"Like Magic in the Streets: Orange Juice, Aztec Camera, the Go-Betweens, the Smiths, the Blue Nile and the End of Romance" by Tim Blanchard out

Tim writes:

A new book out this week: Like Magic in the Streets: Orange Juice, Aztec Camera, the Go-Betweens, the Smiths, the Blue Nile and the End of Romance

“An amazing book. I couldn't put it down. Meticulously researched and continuously compelling, I learnt a lot about these five seminal albums I didn't know myself.”
Craig Gannon, Aztec Camera/the Smiths

Description:

Like Magic in the Streets tells the curious stories behind the making of much-loved indie LPs: You Can’t Hide Your Love Forever, High Land, Hard Rain, Before Hollywood, The Smiths and A Walk Across the Rooftops - music that couldn’t have been made at any other time, shaped by an age of radical transformation during the early Eighties.

The book captures the mood of what it felt like to live under the rule of Queen Elizabeth II and Mrs Thatcher in the new-build landscape of flyovers and underpasses, concrete shopping centres and civic parks, to be night-walking under the sodium glare of streetlights to empty bus stations, reeking pubs and spangled discos.

It’s not the story of the rise of indie or how a great musical lineage changed the world. It’s about a short-lived and failed romance, a defeat, and why that might be more important and interesting than any Eighties’ success story.

full

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom