"List of the Lost" review in Dagens Nyheter, Svenska Dagbladet (Swedish); media mentions

From an anonymous person:

Dagens Nyheter (DN), the biggest morning paper in Sweden:
30 sept: review - "Maybe the worst book I've ever read"

”List of the lost” av Morrissey är kanske den sämsta bok jag har läst by Malena Rydell - Dagens Nyheter (Swedish). English translation by Google Translate

Svenska Dagbladet (SVD):
25 sept: Chronicle: "I hadn't managed more of Morrissey"

Jag hade inte klarat av mer Morrissey by Andres Lokko - Svenska Dagbladet (Swedish). English translation by Google Translate

Why can't men write about sex? by Joel Snape - Daily Life

Alas, poor Morrissey by Ken Raymond - NewsOK

Crashing Bore- A rant on Morrissey’s ‘List of the Lost’ - Occasionally Opinionated. Link posted by Girl-with-the-Thorn (original post).

From an anonymous person:

29 sept: List: Best book references in Morrissey songs
DN listar: Morrisseys bästa bokreferenser i låtform - Dagens Nyheter (Swedish)

Last edited:
I see Jeffrey Archer was No 1 last week in Sunday Times Fiction list. Says it all.

Again no one answers as to what modern fiction they do read.

All these copycat comments about the need for editing would be of a little more merit if said by people in publishing with knowledge of the editorial process. As it is, the comments here could well be being made by someone whose an Assistant Manager at Walmart. No offence intended if that is the case. No amount of editing could change what I consider a truly unique novel.

Not very good at her job the, is she...?

we dont know. we havent seen the original manuscript.
but one can only imagine. if this knotted alliteration is bad after editing....

It beggars belief, why would a man with no experience of lady gardens/minge has written such nonsense ?
He should stick to his silly slang between him and the boys in his 'gang' if he wants to have a successful writing career.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

we know moz has no sense of humor but wrote a painfully hilarious book that was not meant to be funny but deadly serious.
judges, meat industry, the royals.... women.... etc. very serious moz topics.
imagine he if he set you to write a comedy. LOL

humasexuals do not have knotted banana toes.

She clearly made many, many oversights in editing this, though. My guess is that Morrissey pushed back massively on messing with it too much, and so the irrelevant rambling remained. This was a problem with Autobiography too.

what was she to do? issue a book with one blank page?
now its her fault. anybody but the author. reader stay away from author.

You ever wonder why they call it a bandwagon? All these reviews sound the same. These critics lack original thought and therefore can't stand something that isn't what they expected. Maybe it's time to think on your own. Read it first.

yes... All these bandwagon babies crying for the next pacifier.... yet always disappointed when they find a new one to suck on. YAWN.

I wondered the same. Could be they don't actually read novels?? But they read Twitter, Facebook and bloggers and are led by such. The comments re the novel seem very vague, which leads me to think they haven't read it at all.

All these copycat comments about the need for editing would be of a little more merit if said by people in publishing with knowledge of the editorial process. As it is, the comments here could well be being made by someone whose an Assistant Manager at Walmart. No offence intended if that is the case. No amount of editing could change what I consider a truly unique novel.

I'm not in publishing as a career at the moment, but I'm doing some training to become a proofreader so I have a bit of knowledge about the basic process. Generally you'd have at least a structural editor and then a copy-editor liasing with the author on style and such before proofreading, typesetting and consequently publishing it, which is why I said I think Morrissey must have pushed back a lot on letting them change things.

what was she to do? issue a book with one blank page?
now its her fault. anybody but the author. reader stay away from author.

Oh, I'm certainly not putting the blame on her entirely- he produced the thing, after all. I just think there probably wasn't enough editorial input to cut out the crap and shape it into a decent book.

To be honest my fiction reading has been sparser in the past year- I graduated last year having analysed novels, poetry and plays for three years so I was a little burnt out on reading for a while. I will say that I recently read Alissa Nutting's Tampa, which I greatly enjoyed. Very unnerving book but executed fantastically- reminded me of a modern Lolita. Nathan Filer's The Shock of the Fall is also a recent favourite, and I'm currently reading Station Eleven- haven't got far enough in to make up my mind yet! I regret not reading as much anymore, although I'm sure that now I've had enough of a break from academia to relax into it again my desire to read fiction constantly will come back.

Ooh also, my all-time favourite is The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Love that book and the initial plot summary of LOTL reminded me of it, which is at least partly why I was so disappointed in the writing. Still haven't got round to the Goldfinch, and I've got a half-read copy of The Little Friend on my shelf from ages ago. Couldn't get into it at the time but might have to try again soon.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom