junkee.com: "How Morrissey Ruined Morrissey" (April 20, 2021)

Angelito

"And if I seem a little strange..."
GettyImages-154415546-680x454.jpg

"How Morrissey Ruined Morrissey" by Joseph Earp
https://junkee.com/morrissey-ruined-career/292853

As I once overheard someone say: "Morrissey is the poster boy for NEVER meeting your heroes." Too true.

True art is impossible to ruin. Morrissey refused to succumb to the bullying culture we are temporarily experiencing. Takes courage.

Yeah he didn’t ruin anything for me. If he tours near me I’ll go and when the new music comes out I’ll listen and most likely be moved and better off for it

"How Morrissey Ruined Morrissey" by Joseph Earp
https://junkee.com/morrissey-ruined-career/292853

As I once overheard someone say: "Morrissey is the poster boy for NEVER meeting your heroes." Too true.
I’ve only met him once, at the book signing in 2013, and I couldn’t disagree more. When it was my turn, he had already met with/endured hundreds of other fans - and he still took the time to listen to me and my ramblings, look into my eyes, repeat my name so as not to misunderstand it and, perhaps most important of all, give me a long, warm, loving hug. I felt seen, heard and understood by one of the most important people “in my life”. Because of this, I will always love him. Because of this, all this other nonsense doesn’t really matter at the end of the day.

Thousands upon thousands of other fans who’s gotten selfies, had chats with him or gotten autographs through the years will say the same thing.

I’ve only met him once, at the book signing in 2013, and I couldn’t disagree more. When it was my turn, he had already met with/endured hundreds of other fans - and he still took the time to listen to me and my ramblings, look into my eyes, repeat my name so as not to misunderstand it and, perhaps most important of all, give me a long, warm, loving hug. I felt seen, heard and understood by one of the most important people “in my life”. Because of this, I will always love him. Because of this, all this other nonsense doesn’t really matter at the end of the day.

Thousands upon thousands of other fans who’s gotten selfies, had chats with him or gotten autographs through the years will say the same thing.
I'm glad to hear you had such a sweet and memorable experience meeting him, but the Morrissey you met is but one mask the man wears. Of COURSE he's going to be on his best, warmest, most affable and charming behavior at something like a book signing. "Never meet your heroes" doesn't only mean briefly meeting them in person -- it means coming to terms with the fact that they're human, riddled with flaws like the rest of us, and are often far different people from the romanticized vision of them we may hold in our hearts & heads. Public persona ≠ private reality. I've no interest in debating Morrissey's character with the true believers on this site, but I will say that I'm in agreement with the author of the article I posted. We're each free to make up our own minds, but Morrissey's behavior, his statements, and his egomaniacal arrogance absolutely ruined him for me. That's not to say I don't still love the art he's created... but the hero worship I was once guilty of has died an ugly death.

Last edited:

Newsflash. He doesn't give a shit about you. Only your money.

Nice post, serving no other purpose than to try to ruin that guys experience meeting Morrissey.
He wishes! He and the chap who started this thread. But no, that experience is one that has proven to be unbreakable. I’m very grateful.

I met Morrissey five times, each time he was incredibly lovely.

Sadly he has also proved to be a racist bastard.

He wishes! He and the chap who started this thread. But no, that experience is one that has proven to be unbreakable. I’m very grateful.

But GS, aren't you completely horrified by the fact that a total stranger doesn't care about you as a person? 😱
I bet he never even wrote you a birthday card. That absolute monster.

Guess I can't figure that if Moz was so racist, then how
come half his band ain't white.
Also wonder why the guys in his band would stay
if he was so racist.
Are ya sayin' that the band forgo their dignity just to get
some money?

But GS, aren't you completely horrified by the fact that a total stranger doesn't care about you as a person? 😱
I bet he never even wrote you a birthday card. That absolute monster.
Not to me nor my poor mother! Why is he like this?! 😩

I'm assuming they're low? Have never been on Spotify.
I’d suggest you spend more time on Spotify than on message boards dedicated to artists you don’t care for.
You’re welcome!

FFS its 'angelito' who do you suppose that is :lbf:
Moz is going to care about peeps hes never met:crazy:
like Le:frogface: gives away free merchandise:lbf:

skinny must want moz to join him and angelito in searching for penis interlopers:lbf::lbf:

Back
Top Bottom