Johnny Marr + The Healers

Pokey

Any word on what's happening with a new album here? I wasn't hanging out for it all that much until Johnny posted that clip of him on youtube of him playing "European Me" on guitar, and then checked out (from what I could see) the only clip of it live on youtube and it's just a great song, if this going to be the quality of what a new Healers album is like then I'm suddenly really looking forward to it! But ... can't seem to find any info, if it definitely happening?

I've been thinking a lot bout this recently, as well. Months and months ago he says that he'll be putting out two albums of material under his own name, and all this time later we hear very little. No new Healers' shows past those few in Manchester a few months back. I believe in that recent interview for the "Ask Me" website, he mentioned something about still working on the album. I hope so, I plan on giving it a try when it comes out. I didn't HATE "Boomslang"; I mean, it wasn't great, but I didn't hate it.

people are waiting for that next Healers album like a septuagenarian awaits their next enema.

His role in Modest Mouse was eyebrow-raising but rewarding in the end. His membership in the Cribs made even less sense but still gave up some rewarding music. I'd take another album with both over dual Healers albums ANY day of the week.

Christ, nobody needs two Healers albums

people are waiting for that next Healers album like a septuagenarian awaits their next enema.

His role in Modest Mouse was eyebrow-raising but rewarding in the end. His membership in the Cribs made even less sense but still gave up some rewarding music. I'd take another album with both over dual Healers albums ANY day of the week.

Christ, nobody needs two Healers albums

I wasn't crazy about the first one, it had a couple of good tracks but nothing amazing. 'Down on the corner' was probably the best but even so.

It was purely on the strength of 'European Me' that has me interested now.

As far as I know, Johnny has spent most of the summer recording the new album in Germany and now it's almost finished. I was surprised that he found the time to jet off for the Montreux Jazz Festival and then back for the Bryan Ferry guest show, but I get the feeling that the Healers project is just Johnny's way of staving off boredom when nothing else is forthcoming - it's something he can pick up, drop and pick up again depending on his schedule. An album by the end of 2012 doesn't look likely. He kept saying "next year", "in a few months time" etc about the Boomslang follow-up back in '03 (going as far as to say that recording has finished, it's all wrapped up etc), and then we heard nothing for 3 years until he joined Modest Mouse and shelved the Healers thing totally. I love "European Me" but I'm not holding my breath for a quick release. I imagine he'll be sensible enough to put it out on a small indie label, though.

Last edited:
Boomslang was terrible. Hopefully Johnny Marr is taking his influences from other places in this album!

"Johnny Marr tells us about his upcoming January album", louderthanwar.com

From louderthanwar.com :-

The coolest guitar player in town (when he is in town) and the walking rock n roll encyclopedia Johnny Marr dropped by to tell us about his upcoming album. We heard some of the songs when he headlined in Manchester a year ago at a great gig.

Johnny Marr gave us a brief comment on his new up coming album with 3 song titles and a release time, asking the guitarist last week on his new release he sent this;

The new record is under my own name as I hadn't decided on a final line up for the band whilst I was doing it. Also, it was feeling more like a personal venture. I recorded it in Manchester and Berlin. Some songs are : “The Right Thing Right”, “European Me”, “Lockdown”. It's out on Warner Brothers end of January.”

Re: "Johnny Marr tells us about his upcoming January album", louderthanwar.com

Nice. Cheers for the update!

Back
Top Bottom