"Low In High School" album cover posted by Linder on Instagram

Linder just posted what seems to be the cover of the new album! Nothing you wouldn't have expected from Morrissey, to be quite honest...

UPDATE 3:30 PM PT:
Image has been removed from Linder's Instagram.

40695_low_in_high_school_sleeve.jpg

Also posted in the comments by Bluebirds:

According to a FB post by James Maker which shows said cover (Follow-up posted by Famous when dead: "James Maker has since clarified the issue - HMV is the problem"):

I publish this in support of a friend, and in the cause of democracy. Trade and Retail* have informed BMG that they will refuse to handle Morrissey's new album, 'Low in High School' on the grounds that the sleeve art is "offensive". Thus, the entire campaign is in jeopardy unless Morrissey and his record company rethink the album cover. x

(* The HMV chain refuse to stock it.)

Link posted by Famous when dead:

Posted by unloveable:

Btw that is Mando Lopez son...

And by Famous when dead:

...Indeed, Max Lopez who lives in East L.A.
He was also present in Italy during recording of the album.

Posted by an anonymous person:

The photograph is by Tony Molina. The musician?

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
At least there's no clone stamps ;)
Not sure what 'campaign' James is referring to - one announcement and utter silence thereafter isn't exactly the same as a fully pre-planned marketing strategy - something a new label should be overseeing. I won't jump on the cynicism bandwagon yet - so, no, I don't believe this is a marketing exercise without more info - something that will not be forthcoming anyway.
It's not too hard to figure out the issue is corporate retailers. Independent record shops wouldn't give a monkey's about stocking it with any cover.
I can remember the furore in '77 with God Save The Queen - that provoked a huge response. This cover, however, is just being micro-policed by the snowflakes. The average facebook comments section regarding a royal story is far more incendiary than that cover.
Will make a nice collectors item if ditched.
Assuming there's a European warehouse somewhere to pillage... :)
Sigh - and so it begins.
FWD.

Last edited:
I predict that if the album art does need to be changed, then Moz and BMG are thinking that if they release the controversial cover and it'll cause a bit of a stir and get some press interest. They'll end up changing it but it will still gather some attention for the album.

Comparing this to ANY Smiths release, and most Morrissey releases (besides the original 'Maladjusted'), it looks far too obvious and 'glossy'. The young boy on the cover is not the problem, but the 'Axe the royals' seems far too obvious for me

Im so unrelated to monarchy -- this Is 2017- have never understood why the British, Danish , Spanish , Norwegian people would still have a " queen " "king" but offensive cover ?
Jesus Christ ...
Offensive is poverty and corruption Jesus Christ can't believe My eyes grrrrrrr!!!

I predict that if the album art does need to be changed, then Moz and BMG are thinking that if they release the controversial cover and it'll cause a bit of a stir and get some press interest. They'll end up changing it but it will still gather some attention for the album.

Exactly this.

Yup, that axe looks very frightening too me. :( Not.
I've seen more realistic looking examples in the Toys For Us shops.
It must be the text.
Well, I guess Sam can do a quick photo-shop of another earthshaking subject.:squiffy:

This is arte povera as it is a photo montage and this kid looks at the camera with empty eyes. There is not any threat or sense of danger that comes from this image. The reason is simple: we know it is fake.
Had it been a real stand up, a picture of a real anti-monarchist teenager captured in front of the gates of a castle of the queen while doing a happening, being in danger, at the point of being arrested for troubles on the streets, one would feel an inner force when looking at it. But the whole thing is flat, and very shallow.
Compare this to the sleeve and The World Won't Listen, and see what I mean... This is not a work of art; this is a very indigent sleeve project

This cover is a bit subtle for my tastes. I'm surprised they didn't get Lil' Sammy to do a photomontage of Morrissey punching the Queen in the ovaries (or is that inside the gatefold?)

Comparing this to ANY Smiths release, and most Morrissey releases (besides the original 'Maladjusted'), it looks far too obvious and 'glossy'. The young boy on the cover is not the problem, but the 'Axe the royals' seems far too obvious for me

The problem for me is the "Axe The Monarchy" spells out the subtext of the picture. It would be akin to having something like "I'm gunning for new fans" on the cover of Quarry. The royal angle feels shoehorned in here too; I'd have preferred something a bit more subtle that better suited the album title. But still, a new album is on the way...

Btw that is Mando Lopez son , he's a cutie but cmon
Indeed, Max Lopez who lives in East L.A.
He was also present in Italy during recording of the album.
Regards,
FWD.

My heart cries out for all those LA kids who are oppressed by the British monarchy. What a living hell it must be. Thank God Morrissey is speaking out against it.

this seems about right.

who has sleeve art finalised 2 months ahead of release date?

í would hazard that it's a taser..sorry, teaser..to get some column inches, or the digital equivalent, in the run-up to maida vale, 'boutique' marketing campaign , etc.
and yes, we have seen this before; promoting genuine, passionate anti-royalist beliefs and using said beliefs to promote your work/sell records are not mutually exclusive stances.
Shock News ~ people in the music business, including artists, are in the music business in order to make money. People who are ONLY in it to make money are the ones to be wary of. You can make money and make art; it's not a sin.

Morrissey wanted to make money when he came up with 'The Queen is Dead' as a title.
The fact that THIRTY years on this country is even more in thrall to these in-bred half-german clowns and one still cannot suggest an alternative without criticism (or alleged suppression) is just one more insane thing of many in 2017.

oh, and the kid is a cutie-pie. i was being sarcastic, or something akin.

James Maker has since clarified the issue - HMV is the problem:

20170910_160852.png

A bit of revenge over his recent criticism of them perhaps?
Regards,
FWD.
(his ammendment now shows in the Facebook link).

Of course they had to make the cover worse than any of my inventions. Looks like a bad photoshop job to me.

Tags
album cover linder low in high school low in high school info new album

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom