Johnny Marr's fantasy super group line-up - NME

Couldn't have said it better myself..

Drums: Stephen Morris, Joy Division/New Order
“He invented a way of playing the drums that has been a bedrock of really great music ever since. People don’t realise this, but no one actually played the drums like that before Stephen came along.”

In which case they are both letting the media destroy their friendship, which is silly.
It's not really a catfight though, is it? Morrissey hasn't said anything nasty about JM - it's just Johnny slipping in bitchy remarks every time a music paper comes to talk to him.

Silly it is. But to quote from that excellent 2002 Dave Fanning interview that you posted t'other day, re: their on-going estrangement ~

Dave: ...but bejaysus yer two grown men, come on now

Morrissey: ...only outwardly..only outwardly (sly smile...probably; it was a radio interview)

Also interesting to note which music rag came to talk to him. The one Morrissey just concluded a five year legal case against. The one Johnny gave the exclusive track by track album splash to last week. He's in it pretty much every week these days.

I guess the comment hits to close to home KELSALL

Not really, I just don't like people who judge people that they know nothing about about. I have no opinions on Morrissey's character outside his music, but it annyos me when people like you think that you do. And what's with the capitalising of my name ANONYMOUS?

He does not need luck, his new single blows out of the water anything MOZ has done since Vaxhull. It is so clear the musical direction MOZ has taken vs. Johnny is less than ideal. Johnny's new single is brilliant!

Well, each to their own, I suppose. The intro is excellent. The riff is quite nice in an early 90s way. But the lyric and vocal are lamentable - there's barely the trace of a song there. And the video is beyond excruciating! Johnny is certainly no crooner, that's for sure...

the video is beyond excruciating!

It really is dire. Did Angie film it? The editing/pace is completely out of step with the music, which makes it even more comical. The bit where he starts jumping up and down... I just cringed for him. But of course all his mates are telling him how great it is.

Silly it is. But to quote from that excellent 2002 Dave Fanning interview that you posted t'other day, re: their on-going estrangement ~

Dave: ...but bejaysus yer two grown men, come on now

Morrissey: ...only outwardly..only outwardly (sly smile...probably; it was a radio interview)

Also interesting to note which music rag came to talk to him. The one Morrissey just concluded a five year legal case against. The one Johnny gave the exclusive track by track album splash to last week. He's in it pretty much every week these days.

Definitely a sly smile - the video used to be on YouTube. The audio was eventually used for the radio but I don't think the interview took place live in the studio - it looked more like a dressing room and neither were wearing headsets. Morrissey's expression when he said "I thought it would be temporary" said it all. Anyway - Johnny has been courting the NME for sure...but I'd guess that's what most of his fanbase would read, since it's still as much of a Smiths fanzine as it ever was. It's just that now they've decided they loathe the singer.

Well, each to their own, I suppose. The intro is excellent. The riff is quite nice in an early 90s way. But the lyric and vocal are lamentable - there's barely the trace of a song there. And the video is beyond excruciating! Johnny is certainly no crooner, that's for sure...

I've listened to the song at least five times now and I still can't make out any lyrics beyond "Who wants to be a messenger/Don't wanna be a messenger". His voice is so monotonous and buried so low in the mix that it's barely there. I'm guessing he's still insecure about the voice.

Last edited:
Johnny's new song I would give 3.5 stars out of 5.

Its only true failing is its length, it needs to have 45 seconds in the last part shorn off. The lyrics are almost meaningless to me - light, but not stupid or cringeworthy -and his vocal is a vast improvement over the Healers era. Sonically it is fantastic, everything instrument (including vocals) is in the right place loudness-wise. His guitar playing is more muscular and less precious than The Smiths days and there are great hooks and riffs throughout, but they are less impactful than a normal single because they are fragmented and played around with structurally. There are more memorable guitar melodies in this than Mozzer's entire last album, and I say that as a fan of the album.

It gives me hope for him, the Healers album and his personal style from that time was absolute rubbish. Sub-Oasis/Stone Roses - I wanna suck the well dry of this Brit pop crap scene - kinda shit...This sounds like the interesting, experimental, and talented guitar player that I grew up listening to, and it is a joy to see him back.

An interesting song I guess, but it almost seems only half finished. Perhaps he's missing a producer that can push him. Still, really looking forward to hearing the entire album. -MR

Morrissey once said this site isn't about him and his solo work. I guess this silly article about Johnny's fantasy super rock band proves him right - as usual. Reporting by the NME, too, of course. :rolleyes:

Morrissey once said this site isn't about him and his solo work. I guess this silly article about Johnny's fantasy super rock band proves him right - as usual. Reporting by the NME, too, of course. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's so hard to find anything here about Morrissey and his solo career. :crazy:

It isn't, well not wholly in any case. The subtext on the General Discussion forum says this, and has done since it was set up..."For general discussion of Morrissey, The Smiths and related music." And we forums (fora?) for other music, and even off-topic stuff.

P.

Yeah, it's so hard to find anything here about Morrissey and his solo career. :crazy:

I just made an obvious statement. No need to jump into troll mode. I've been here as long as you have - maybe even longer, so get off my nuts.

It isn't, well not wholly in any case. The subtext on the General Discussion forum says this, and has done since it was set up..."For general discussion of Morrissey, The Smiths and related music." And we forums (fora?) for other music, and even off-topic stuff.

P.

I know and understand. Just always thought the site should be renamed...that's all :)

I just made an obvious statement. No need to jump into troll mode. I've been here as long as you have - maybe even longer, so get off my nuts.

roflmao Sorry I pointed out how ridiculous your statement was. I didn't know we were supposed to let the old-timers get away with that kind of nonsense.

Last edited:
roflmao Sorry I pointed out how ridiculous your statement was. I didn't know we were supposed to let the old-timers get away with that kind of nonsense.

I pointed out something he said about the site that is true. Why is that ridiculous? No need to apologize. You're the one acting like a fool.

I pointed out something he said about the site that is true. Why is that ridiculous? No need to apologize. You're the one acting like a fool.

What is the relevance to Johnny Marr's fantasy super group?

Morrissey simply refuses to understand the concept of internet message board.
In 2004 he decided to shut down his official forum within few months.

Please stop hijacking thread, you can always post to other threads in off-topic.
Thank you very much for your considerations.

What is the relevance to Johnny Marr's fantasy super group?

Morrissey simply refuses to understand the concept of internet message board.
In 2004 he decided to shut down his official forum within few months.

Please stop hijacking thread, you can always post to other threads in off-topic.
Thank you very much for your considerations.

Hijacking thread?? Jaysus...I MADE AN OBSERVATION.

How 'bout this: please stop poking your stick of authority in my face and pm me next time YOU think I've, uh...stepped outta line.

Honestly.

*sigh*

I don't remember sending you a PM at least last 24 months.

These posts will be moved to Off-topic fight thread.

Last edited:
*sigh*

I never sent you a PM.

These posts will be moved to Off-topic fight thread.

1. I know you didn't pm me. Read again.

2. I'm not fighting with you.

3. This whole thread is off topic, yet here it is on the front page of Morrissey-SOLO.

4. I'm done with this thread, so move it to Timbuktu if you want...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom