Morrissey Central "KAREN CARPENTER WAS OBVIOUSLY A GENIUS" (September 1, 2020)

unnamed-5_fivbok.jpg

Source:

I am good fun at parties but tend to stay away from taking the piss out of people with mental illnesses.

But calling a 61 year old man who is known to suffer from depression (a mental illness) "a bloated whale" although he doesn't actually look like a bloated whale is okay?

Nostalgia, mostly. Karen Carpenter jokes were all the rage when I was growing up in the 80’s.

Q: Why did Karen Carpenter shoot her dog?
A: It kept trying to bury her.

I knew about Karen Carpenter from jokes about her years before I ever actually heard any of her music (which I actually quite like).

Very true. I found out who Karen Carpenter was from the jokes in the school playground. Kids can be ruthless...

This could be in response to Andy Rourke's Twitter post about Karen Carpenter.

Andy Rourke does loving tributes to Karen Carpenter (who died on 4th February 1983 at the young age of 32) and Denise Johnson. Yet there is no mention of the beautiful Elizabeth Anne Dwyer Morrissey's beloved mother who has died recently. Elizabeth Anne Dwyer was beautiful both inside and out.

If it wasn't for Elizabeth Anne Dwyer Andy Rourke wouldn't have the career he has today. Andy Rourke probably never met Karen Carpenter or saw her live in concert. Yet Andy Rourke must of met Elizabeth Anne Dwyer loads of times and known her on a personal level and still no tribute to her.

Also where are the tributes to Elizabeth Anne Dwyer from Johnny Marr, Mike Joyce and the other EX-Morrissey musicians? Someone said Alain Whyte did a tribute but I couldn't see it on his Twitter page.

Why did Johnny Marr's son Nile Marr do that horrible t-shirt post thing about Morissey? That is very insensitive and horrible Morrissey is grieving at the moment.

Andy Rourke does loving tributes to Karen Carpenter (who died on 4th February 1983 at the young age of 32) and Denise Johnson. Yet there is no mention of the beautiful Elizabeth Anne Dwyer Morrissey's beloved mother who has died recently. Elizabeth Anne Dwyer was beautiful both inside and out.

If it wasn't for Elizabeth Anne Dwyer Andy Rourke wouldn't have the career he has today. Andy Rourke probably never met Karen Carpenter or saw her live in concert. Yet Andy Rourke must of met Elizabeth Anne Dwyer loads of times and known her on a personal level and still no tribute to her.

Also where are the tributes to Elizabeth Anne Dwyer from Johnny Marr, Mike Joyce and the other EX-Morrissey musicians? Someone said Alain Whyte did a tribute but I couldn't see it on his Twitter page.

Why did Johnny Marr's son Nile Marr do that horrible t-shirt post thing about Morissey? That is very insensitive and horrible Morrissey is grieving at the moment.

Andy has the career he has now because he is an amazing bass player. And he got the opportunity to play with the Smiths because Johnny knew Andy is a great musician who would contribute to the sound of the Smiths. Who can tell his success is thanks to Morrissey's mother? That's absurd, even distorted view on reality.

Has it ever crossed your mind they may have passed on their condolences in private. Not everyone feels the need to blurt out everything they do via social media.

Andy has the career he has now because he is an amazing bass player. And he got the opportunity to play with the Smiths because Johnny knew Andy is a great musician who would contribute to the sound of the Smiths. Who can tell his success is thanks to Morrissey's mother? That's absurd, even distorted view on reality.
Agree, Andy and Johnny knew each other so no idea why Elizabeth would have any impact on him being in the Smiths.

But calling a 61 year old man who is known to suffer from depression (a mental illness) "a bloated whale" although he doesn't actually look like a bloated whale is okay?
Quite. Making fun of people's obesity is never nice, is it? Can you remember who said this..."although given her 78% pork girth it could take nine wielding axemen and at least six daylight hours to finish her off."

Agree, Andy and Johnny knew each other so no idea why Elizabeth would have any impact on him being in the Smiths.

I guess Eliza-Marie simply means that if Elizabeth Anne Dwyer had never given birth, there had been no Morrissey and therefore no The Smiths. But yes, I find the whole thing absurd: Dweyer lived all her life privately, she was not a public figure, so perhaps she would not even have wanted all these public tribute. Very rarely we see other pop stars' parents remembered in public either, unless they were famous themselves. The idea that the whole world should now pay loving tributes to a person they never even knew is absurd.

Quite. Making fun of people's obesity is never nice, is it? Can you remember who said this..."although given her 78% pork girth it could take nine wielding axemen and at least six daylight hours to finish her off."
Sooo... because he made a nasty comment it's okay to call him names?

You don't get it, do you? You don't get to pontificate on others' indiscretions if the person you're trying to defend is themselves guilty of the same thing. Will you literally call black white in defence of this bloke?
I never defended Morrissey's comment. Why would I? I don't think it's an acceptable thing to say.

Saying that I don't get to call out body shaming comments against Morrissey because Morrissey body shames other people makes no sense. That's employing a double standard.

Moz makes a good point posting this; that it is possible to be one of our greatest velvet-voiced musical treasures, who has created some truly life enhancing art and yet be capable of sometimes foolishly expressing some very daft opinions (which do not necessarily tarnish that great art).

in my perusing of you tube, ive just come across the Liverpool echo
arena abandonment gig of 2009 when a bottle of water was thrown at Morrissey. ( not a bottle of beer) as reported...
how soon is now before the greatest hits tour, because his recent output has been absolute garbage..
An American term... I may add, as if I can be so bold...
What a load of f***ing shit ....

I guess Eliza-Marie simply means that if Elizabeth Anne Dwyer had never given birth, there had been no Morrissey and therefore no The Smiths.
I don't think there's anyone who don't know that. First of all, it's Johnny who recruited the members and made the Smiths. Even if she had given birth to Morrissey, there still might not have been the Smiths. The implication that 'Andy owe his success to the Smiths that is Morrissey' is absurd itself too. The Smiths was not like Wham at all, it was truly what 'band' means. The four talented people as one unit. Morrissey wasn't the only talent in the band and rather he was the least experienced member in the Smiths. All people who worked directly for the band's music was very talented, which was huge unexpected luck for Morrissey. Morrissey did splendid jobs for his part as a frontman and a lyricist, but Andy was the same although most people usually don't hear how bassline in a song is creative and technical. The fact that Morrissey's job can be the most easily recognized to the public doesn't mean that the success and the art of the Smiths was made by him. Andy made his success through the Smiths, but it's made by his talent not because the band just existed. No one owe to anyone, but it seems that some people in this forum just ignore it and like to think everyone related to the Smiths owe Morrissey. Like all the 'Nile Marr should appreciate Morrissey for his fame' stuffs. Eliza-Marie's comment shows the extreme of that.

And I want to remind Eliza-Marie that Morrissey himself didn't announce anything when Joe moss passed away, who he has clearly owe his success to.

I don't think there's anyone who don't know that. First of all, it's Johnny who recruited the members and made the Smiths. Even if she had given birth to Morrissey, there still might not have been the Smiths. The implication that 'Andy owe his success to the Smiths that is Morrissey' is absurd itself too. The Smiths was not like Wham at all, it was truly what 'band' means. The four talented people as one unit. Morrissey wasn't the only talent in the band and rather he was the least experienced member in the Smiths. All people who worked directly for the band's music was very talented, which was huge unexpected luck for Morrissey. Morrissey did splendid jobs for his part as a frontman and a lyricist, but Andy was the same although most people usually don't hear how bassline in a song is creative and technical. The fact that Morrissey's job can be the most easily recognized to the public doesn't mean that the success and the art of the Smiths was made by him. Andy made his success through the Smiths, but it's made by his talent not because the band just existed. No one owe to anyone, but it seems that some people in this forum just ignore it and like to think everyone related to the Smiths owe Morrissey. Like all the 'Nile Marr should appreciate Morrissey for his fame' stuffs. Eliza-Marie's comment shows the extreme of that.

And I want to remind Eliza-Marie that Morrissey himself didn't announce anything when Joe moss passed away, who he has clearly owe his success to.
Are you Johnny Marr?

In my view Morrissey was the star of The Smiths and was helped by Johnny Marr. Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke could of been anyone.

Andy Rourke has been incredibly fortunate throughout his life. Andy Rourke basically won the lottery playing bass in The Smiths. Andy Rourke has done many loving public tributes to countless people including Karen Carpenter yet there is no public tribute to Morrissey's beloved mother Betty (Elizabeth) who helped to give him career.

I love Betty (Elizabeth) she gave birth to Morrissey and brought him up. I will always be grateful to her. Morrissey is a genius. I love Morrissey's solo work he is a true star.

Nile Marr was wrong to do what he did he is wrong what he said it isn't true. If it wasn't for Morrissey Nile Marr wouldn't of gone to private schools and had a good education. If it wasn't for Morrissey Nile Marr wouldn't of grown up in a mansion and had another house in Portland to go to if he got fed up of the weather in Manchester/Cheshire.

Yeah, Todd Haynes is a brilliant filmmaker. I know not everyone likes it, but I loved Velvet Goldmine.
It's a very stylish film about Bowie/Iggy/Lou/Angie that is definitely appreciated more by fans of the whole minutiae of those individuals than mere casual listeners of their music. The Wilde reference at the start was a real masterstroke and another piece of candy for those who know. As great as the music was/is, I thought Ewan's Iggy impersonations were strictly silly (if somewhat sincere). David Hoyle as one of the Mainman crew was great because his Divine David persona is classic. The character of Shannon playing Bowie's Coco Schwab was perfect and Toni Collette really did inhabit/channel that ephemeral [insert adjective here] called Angie Bowie. I'm not quite sure who Jack Fairey was supposed to composite (I can only think of Marc Bolan - or maybe the entire 'times') but it all holds together well in that eclectic way that a Lynch film does so well. I saw it in Dublin at the cinema and was so very glad I got to see and hear it with optimal sound and vision (pun intended).
I'd also read that it was originally going to be a biopic of Bowie (who obviously nixed that proposition quickly) and that made me think of Bowie's scrapped plans for his '1984' concept being shut down by the Orwell Estate (karma perhaps …).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom