Johnny Marr on The Smiths' legacy and Morrissey: "You can't change history..." - NME

Johnny Marr on The Smiths’ legacy and Morrissey: “You can’t change history. The songs are out there for people to judge” - NME

Excerpt:

Speaking of context, Morrissey has seen his music banned from record stores and posters removed from train stations due to his recent support of For Britain. Are you worried about a generation of people missing out on the music of The Smiths as a result?
“No. I don’t think you can change history. I’ve said that before. I’m not worried. It’s got nothing to do with my world or my life. The songs are out there for people to judge, relate to and hear. I think that’s all going to be forgotten in a few weeks, as these things inevitably are – for better or worse. It’s always been that way. I understand the issue, but I’m used to stuff coming and going. I don’t worry about people missing out on the culture. That would be like saying to a teenage me ‘Are you worried about you and your mates missing out on The Velvet Underground?’ That was never going to happen. I know the way things go. Things come and go.”

While we’re on the subject of Morrissey, did you see the biopic England Is Mine and how you were portrayed?

“I honestly didn’t, and I feel bad because the guy who played me is a really nice guy and was really sincere about it. I just kept forgetting to watch that bit! I didn’t hear great things about the film, though. It just came and went for me. Luckily, I have so many things I want to think about that they distract me from all kinds of stuff.”

Last edited by a moderator:
sam_1683.jpg

Wow! He is so cute!! :love::love:

A beautiful man.

he got

GREATo_O

Comrade Comet will be release a dyamzineo_O wtf is that?:lbf:
that nobody know what it even is.
and it will have some more stupid cometry content.:ahhh:
we can hardly wait:laughing:

Do you think that song is about Moz? It has also crossed my mind that Johnny created a monster.
I don't know all the lyrics. It's a funny title. I don't think he has any regrets about working with Mozz. He shouldn't.

I don't know all the lyrics. It's a funny title. I don't think he has any regrets about working with Mozz. He shouldn't.

Agreed, their catalog of songs is world class and will still be played long after all of us are gone.

Great interview but I am going to be cynical and suspect that he did watch England Is Mine. It reminds me of Moz saying he "squinted across the room" at The Severed Alliance", when we all know he read the bloody thing.
The saddest thing about Moz's portrayal in the media in recent years (most of it self induced) is that it will inform and dominate latter chapters of future editions of books like The Severed Alliance. Like a nasty dessert after a fantastic meal.

(knock, knock) " . . . I'm Johnny . . .".
Of course he has seen England is Mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
(knock, knock) " . . . I'm Johnny . . .".
Of course he has seen England is Mine.

Yeah, I mean he should. Johnny Marr is the deux ex machina, the knight in shining armour - why wouldn't he see it? I loved that movie.

I think it was Clint Boon in an interview with Johnny who said he thought that first scene in Morrissey's bedroom was really well done.

Yeah, I mean he should. Johnny Marr is the deux ex machina, the knight in shining armour - why wouldn't he see it? I loved that movie.

I think it was Clint Boon in an interview with Johnny who said he thought that first scene in Morrissey's bedroom was really well done.

:rolleyes:

hes a :frogface: with a wig.:lbf:

Maybe he was able to see the scene without seeing the film? As in it was sent to him privately or something like that. In any case, Johnny saying he saw it might be taken as an implied endorsement he probably doesn't want to give.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom