something really beautiful, but somehow never does.

So it's a mixed bag, but no other pop artist really has the nerve to even try to pull off something like this. Let's hope he won't fall out with the record company this time, so this won't be his swan song.

Edit: And it needs saying once again, that he really needs better co-writers. But it's a pipe dream, if anything.

Thanks for sharing but this is the same review as the one a few pages back.

Oh you're so right. I'm having a hard time avoiding the new Star Wars trailer. I'm thinking of wearing a wheelie bin the next time I go to the cinema (Blade Runner Tues night).

What do you think about Blade Runner?

What do you think about Blade Runner?
I went to see it twice. Once on my own, and another night I had to go to keep some friends happy. I liked it. It was a very long film and they could have shaved 30 minutes from it. I thought the story was good, the action was excellent, and it captured the vibe of the original film. I loved the music, even though I'm not sure you could actually call it music. My two gripes would be: too slow in places, and a little more action would have injected more life into it. I'll definitely be buying it on bluray at some point.
I don't think it is fairing too well in cinemas, possibly because people expected a fast moving action fest set in the future. Did you like it?

I went to see it twice. Once on my own, and another night I had to go to keep some friends happy. I liked it. It was a very long film and they could have shaved 30 minutes from it. I thought the story was good, the action was excellent, and it captured the vibe of the original film. I loved the music, even though I'm not sure you could actually call it music. My two gripes would be: too slow in places, and a little more action would have injected more life into it. I'll definitely be buying it on bluray at some point.
I don't think it is fairing too well in cinemas, possibly because people expected a fast moving action fest set in the future. Did you like it?

I didn't see it yet. I'll tell you :)

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom