Louder Than War: IANADOAC review - 9 out of 10

IMG_20200220_180707.png

Updated with source of image (JC).
Text is very small, so transcribed it - punctuation (give or take some eye strain) as per the writer.
Regards,
FWD.

Transcribed by myself:

"He who cannot be mentioned is releasing an album. No, not Laurence Fox but Steven Patrick Morrissey, but he'd likely be as controversial on Question Time. If you hadn't noticed, he's a bit of a pariah around these parts. Banished by townsfolk to his LA apartment to think seriously about what he's done and consider before he speaks.
Like that will ever happen. He is a law unto himself and always has been. The dame is not for turning. Well except musically perhaps. Because this, his 13th album (unlucky for some) is quite the left turn.
Dear reader, this writer genuinely believed he'd pressed play on the wrong album because it arrived with a scatter gun synthetic drum beat and keyboard like an early Prodigy record but then in comes that oh so recognisable baritone on 'Jim Jim Falls'. As has become de rigueur, you could take his lyrics about suicide literally however he's never written solely from his own perspective. 'Love Is On Its Way Out' is a little more traditional latter Moz fare, naturally he talks about his favourite subject, animals, and in this case big game trophy hunting.
Lead single 'Bobby, Don't You Think They Know' with co-lead vocals from Mowtown legend Thelma Houston, is a little bloated but has gospel Charlatans-esque organ, roaring guitars and saxaphone.
The title track is perhaps the best thing on it, a sprawling effort, it begins with a verse that you can imagine being a musical number, the protagonist imploring that he's not a dog on a chain and he has his own brain.
Closing track 'My Hurling Days Are Done' harks back to The Smiths lyrical style, as does much of the record, sometimes abstract or metaphorical but with wit and sardonic forked tongue.
Looks can be deceiving but it would appear that Morrissey has gone full circle and returned to the point where his solo career was born, right in the middle of the electropop boom of the mid to late 80's.
The likelihood is that most people won't listen to this record on its merits and there are many, arguably his strongest collection in years. His voice is at its peerless best on his most interesting and diverse songs, possibly ever. Regardless of what you think about him, unless you're steeped in "cancel" culture, give this LP a go.
It will surprise you."

James Auton - Louder Than War.

Last edited:
Interesting that the author refers to the beginning of Morrissey solo career, in the middle of the electropop bonanza. And who was in the middle of that electropop boom? His former band mate Johnny Marr with his Electronic project. To be honest, it was very hard to imagine Morrissey taking up that musical style in 1988. And I don't think I would have liked it then.

Well, I've quite enjoyed all three songs so far... have tickets to Cruel World, so hopefully Moz plays a few new ones to piss off the masses there to hear Smiths tunes and Suedehead.

Seems like another review that plainly states if you can remove your view of Morrissey, based on his beliefs, then it's a good record.

Bit of wishful thinking there.

LOL :laughing:

FAKE NEWS/FAKE REVIEW

Trust me. If this release was any good BMG would not be showing him the door.

The next effort (if there is one) will have to be crowd funded by the cult.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Well, I've quite enjoyed all three songs so far... have tickets to Cruel World, so hopefully Moz plays a few new ones to piss off the masses there to hear Smiths tunes and Suedehead.

If that's what he does, there will be people leaving in droves. That's what the LA crowd does, as you know, when they get bored they leave early to "beat the traffic".

Strange the journalist thinks his solo career was born in the mid to late eighties. Morrissey was busy in the mid eighties with another project he may have heard of. As hard as these "journalists" try they always seem to get something wrong that they could've easily gotten right. Is he not familiar with the year Nineteen Eighty Hate?

Last edited:
They did withstand the social pressure! I knew they wanted to like him again.

LOL :laughing:

FAKE NEWS/FAKE REVIEW

Trust me. If this release was any good BMG would not be showing him the door.

The next effort (if there is one) will have to be crowd funded by the cult.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
Must be super awesome to be a tosser but you pass with flying colours

Great review!! Super positive. I really, really cannot wait to hear for myself!!!

I'm enjoying all the Morrissey related good news (for a change), I hope he is too.;)

I have always loved electronic pop and later on house and techno, so I'm glad that Morrissey is experimenting with synths in his old days. Actually The Smiths were too drab and guitary for me in their heyday for my immature taste -- I've grown to love those album and early Moz stuff belatedly. I find Love Is On Its Way Out and Knockabout World plus these reviews very promising, although I do hope there are songs with more lyrical heft to them on the album.

SUPER MOZ RECARGADO GRACIAS TOTALES MOZ!!! YO SABIA QUE EL TEMA VENIA PRONTO !!!SU VOZ INTEGRA EL TEMA HERMOSO LA BANDA SUENA BIEN ,SIN EMBARGO EL SOBRESALE ,COMO SIEMPRE .ESTOY FELIZ POR EL, SE LO MERECE Y YA ESTA NECESITANDO CANTAR EN VIVO DESNUDAR SU TALENTO Y TAPARLE LA BOCA A TODOS LOS PELOTUDOS QUE HABLAN PORQUE EL AIRE ES GRATIS!!! MOZ ES PURO SENTIMIENTO AHI LO TENEMOS MAS VIVO QUE NUNCA SIN DECEPCIONAR HUMILLANDO A TODOS ES INCREIBLE LA VOZ QUE TIENE MI VIEJUCHIS APESTA DE TALENTO!! MOZ AHORA A LOS SHOWS Y A PENSAR EN UN DOCUMENTAL ,DONDE DEBERIAS ACLARAR CIERTOS PUNTOS ,YA ES HORA DE DESPOJARSE DE ALGUNAS COSITAS QUE TE HACEN RUIDO Y TE SENTIRAS MAS ALIVIADO!!! MOZ SOS MUY GROSSO!!!!

Despite Auntie Skinny's best efforts Morrissey just keeps on winning!

Meanwhile another year passes as Skinny's 'Ringworm Leader of the Troll's Compendium Of Morrissey Solo Criticism' fails to find a publisher...Keep on Trollin' Tiger!

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom