Johnny Marr wins lifetime achievement award - GQ magazine

44217_44216_1920.jpeg

Johnny Marr - Lifetime Achievement.

"As one of the founding members of The Smiths, Johnny Marr was responsible for reinventing guitar music for a new generation. And since then, it’s perhaps easier to list the artists he hasn’t collaborated with rather than the ones he has – no joke, there’s an entire Wikipedia page devoted to it, from Bryan Ferry to Paul McCartney, Talking Heads to The Pet Shop Boys."

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/gq-awards-2018-winners

2.38372256.jpg

Johnny Marr vows to never retire as he picks up GQ Award.

"The former Smiths guitarist said it would be a waste of his famous haircut if he were to call it a day in the music industry."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/johnny-marr-vows-never-retire-15117215.amp?

Regards,
FWD.

UPDATE Sep. 7:

Video of acceptance speech posted by Zoinks:

He did thank the other Smiths. To be fair, I think if he mentioned Morrissey by name in this crowd, it might have gotten some boos.

Boy, does Kylie seem to really like him!

Last edited by a moderator:
much better pep your now an honourary scot and you may wear the kilt on special occasions.

Because it can't be done, without having an instrumental of Matt's version and the isolated vocal, or acapella, of Moz singing.

Bummer. I thought there were ways to isolate parts of videos but I’m not a tech guy whatsoever. As for Johnny being into his image from the start, that’s of course very true. He’s always been into his image and his hair and this is no put down as I love clothes and hair. Remember when Bernard mentioned him running into a pole and said he was probably checking out his hair in a store window or something to that effect

Johnny's always been a dedicated fashionista. Read his book. Right from the start, even before the Smiths, the clothes were nearly as important to him as the music. It was only Moz who wore second hand clothes, and even then that was just so he could achieve his 'Dame Edith Sitwell goes clubbing' look on a budget. These days, he's a walking advert for designer wear.
The clerks probably smile when they see him coming. "Oh, this unsellable overstock- I mean these chic trousers that make it look like you fashionably pooped your pants are all the rage. Very hot."

The clerks probably smile when they see him coming. "Oh, this unsellable overstock- I mean these chic trousers that make it look like you fashionably pooped your pants are all the rage. Very hot."
Ah, the trousers! God, the trousers, I so wish he'd sort them out, he's often pretty stylish otherwise. I wonder what the problem is? Do you think he secretly has a colostomy bag or something?

Ah, the trousers! God, the trousers, I so wish he'd sort them out, he's often pretty stylish otherwise. I wonder what the problem is? Do you think he secretly has a colostomy bag or something?
No, I don't think that, I just think he's got no clue about what is flattering, coupled with yes men in the fold.
I think he tries too hard now with the designer labels and it looks tacky much of the time. That, and nobody wants to see Grandpa's tits. Shirts come with buttons for a reason.

He may not wear tight jeans/trousers as one of the precautions he takes to stop acid being pushed up into his oesophagus?

Morrissey has since southpaw grammar worn sorta baggy jeans though not as baggy as recently. It also seems to depend on what pants he’s wearing. When he wears suit or dress pants they don’t seem so baggy. My guess is he’s just going for a particular eras look that he’s into for whatever reason. Like with his Rockford era unbuttoned shirt and chunky jewelry

Well, I get that if it was the waist, but as far as I'm aware the oesophagus isn't in the arse area :lbf:

They appear vey loose around the waist as well? Whatever the reason, they aren't very flattering.

Last edited:
No, I don't think that, I just think he's got no clue about what is flattering, coupled with yes men in the fold.
I think he tries too hard now with the designer labels and it looks tacky much of the time. That, and nobody wants to see Grandpa's tits. Shirts come with buttons for a reason.
Is that what it's about? Are those great flapping horror-shows designer-wear? Don't designers design for human buttocks? Hmm, I don't know, it seems he's more often worn them baggy than not, over the years. There was the Kill Uncle/Your Arsenal period where we were treated to a decent fit (and very nice it was too); and the Italian Period, when he wore those low-slung, flared bum- (and everything else) huggers. But the rest of the time it's been flappety flap.

I have wondered, in idle moments (and I do have a lot of those), whether he has some complex relationship with his nether regions, to accompany his complex relationship with sex. Or maybe he's sensitive about the middle-aged weight gain and is following the old 'just buy a bigger pair' mantra.

Whatever it is, I feel we should start a campaign to get him properly trousered.

Is that what it's about? Are those great flapping horror-shows designer-wear? Don't designers design for human buttocks? Hmm, I don't know, it seems he's more often worn them baggy than not, over the years. There was the Kill Uncle/Your Arsenal period where we were treated to a decent fit (and very nice it was too); and the Italian Period, when he wore those low-slung, flared bum- (and everything else) huggers. But the rest of the time it's been flappety flap.

I have wondered, in idle moments (and I do have a lot of those), whether he has some complex relationship with his nether regions, to accompany his complex relationship with sex. Or maybe he's sensitive about the middle-aged weight gain and is following the old 'just buy a bigger pair' mantra.

Whatever it is, I feel we should start a campaign to get him properly trousered.
If he hadn't figured it out by 40, I think there's no hope. I do find it funny that he once wrote about old singers in misguided trousers though.

If he hadn't figured it out by 40, I think there's no hope. I do find it funny that he once wrote about old singers in misguided trousers though.
We actually only develop as humans until the age of 29 so the things we haven't figured out by then will remain the same.
We're all 29 year olds no matter how we look.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom