"Kill Uncle" at 30: Oddball album or timeless classic? - Dickie Felton

Link from Dickie:

"Kill Uncle" at 30: Oddball album or timeless classic? - Dickie Felton

full

To honest, whatever is re-issued will have to be significantly more interesting than a different cover, remastered tracks, etc. Something along the lines of a real introspective, incorporating the key players in making the album happen would be a thought. But how much out there that already isn't known (by us the fans) is even out there?

MrShoes
Indeed. But since Morrissey is too unorganized to put out an interview on his own web site or even release an advertised remix, that will never happen.

Are you talking about new pictures in a gatefold, back cover or inner sleeves? As far as I’m aware, the front covers to both of those reissues used the same image for the front cover, at least. I couldn’t say whether the fonts are different...

Tomorrow may be a different mix - & I’d prefer the original album mixes myself - but I was talking more about keeping the original track listings intact, without replacing any tracks & adding b-sides or home demos etc.
Back cover and gatefold. Basically everything about the artwork was different besides the picture on the front cover.

I get your point though, they were 'better' than the other re-issues.
I just think it was unnecessary to change the artwork of those two albums, especially with added pictures from different eras. And the new fonts were horrible. The original Your Arsenal especially is such a gorgeously designed record...

Front.jpg
Back.jpg

The world may be ending,
But look, I'm practically human

Yet another album (like Maladjusted) which was slated at the time, but looking back at KU now it stands head and shoulders over anything Morrissey's has put out for the last ten years or so.

Surprised (but then again not surprised given how many people hate 'I don't mind if you forget me') at the hate directed at 'Found Found Found' - always liked that one.

And why are some people adding 'I know it's gonna happen Someday' and 'You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side' to their own versions of KU? Almost as bad as Moz's odd additions to the reissues!

if the artwork is the same as it was 30 years ago,people wont buy it because its almost identical to the original product,people need more these days.
You say that but, as I collector I’d buy it/them. There is very little I won’t actually buy. To the point, I bought both Simply Vinyl releases of VH and YA because the stickers on the sleeve were silver and gold. ;)

I sometimes wonder what Kill Uncle would have sounded like if it had been recorded properly and not simply a series of studio overdubs on what were essentially demos. In a perfect world, "Sing Your Life" would be a standard akin to "My Way" or something.
Someone did a remix of the album to address this point. Not perfect, but good at points and at least interesting in others:

for those mentioning the production issues, someone did a remix of kill uncle that was good at points:

Kill Uncle was so fun. Agree with all the positive comments, including comments about this era/album live.

I think that faint mauvey-lilac was perfect visual incarnation of synesthesia, based on the music inside. Who chose it? It’s still perfectly aligned now, thirty years later.

The fact that this album stands alone and cannot be compared to any other, or thrown into a category with any other/s, is SO VERY MUCH to its credit - and part of its steadfast and beguiling charm.

If the audience or the listener don’t know how to appreciate different artistic creations, more loss to the consumer.

This album has been repeatedly criticized over the many years since it was released, when in fact, this was something so tremendously creative, that it HAS *more* than stood the test of time.

It remains as creative as it was on first release, and is so unique, that it is truly ageless.

What’s interesting is when an artist can lead so many in one direction, and none are any the wiser.

My feeling on this album is that it takes genius to be able to create something so quietly iconic, which you then mischievously allow people to believe was flippant, and light.

This album is beautiful, and unique, and will hold its place in history for exactly the nuanced creativity it embodies. It is in fact, for the many reasons that make it unique, peerless - and it will remain so.

A macaron, it never was.

To honest, whatever is re-issued will have to be significantly more interesting than a different cover, remastered tracks, etc. Something along the lines of a real introspective, incorporating the key players in making the album happen would be a thought. But how much out there that already isn't known (by us the fans) is even out there?

MrShoes

The next reissues will revert back to the original song versions, track lists and artwork, that will be the selling point. :lbf:

For you see, from the very beginning Morrissey always had a master plan.

;):cool:

I never got the sleeve design for your arsenal.....live photo for a studio album.....really bizarre photo for a sleeve , but , then again given M total disinterest in sleeve art , I'm surprised we never had a birds trifle cake on the sleeve , I mean , the implied threat of being assaulted with a trifle is quite real in some houses up north..

Last edited:
I don't think of Kill Uncle as a classic but I'm really fond of it. I recall when I bought it and that was a magical experience. Perhaps, Kill Uncle and Low in high school are the weakest Morrissey's albums.

I don't think of Kill Uncle as a classic but I'm really fond of it. I recall when I bought it and that was a magical experience. Perhaps, Kill Uncle and Low in high school are the weakest Morrissey's albums.
Lambach. You describe being fond of it and purchasing it recently as a “magical experience” yet it’s his weakest album (along with High School)
Do you not think that’s rather odd?:confused:

The thing with Kill Uncle is that when it's good, it's REALLY good. But when it's bad, it's HORRENDOUS

Lambach. You describe being fond of it and purchasing it recently as a “magical experience” yet it’s his weakest album (along with High School)
Do you not think that’s rather odd?:confused:
It's weak if you compare with others Moz album. Kill Uncle isn't awful. And when I bought it I was so excited... that's it.

I think assessing it in terms of individual songs, it's not very good. But as a whole, it's got a nice mood, and I like how relaxing in a kind of as you said it "odball" way, although for me that's a good thing. I think it's his most underrated album at any rate.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom