Let's taco 'bout this

THE L.A. TACO GUIDE TO LOVING OR NOT LOVING MORRISSEY - L.A. Taco
By MELISSA MORA HIDALGO

full

Excerpt:

It’s been a little over a week since Morrissey performed in concert to a near-capacity crowd of faithful fans at the Hollywood Bowl. It was the penultimate stop on his latest California Son album tour.

The Manchester-born singer came “home” to Los Angeles amidst lots of questions about whether his adopted-hometown fans should care about his For Britain politics and what those ideologies mean beyond U.K. borders, particularly in Trump’s America.

The last time Morrissey performed at the Hollywood Bowl, the Los Angeles City Council honored the singer by declaring November 10 “Morrissey Day” in L.A. The 2017 recognition made official what fans in the area have known for decades—that Los Angeles has been “too hot” for Moz since everyone’s tio, cousin, older sister, or girlfriend got them into The Smiths back in the 80s, and that Morrissey has “looked to Los Angeles” and the borderlands for his “new Latino heart” audiences ever since he stopped living in his native England in the 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well written, fair article about the man they call “El Tío Racista.”

Watch all the usual suspects pile in now to denounce it.
Oh I'm sure the air will be thick with 'Troll' and 'Redundant' down-votes. There might even be accusations that you and I are one and the same person.
But it was an interesting and well-written article. I was particularly struck by the bit that suggested that 'fandom identity' might be the reason why otherwise reasonable people are reluctant to let go of someone who they would otherwise dump quicker than an incandescent potato.

Let's taco 'bout these L.A. Taco folks promotin' Turkey tacos.
They also got a guide to buyin' Turkey murder.
It's nacho right to eat murdered Turkeys.

Oh I'm sure the air will be thick with 'Troll' and 'Redundant' down-votes. There might even be accusations that you and I are one and the same person.
But it was an interesting and well-written article. I was particularly struck by the bit that suggested that 'fandom identity' might be the reason why otherwise reasonable people are reluctant to let go of someone who they would otherwise dump quicker than an incandescent potato.

I don't think it's fan identification, it's because it doesn't seem to be a rational political choice. He makes erratic statements & sings the same unhappy songs. And looks in hell these days.

I honestly think he needs therapy. No one with Irish parents & Irish Republican sympathies ends up a British Nationalist because they're sane & healthy.

Americans won't care about his politics and his support to For Britain, because it doesn't affect them and also because most of them don't seems to care either about what Donal Trump does. Americans love to say "we are in a democracy" even when someone attempts against it.

ah well heres a big juicy troll symbol for you,ask and you shall receive.

I think what is being clearly neglected here is the fact that if there is to be ANY discussion about tacos and Uncle Steve, Aztec should be a part of it from the very start

DILETTANTES

Did the blogger get paid by each time a song or album title was mentioned?

The navel gazing with some people? And almost a week later!

I was particularly struck by the bit that suggested that 'fandom identity' might be the reason why otherwise reasonable people are reluctant to let go of someone who they would otherwise dump quicker than an incandescent potato.

Yeah, reminds me of those who hate Morrissey but continue to come onto this site, they just can’t let go. They say they’re ‘fighting racism’:rolleyes: but the truth is that they can’t let go of Morrissey, he is their identity, he’s all that you have,
guess you could call it ...
‘Ex-fan Identity’.

:cool:

THE L.A. TACO GUIDE TO LOVING OR NOT LOVING MORRISSEY - L.A. Taco
By MELISSA MORA HIDALGO

full

Excerpt:

It’s been a little over a week since Morrissey performed in concert to a near-capacity crowd of faithful fans at the Hollywood Bowl. It was the penultimate stop on his latest California Son album tour.

The Manchester-born singer came “home” to Los Angeles amidst lots of questions about whether his adopted-hometown fans should care about his For Britain politics and what those ideologies mean beyond U.K. borders, particularly in Trump’s America.

The last time Morrissey performed at the Hollywood Bowl, the Los Angeles City Council honored the singer by declaring November 10 “Morrissey Day” in L.A. The 2017 recognition made official what fans in the area have known for decades—that Los Angeles has been “too hot” for Moz since everyone’s tio, cousin, older sister, or girlfriend got them into The Smiths back in the 80s, and that Morrissey has “looked to Los Angeles” and the borderlands for his “new Latino heart” audiences ever since he stopped living in his native England in the 90s.

nicely written! Respect to Claudia Sánchez for the following:

“Another fan, Claudia Sánchez of Los Angeles, came to see Morrissey with her friend, Christine, “a Moz-head forever.” But Sánchez admitted a shift in her fandom. “I am Pro-Palestine,” she said, “and I can’t agree with his stance.” She refers to the singer’s decision to perform in Israel on recent tours, as well as his political party’s explicit anti-Islam, pro-Israeli-state platforms.”

Remember when Churchill said we were fighting the Second World War to preserve our culture and way of life.

That was a lie then.

nicely written! Respect to Claudia Sánchez for the following:

“Another fan, Claudia Sánchez of Los Angeles, came to see Morrissey with her friend, Christine, “a Moz-head forever.” But Sánchez admitted a shift in her fandom. “I am Pro-Palestine,” she said, “and I can’t agree with his stance.” She refers to the singer’s decision to perform in Israel on recent tours, as well as his political party’s explicit anti-Islam, pro-Israeli-state platforms.”

That's actually one of the few things that might save him - at some point anti-Zionism turned into antisemitism & activists are sharing neo-Nazi memes on forums. If enough left-wingers get denounced as racists they might not have enough moral authority to denounce Morrissey for his mistakes (if he stops making them).

I understand her perspective. The funny thing is I saw the author, M. Hidalgo, at the Irvine show earlier in the month. I was in the pit and she pushed me and a few others to get to the front of the stage. I guess that show was okay to go to?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom