"Low In High School" drops from #20 to out of the US Billboard 200 chart in second week

Last edited:

REGARDLESS OF CHART POSITIONS, LIHS IS AN AMAZING ALBUM, AND NOTHING WILL CHANGE THAT FACT FOR THOSE THAT HEAR IT.

I really rate the Moz.
I believe a collaborator who could tell him where to get off would help.

I don't know if he needs someone to tell him where to 'get off'. But I get off every time I push play and listen to LIHS.

;)

REGARDLESS OF CHART POSITIONS, LIHS IS AN AMAZING ALBUM, AND NOTHING WILL CHANGE THAT FACT FOR THOSE THAT HEAR IT.

NOBODY needs your inflated fonts and all-cap nonsense to know that you’re a deaf person sucking at the dry teat, li’l shooter.

The only thing that might be better than Low In High School this year is the new Alan Vega (which probably had no chart position). Both are still classics though.

Hi Anon,
Actually I wrote consential (as in consenting adults) but I liked your explanation.
So, when you typed “consential”, you meant “consensual”. Fair enough. I’ll take a -1 for reading too quickly.

If I’m gonna be “sanctimonious” about language, I need to keep up my end. Cheers! ;)

Look, I have been a huge critic of Morrissey both musically, and politically, but I can't say that either of the past two album are bad, or anywhere near terrible.

I thought Istanbul was Morrissey's best single since Irish Blood, English Heart, and in my mind it's one of his best songs in the past thirteen years, and certainly one of his best ever.

I enjoyed the production on both albums. I think Low In High-school is a good album that I have little interest in listening to over, and over again.

I believe there are two factors at play when rating Morrissey's later work. Many who have aged, and have shifted into a different emotional state. Little is new anymore. They've been through the feelings, and maybe they're embarrassed by some of them now, but they still appreciate the past highs of when they could fully relate to Morrissey's world-view, and they could ignore the surrounding nonsense that has often followed Morrissey throughout his career.

The other factor at work is, Morrissey's world view has become more flippant, and clumsy, while his sense of humor seems to be vanishing like the brain matter of a dementia patient. There's nothing to counter the juvenile bluntness anymore. The best we got was him dancing like a kid in the elevator; which honestly had me pulling for him again.

I think it was Oscar Wilde who said, "When telling people the truth, make them laugh, or they'll kill you."

Morrissey's not making us laugh anymore, which makes his work seem much more vacant than it should be. Is there a drop of humor on LIHS? The humor placed next to the murderous intent is one of the things that made Morrissey interesting. When the humor goes, you just have a disgruntled man calling for everything to end along with him. It all sounds too serious, and agenda driven.

It's not that he has views contrary to mine, it's that he states them in ways that sound cavalier, and unintelligent. He seems to not possess any interest in nuance.

Music is about emotions, and when those emotions are colored by comments within, and outside of the songs, it becomes much more difficult to connect with whatever an artist is offering you. Your guard is up, and you require more courting than you did in the past.

ive been not really wanting to jump all over the new album, but here's my 2 cents. its a very,very weak album. you know an artist is in trouble when in many of the songs, the opening line is the title of the song . deeply in trouble when the second line is also the title. moz of late has been out of steam, and there is way too much repetition used to fill out lousy songs. forgivable when the line is brilliant, but how many brilliant lines have been on the last 2 records? im thinking none.

i am 1 month apart from morrissey in age. where is the moz that taught me to understand other people pain, to realize we are not all the same, to open up myself to my own feelings? now he sounds the opposite, an old, bitter scold with zero wit.

i skipped the NYC gig, because of the heavy use of songs from the last 2 albums, and i haven missed a gig in 20 years. i heard the tape, he sounds great, but those songs just suck so bad. take away the last 2 records, leave me the rest, and ive died and gone to heaven. the last 2 have been hell.

I’ve been listening to the man for over 20 years and his music writing has become stagnant and lazy where before he would write with wit and irony and a catchy rhyme we have none of that anymore, and the people around here get all pissed because what we tell them is true. Well guess what people the truth hurts. From the swords album on down has been nothing but lazy and terrible songs these supposed A songs he’s putting out now wouldn’t even be B songs to any of his A sides back in the 90s the would be on the unreleased and scrapped and left on the cutting room floor.

Last edited:
what ?! but I posted it just for you and no one else! :love:

Excellent work, LEMF. Keep up the good fight. You’re on a fast-track to the special Alcatraz gig! Although he won’t show, you’ll be able to spout, pridefully - despite stinging winds, through your Animal Rights Militia t-shirt...

“I was THERE!”. ;)

LIHS is, as I wrote a few times an OK album, but Morrissey released lots who are better, but as some say, it's great album comparing what is in the commercial charts The problem IMHO is Jesse and Boz can't make a good/great track to compose further in the studio, Gustavo was and is the one who gave inspirition...and I mean the bandmembers inspirition is used and close to can't make anything better than they've done.

I wish Morrissey deserves a better and much greater apreciation as past month, He has mine...

Is there a drop of humor on LIHS? The humor placed next to the murderous intent is one of the things that made Morrissey interesting. When the humor goes, you just have a disgruntled man calling for everything to end along with him. It all sounds too serious, and agenda driven.

It's not that he has views contrary to mine, it's that he states them in ways that sound cavalier, and unintelligent. He seems to not possess any interest in nuance.

A very good post, most of I agree with. But I do think there is some humour on LIHS. Despite that chorus about not watching the news, Spent The Day In Bed is a song with many funny lines ("I'm not my type") -- it's no coincidence that it has got more airplay than any Morrissey song in yonks. Since I take Jacky to be a self-deprecating song, I also find that quite droll, Morrissey making fun of himself. And the line "wrap your legs around my face" in the epic conclusion to Home Is A Question Mark is also so jarring that it's meant to be funny.

But yes, the political songs are empty of wit, nuance, insight -- and humour too. And that opening couplet about media echelons is a terrible to way a start and otherwise a strong song.

So, when you typed “consential”, you meant “consensual”. Fair enough. I’ll take a -1 for reading too quickly.

If I’m gonna be “sanctimonious” about language, I need to keep up my end. Cheers! ;)
' consensual' Christ I cannot spell for toffee.

A very good post, most of I agree with. But I do think there is some humour on LIHS. Despite that chorus about not watching the news, Spent The Day In Bed is a song with many funny lines ("I'm not my type") -- it's no coincidence that it has got more airplay than any Morrissey song in yonks. Since I take Jacky to be a self-deprecating song, I also find that quite droll, Morrissey making fun of himself. And the line "wrap your legs around my face" in the epic conclusion to Home Is A Question Mark is also so jarring that it's meant to be funny.

But yes, the political songs are empty of wit, nuance, insight -- and humour too. And that opening couplet about media echelons is a terrible to way a start and otherwise a strong song.

^^^^this^^^^

Also theres a line in I Bury the Living (I have listened to the album 6 times now, guess what - it's still shit after Spent The Day in Bed) and The do you say what you feel line which raise a weak smile but the killer lines used to happen twice or thrice in every song. Now we are reduced to, at a push, five an album.

Last edited:
you know an artist is in trouble when in many of the songs, the opening line is the title of the song

Really?

Hand In Glove, Well I Wonder, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, Frankly Mr Shankly, Panic, Death of a Disco Dancer, Girlfriend In A Coma, Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, I Won't Share You, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful, You're The One For Me Fatty, Tomorrow, The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get, Trouble Loves Me, Irish Blood English Heart...

I'm not sure I can entirely buy into that theory.

If you don’t like it just remove yourself, just because you have fans that don’t agree what Morrissey is doing musically or doing with his career. Sorry as a fan I don’t hang off every word he says like a brainwashed moron.
WTF does your username even mean? Do you log on to other music sites with similar usernames reminding people of the artist's age?

Really?

Hand In Glove, Well I Wonder, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, Frankly Mr Shankly, Panic, Death of a Disco Dancer, Girlfriend In A Coma, Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, I Won't Share You, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful, You're The One For Me Fatty, Tomorrow, The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get, Trouble Loves Me, Irish Blood English Heart...

I'm not sure I can entirely buy into that theory.
The effort you put in to point out peoples' stupidity is admirable. Thanks for the work because I couldn't be bothered for damn sure.

Does anyone have the chart stats for World Peace in the USA? The new Billboard rules are obnoxious. So in normal times the album dropped 20 to 74. Being I wasn't following his career in 2014 I don't know if that's routine. I'm not exactly shocked. U.S. culture has always been too dull and shallow to appreciate Moz. Like Ketamine said it's a great album no matter how it charts.

WTF does your username even mean? Do you log on to other music sites with similar usernames reminding people of the artist's age?

It means he is old and tired and he should retire with grace and save what ever is left of his legacy and legendary status.

I’ve been listening to the man for over 20 years and his music writing has become stagnant and lazy where before he would write with wit and irony and a catchy rhyme we have none of that anymore, and the people around here get all pissed because what we tell them is true. Well guess what people the truth hurts. From the swords album on down has been nothing but lazy and terrible songs these supposed A songs he’s putting out now wouldn’t even be B songs to any of his A sides back in the 90s the would be on the unreleased and scrapped and left on the cutting room floor.
He is 58. You can't expect him to be the same gloriously brilliant 25 year old lad he once was.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom