"Johnny Marr says The Smiths had a “blind spot” of being obsessed with media and notoriety" - NME (July 5, 2021)

shoplifterromo sends the link:

"Particularly one certain member of the group"

Excerpt:

Speaking to Poet Laureate Simon Armitage for the new BBC Radio 4 series The Poet Laureate Has Gone to His Shed, Marr said that the band could have done with “less” coverage at the height of their 1980s fame.

Discussing how it became their blind spot, Marr said: “I was in a very very big ‘music press’ band, which now I’m older I think we could’ve done with less of that.

“I wouldn’t say it was our downfall but I think it was a blind spot of The Smiths, being so occupied with the media and notoriety – particularly one certain member of the group. I think that could’ve been dialled down a bit and would’ve helped the group out.”

Related item:

Oh, absolutely. I wrote the post you responded to but I agree that I don't think it was a great decision - or at least it was our loss. Although on the other hand, we got Morrissey's solo career, which unlike Marr's has had plenty of highlights and interesting development. I'm not sure Morrissey would actually have developed if Marr hadn't quit The Smiths -

I think the breakup of The Smiths gave Morrissey such a shock that it shook him out of a growing complacency.

o_O :unsure:

Bless him, he looks gorgeous too!

(n)

WTF? he takes a photo of himself
in front of a poster of himself , with
the caption 'set the boy free'o_O
60 yr old boy free with yellow frizzles
in his wig?
this is what the :frogface: has come to?
Katastrofa:hammer:

of an entire interview in which he was asked exclusively Smiths related question of course they had to cherry pick that line... From other things that he's said then and over the years he certainly was very much preoccupied with how the media saw him (hence trying to trick them with the beginning of There is a light, trying to say f*** you with a no-guitar track on Shoplifters, the criticism on him when Craig Gannon joined them as a live band....). I actually think that Morrissey did and does deals with it much better (he complains but maybe has less self-doubt) when it comes to media and having an image). Then this is also coming from the person that can say at the same time that he ever only wanted to be great and not popular and the one who said he was notorious in school for saying he was going to have a number one record. I don't think he's being a hypocrite, just different sides to his personality.

of an entire interview in which he was asked exclusively Smiths related question of course they had to cherry pick that line...

Don't be so naive. Marr is an old hand, and media savvy. He knows a soundbite when he says it, and he knows perfectly well both that any little asides about Morrissey such as this are what the press will focus on and that it's stuff like this, along with anecdotes about The Smiths, that he's expected to deliver as a quid pro quo for the media pretending to be interested in whatever his latest desultory musical project is.

Don't be so naive. Marr is an old hand, and media savvy. He knows a soundbite when he says it, and he knows perfectly well both that any little asides about Morrissey such as this are what the press will focus on and that it's stuff like this, along with anecdotes about The Smiths, that he's expected to deliver as a quid pro quo for the media pretending to be interested in whatever his latest desultory musical project is.

:lbf:

yea , :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: is a froggy Corleone:lbf:

:hammer:

Johnny is rather good at this press game, isn’t he? He knows just what will hook them in but never in a way that makes him look bad. Also in his favor, this whole interview was very absorbing. He tells the stories he’s told a hundred times in a compelling way. He should go into acting.

If you mean The Messenger, I agree. He told the Cribs he was leaving to go solo because it was 'now or never' - I am sure that some of that would have been intended for a reunion album if it had happened. Amazing to think what Moz could have done with this:

He’d have probably sung There is a Light that Never Goes Out, over it. Like he did before.

Not a bad tune (NTV) but can't help feeling it's missing just one key ingredient...hmmm :unsure:
I’m guessing it might be difficult for him to become a bona fide member (given Peter Hook still has part ownership of the outfit), but New Order and Johnny Marr have a mutual need and love for each other. They should consummate the relationship.

I’m guessing it might be difficult for him to become a bona fide member (given Peter Hook still has part ownership of the outfit), but New Order and Johnny Marr have a mutual need and love for each other. They should consummate the relationship.

I don’t know. It makes sense musically and narrative wise but Bernard had some odd things to say about marr in his bio

I don’t know. It makes sense musically and narrative wise but Bernard had some odd things to say about marr in his bio
Really, I thought Sumner and Marr were good friends? The first two Electronic LPs were great. A recent New Order LP I heard involved a song with some guitar which was identical to Marr’s; the whole track was fantastic.

Really, I thought Sumner and Marr were good friends? The first two Electronic LPs were great. A recent New Order LP I heard involved a song with some guitar which was identical to Marr’s; the whole track was fantastic.

Im not saying they aren’t friends but he seemed kinda cagey when talking about him. The story of marr running into a post while jogging because he was looking at himself in a storefront window came from that bio. He didn’t say an outright negative word and had a lot of good things to say about electronic and the music but he told some stories about marr that came off like he wanted to say more and kinda poke some fun at him but didn’t realizing how it would be taken. Mostly about vanity and ego

They are good friends and I reckon there may be another Electronic album at some point.

Im not saying they aren’t friends but he seemed kinda cagey when talking about him. The story of marr running into a post while jogging because he was looking at himself in a storefront window came from that bio. He didn’t say an outright negative word and had a lot of good things to say about electronic and the music but he told some stories about marr that came off like he wanted to say more and kinda poke some fun at him but didn’t realizing how it would be taken. Mostly about vanity and ego

:lbf:

thats :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: all right, running into a pole while checking himself out
in the window:lbf:

i wish someone had filmed it, 'yes mate, in the smiths we had a blind........SPLAT....right into the post:head-smack:

Obvious Bernard has had enough of DramaJs antics:hammer:

He’d have probably sung There is a Light that Never Goes Out, over it. Like he did before.
I thought "Hi Hello" was the one that sounded like TIALTNGO, but now you've said it...

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom